General punto 16v head gasket head problems

Currently reading:
General punto 16v head gasket head problems

philmoore

ok, started head gasket got to taking head bolts taking them off in order, two stubborn head bolts the two bolts are now rounded off because they just wernt coming off.

i have purchased stud extractor drilled down and dropped it in, they both snapped inside the drilled hole, do i try and break the head of the bolt off? or does any one know any easier methods?

Thanks alot:bang:

Look in the Yellow Pages for 'spark erosion'. There are few things in this world that are worse then the feeling you get when you break an 'easy out' inside a bolt.

It may be possible to grind the head off with a small die grinder like a Dremel etc. You'll still be left with the exposed stud to remove, but you'll get a better grip of it. The problem will be if the threaded portion shears inside the block...

Look in the Yellow Pages for 'spark erosion'. There are few things in this world that are worse then the feeling you get when you break an 'easy out' inside a bolt.

It may be possible to grind the head off with a small die grinder like a Dremel etc. You'll still be left with the exposed stud to remove, but you'll get a better grip of it. The problem will be if the threaded portion shears inside the block...

yea at the moment im just trying to drill the head off, its the most annoying problem that could have happend as you say should have been easy removal would a dremel bit be better ?

i already had one of the bolts out to look at the thread and it doesnt look like the thread is in the block as the blot just drops straight down so but the block will need a bloody good clean with all the metal shards :p

you didn't use a bristal bit did you should have asked on the forum first and i would have told you you need aircraft tools lol

make sure you get one before replacing everything or you will snap some more bolt heads into pieces

Last edited:
you didn't use a bristal bit did you should have asked on the forum first and i would have told you you need aircraft tools lol

make sure you get one before replacing everything or you will snap some more bolt heads into pieces

Alright mate, what do you suggest i use to get the stud out, i havnt tried drilling the easy out back out but heard its very diffictult and as above spark erosion may be needed to get it out. i have ordered a stud remover from ebay £10 do you know if they are any good or am i wasting my time, just need to get these two bolts out >_<

any help advide appreciated.

Thanks

erm best thing i suppose is a small die grinder there is a washer under the head bolt so you can grind the head of the bolt completely down without damaging the head then once you have the head off and the tension is released off the stud it will undo out of the block with your fingers or a set of moles if a ittle coroded but by no means will it be stuck fast

not entirely sure were to get bristal tools but if you try to do em up with either tork's or ribbed you will snap one again

http://www.bristol-industries.com/index.html

this may help

Last edited:
FINALLY GOT THE STUD OUT!

used a socket piece 1mm smaller than actuall size brought a bench grinder, ground the end down to make it nice and sharp, hammerd the socket in place then used a t-bar to undo.

About time, just as well the bolts get replaced :)

Thanks for all your help

Back