General 1988 MK1 Uno 70SL Restoration Project

Currently reading:
General 1988 MK1 Uno 70SL Restoration Project

YTUNO

My pet project to restore a 1988 Uno 70SL is well underway now. I am running a project website here: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cheyne.g/index.html if you are interested.

It is now completely stripped down and we are beginning the body work. I have managed to find three replacement doors, I just need to find a front passenger door now, and a Turbo boot for the rear. I'm preparing these for paint now.

rsideaj8.jpg

Before
strippedday1xg5.jpg

After

I am really pleased to have not found any serious rust anywhere during the tear down process. I will have to replace the driver's side lower A-Arm as that is rusty, but as the wreckers have 5 unos at the moment that shouldn't be a problem. It'll also need a new exhaust, but I was planning on changing that anyway.

Once I have achieved that it should be ready for its Warrant of Fitness. Then I plan to start tweaking it to make it a bit more fun for the odd Motorkhana and Hillclimb event.

Any tips or suggestions will be warmly received :)

I intend to keep it road registered so it will see some road use, but it is the fourth car (between 2 people) in our automotive family so it won't be a daily driver.

I am amazed at the amount of Uno parts available in New Zealand in general and in Wellington specifically. There are almost too many options with what to do with the car! :)

Today was devoted to body work on the Uno. I am actually quite pleased with how it is turing out so far.

I have prepped the doors, bonnet and front wings ready for painting.

wing%20repair4.jpg

wing%20repair5.jpg

Old vs New

I also located a replacement bumper.
Bumper.jpg

I've updated my website too.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cheyne.g/Progress_So_Far.htm

I can't wait to start putting it back together.

I have found a new set of grooved and slotted front disks and uprated calipers that will look just spiffy on it.

Here is a picture of the new set of brakes that will soon be adorning my Uno:

New%20Brakes.jpg

They are 128 Calipers with EBC Greenstuff 2000 Pads and Grooved Rotors.

Does anyone know if I'll have to upgrade the Master Cylinder or not?

Last edited:
Hello YTUNO,

Looked through your website - good effort! (y)

I like your silver steel wheels - quite 'retro' - they are similar to 128 saloon standard wheels but without the hubcaps.

The brakes - not sure why you are changing the Uno calipers to older 128 calipers - I don't think there is any functional difference except that the 128 calipers are more likely to be corroded/seized by now. I think, if you were looking for an upgrade, you need Uno Turbo front discs. The only worthwhile 'upgrade' for the master cylinder is a new one. ;) Having said that, you can fit a Punto master cylinder and booster (I have not done this, but I have seen it done).

Don't want to sound too critical but I suspect that some of your rust may be back in the future - generally it needs new metal to be welded in to replace entire rusted/pitted areas, e.g. in windscreen frame. But what you have done is certainly better than nothing.

Incidentally, rust on control arms is usually fairly superficial - the bigger concern is the state of the balljoint at the outer end. When that balljoint wears out, the handling becomes dodgy. New arms are available from Autolign, at a random price between $75 each and $150 each (I paid $75 each for mine).

How is the interior? The older 70S model (1984-86) seemed to have a better quality of carpet and trim, and may be worth finding in a wreckers.

Keep us posted with the good work :)

-Alex

Thanks for the compliment on the website and the retro steelies :) They came up a lot better than I thought and sure look better than the original 13" jobbies.

Otherwise, you can be as critical as you want. I wouldn't have put up a website and advertised it on a Fiat forum if I couldn't accept constructive criticism. Especially from someone who has been there and done that like you (y)

The reason I went for the 128 callipers is that they offer more surface area on the pads than the Uno ones. The ones that I have have just been fully refurbished so are good to go. The front disks are for the Uno, they are just grooved. I got the callipers for a good price so I figured that it was worth it for a small improvement. Especially as the original ones were pretty manky.

I am aware that I am fighting a never-ending battle with the rust. I will replace the passenger front door once I find a good one, so the current repair is really just to get through the warrant. The window rust isn't that bad, so hopefully I can keep that at bay until my welding skills are up to par.

I had hoped that the rust on the control arm was just surface rust, but alas, when I tapped it with a hammer it pretty much crumbled. I bought a second hand one from Auckland for $70 including freight that has really good bushes and the joint is in good condition too. So yay for that (y)

The interior is really good. It needs a good clean, but apart from that it is in perfect condition. Well, except for the driver's set which has worn on the side bolster (I will need a racing seat eventually anyway). Even the carpet is still holding together. I think that before the previous owner got hold of it, it had been well cared for. The previous to the previous owner owned it for 9 years and seemed to have looked after it.

I try to update the website after each weekend so I certainly keep you guys posted.

Cheers

Cheyne

Last edited:
Back