General Bad starting

Currently reading:
General Bad starting

pmerryman

My punto 1.2 elx (02) is having trouble starting. I have had a new battery fitted 2 weeks ago, but gradually the problem is still there. I have done some readings on the battery, and they are as follows.

Static - 12.38v
Turning Over 10-11v
Running 14v

Do these readings sound correct. If so, any other ideas about the starting issue.

Cheers Paul

Hi mate,

The readings for the battery sound about right. When you say you are having trouble starting, do you mean that it turns over fine, but the engine just doesn't fire, or that the engine turns over slowly when your try and start it?

Alan

those readings are normal., try the starter motor wires, they can be the problem sometimes, just get someone to start the engine while you move the wiring.,:)

It is as though it is turning over but will not fire. I bought a new battery due to this issue, but the old battery was giving really low readings. I thought it could be something as simple as spark plugs? Due a service in March, and I'm sure that none were fitted on my last service.

cheers Paul

Right, in that case,

Yea check the spark plugs and HT leads. (although, firstly, is the Key code light going out on the dash??)
HT leads break down over time due to the engine heat etc, so they may look ok, but if they are the original ones, they may be knackered. Same goes for the spark plugs. By looking at them you should be able to get a good indication of how the engine is running if they are oily, grey etc. Plus you should check the gap between the electrodes. If they are the original ones that came with the car (which they prob are) they are due for a change anyway.

Best to start with the simple things first before worrying about the bigger things!

Have you noticed any oil or coolant loss at all?

Alan

Sorry about this.

Just been speaking to someone at work, who has heard me trying to start the car, and they have said it seems sluggish (slow) on the turnover, which it probably is, but it will do this for a 5-10 secs and then fire up.

LOL, right ok,

In that case, forget what I said above for now, and go with VTECs suggestion of checking the wiring to the starter motor. Also, check that you dont have your fan on full, rear de-mister on, headlights on etc when starting the car. Turn everything off, start the car, and then turn them on.
If you still get no luck, you may be looking at a lazy starter motor that needs replacing or refurbishment.

Alan

THis may sound like a silly question, but could someone point me in the direction of the starter motor on the car. (pic would be great).

As you can already tell, I'm not very car literate.

Thanks for all your help.

Paul

Another thing about the car having bad starting, is this only seems to happen when the car has been left for a while.

If I turn the car off and return in say an hour, the car will start fine first time, its only when I leave it overnight, or for 12 hours whilst in work.

Cheers Paul

Hi mate, the starter motor is at the back of the engine just to the left of where the gearbox housing meets the engine.

What battery are you using? As it sounds like you may possibly be using one with a too low cranking amperage

Alan

Back