General fuel ignition warning light

Currently reading:
General fuel ignition warning light

dodgemeg

I had to have a new alternator fitted a few weeks ago and since then I now have the fuel ignition warning light on constantly and I am using more petrol. The mechanic who fitted the alternator has had someone do a diagnostic check but they couldn't get a reading.I am disabled and don't have a lot of money and I believe Auto Electricians are very expensive!!! I am hoping maybe someone has any ideas.

Follow up.Taken for diagnostic test today and they reckon I need a new ECU.The other thing they told me is that the RAC man that came out to me when I originally broke down should not have put jump leads on to my battery and charged it as this can damage the ECU.Does anyone know if this is correct?

Taken to a Auto Electric today to price ECU. They checked and the ECU is fine,showed problem with Pressure Sensor but couldn't get a code.They say they think there are two pressure sensors on the 90 ELX,one is the MAP sensor and the other is a fuel sensor. Any one know and if so could they have knocked....when the alternator was fitted.
Also whilst I have been reading posts on the forum I have seen references to a Red Key,what is it and what is it for and should I have one? Thanks

Taken to a Auto Electric today to price ECU. They checked and the ECU is fine,showed problem with Pressure Sensor but couldn't get a code.They say they think there are two pressure sensors on the 90 ELX,one is the MAP sensor and the other is a fuel sensor. Any one know and if so could they have knocked....when the alternator was fitted.
Also whilst I have been reading posts on the forum I have seen references to a Red Key,what is it and what is it for and should I have one? Thanks
red key is to re program ur ecu for ur imobilser incase u loose ur blue key'

also, if they cant get a code, change ur garage' cause thats stupid.
the map map sensor, fuel sensor is in the ecu'
even if the garage did knock this... its wrapped in a pritty tough metal plate'
inecjtion lights can mean alot of stuff as simple as a air leak and they might be taken advantage of u.,

Just to update and thank everyone. It was the MAP sensor, a small piece of plastic that a pressure pipe fits onto had broken off. £95 + £30 for the diagnostic test,much better than £300+. She's runnung like a dream now.:)
PS. Also the code problem occured because the Cabriolet come under the 1200cc thing and because mine is 1600cc it wasn't showing.

Last edited:
Back