Technical Air Mass Meter

Currently reading:
Technical Air Mass Meter

Vivienne61

Hello to all reading.
I hope someone can help.
My barchetta was diagnosed with a faulty air mass meter ( which will of course will be completely replaced ) as soon as the part arrives. Unfortunately this will not be until next week. My question is will I be able to continue driving my car? I need my car to drive me to work etc etc but at the same time I do not want to damage the car engine.
I would appreciate any pearls of wisdom with regards to AMMs

Thank you.
Vivienne

Hi Vivienne and welcome to the forum.

It depends 'how' broken the AFM/AMM is! The AFM/AMM tells the ECU how much petrol to squirt into the engine based on the density and volume of air passing through it. At best the car will run a little rough as the engine is being supplied with too much fuel (or not enough), worse case is the car will not run as the fuel air mix will not burn.

I would not run around in it for too long with a faulty AFM, if the car is running too rich for too long you could coke up the oxygen sensors and ruin the CAT, in a bad case the excessive petrol could result in scoring the cylinder bores, also results in burnt/coked valves.

If you are not 'chugging' or smoking and the fault has been diagnosed from the ECU you are probably OK for a little while, if the car is smoking it is being flooded with too much fuel, if you are experiencing this I would avoid using it as much as possible and don't go for any long drives.

Hope this helps.

Hi and a very warm welcome. (y)

As LRB has said but a couple of things, what was happening to the car resulting in you taking it to the garage? are the garage supplying a new AFM and have they given you an idea of the cost because they are expensive. They can also (depending on type) be very easy to replace and we can give you the tips on replacing yourself or getting partner to do it.

BTW AFM = Air Flow Meter and is a term more widely used than Air Mass Meter.

They can also (depending on type) be very easy to replace and we can give you the tips on replacing yourself or getting partner to do it.
QUOTE]

LOL.

I'm no politically correct purist, but I imagine if a male forum member was after the same advice I doubt there'd have been a suggestion that their partner could do it!!

(Alan, don't take offence, its just my left wing credentials spotted it, so I couldn't let it go!)

Matt

I'm no politically correct purist, but I imagine if a male forum member was after the same advice I doubt there'd have been a suggestion that their partner could do it!!

Matt

That's OK I meet plenty of those with a left wing preference on a professional basis ;) will in future add to both :)

Last edited:
Hello to all reading.
I hope someone can help.
My barchetta was diagnosed with a faulty air mass meter ( which will of course will be completely replaced ) as soon as the part arrives. Unfortunately this will not be until next week. My question is will I be able to continue driving my car? I need my car to drive me to work etc etc but at the same time I do not want to damage the car engine.
I would appreciate any pearls of wisdom with regards to AMMs

Thank you.
Vivienne

--- i think based on my experienced you can still drive your car. just dont rush it to the highway for some race. but you should still wait for the part to arrive to be assure. goodluck.

===princecasanova====

Back