General Painted wheel trims..

Currently reading:
General Painted wheel trims..

My old wheel trims had picked up a few battle scars over the years. I bought another set off ebay (from Mandapanda, as it turns out) with the intention of getting one good set from the two. Picked the best four and set to work.

All except one had some kind of mark on, so the orbital sander was brought out and I then painted them up. Rather badly, if I say so myself.

They've been sat at work ever since, and the Panda has had some rather unappealing aftermarket ones fitted in the mean time. However, as I have been at work today doing not much more than look after a machine - which doesn't really need a lot of attention - I thought I'd have another go at the trims.

Getting the old paint off wasn't as easy as all that - it was plastikote, which doesn't respond well to being sanded (lots of clogged paper). I eventually managed to scrape it off with the careful use of chisel :eek: and get back to the base plastic of the trims.

I sanded them up again, primered them which brought out all the blemishes, sanded and primered again until I was happy with them. But, what topcoat to put on? I like having the original wheel trims on the car but thought I would change the colour rather than just go with plain silver again.

I finally plumped for a dark "titanium" silver colour, which seems to have come out somewhat better than the last attempt. I'm quite pleased with it, in fact. Hopefully it won't show the brake dust as much as silver, either ;).

So, here's the result - wot you fink? I'll take some more pictures once they're on the car (and it's been cleaned) :)

3de4c889.jpg

Cheers,

Plug

They look good, will be interested to see what they look like on the car. Photo from an N95? Get your SLR out man, such amazing visual spectacles such as wheeltrims demand high resolutions and fancy composition... ;)

They look good, will be interested to see what they look like on the car. Photo from an N95? Get your SLR out man, such amazing visual spectacles such as wheeltrims demand high resolutions and fancy composition... ;)

I'm not welded to my camera like you are.. but the phone's always in my pocket, so you use what's to hand.. ;)

The N95 takes pretty good pictures for something masquerading as a telephone, and I got the flash in the middle of the trim, that's about as far as composition goes for a snapshot.. what do you want, blood? :p

Cheers,

Plug

Back