General Panda 100bhp mpg?

Currently reading:
General Panda 100bhp mpg?

shortie

Hello All,

At the moment I have a Seicento and i'm thinking of getting the Panda 100bhp. What I want to know from HP owners is what the mpg is like when the car is:

- Pushed hard
- In town
- On the motorway. (80mph)

I test drove one yesterday and was very impressed with what you get for your money. But a second hand Diesel Panda sporting is making more sense as twice a month I travel a 280mile round trip.

Shortie

My average hovers around the 40mpg mark.that's with a bit of everthing but it only varies 1 or 2 mpg however I drive it.Most I had was at a constant 60mph on a 160 mile motorway trip (58mpg showing on computer) :)

Mine is averaging around 32mpg, but that is around town driving and its only done 600 miles, hoping it improves as the engine frees up.

I wouldnt consider a diesel if I only did 2 long trips a month, get the 100hp, they are so much fun to drive around town and as Andy panda says , if you keep it at a constant 60 on the motorway you will get close to 60mpg, which is pretty good.

80mph seems to return around 36mpg on the computer.

I average 37mpg, but can get to 45-50mpg on a gentle 50-60mph A road run. My kid brother borrowed the car for a week over New Year, all of a sudden my long term average went from 37.2 to 31.9. :worship: He also complained the car felt a bit light at 120mph :eek: I've now worked the long term average back up to 34mpg or so (I never reset trip 'A', and just reset trip 'B' so I can monitor both).

One other major consideration is the ride comfort of the 100HP. If you're doing long trips its not that its uncomfy, but the suspension is quite hard, especially over rough roads.

Hello Again,

Thank you all for letting me know your MPG's. The info is very useful. I've got some thinking to do now.

im on around 32mpg with 10k on the clock, make up of mostly b roads and a roads. but i do tend to use the cars 'abilities' on on most journeys

I am getting 37.5 mpg driving on motorways everyday of the week, sometimes sedately other times more progressively should we say;). I have now covered 13k in 6 months and my mpg has been over 37 for most of that time.

M100 NSY

Bet the 1.6 Golf is a lot slower though. 100hp from a 1.4 is fairly highly tuned - look at what bhp other 1.4s produce. Edit: 1.4 Golfs only make 73 or 78bhp.

I'm waiting for the Angel Tuning remap - every car I've had a remap done on, the mpg improves significantly.

Last edited:
Bet the 1.6 Golf is a lot slower though. 100hp from a 1.4 is fairly highly tuned - look at what bhp other 1.4s produce. Edit: 1.4 Golfs only make 73 or 78bhp.

I'll bet you a 1.6 Golf isn't much slower. Lower capacity engine German cars have a habit of punching above their weight when it comes to pressing on. Golfs included. The Panda 100HP isn't a fast car - its nippy and handles great though.

Incidentally, I love my 100HP, but our 2006 Golf 2.0 Turbo GTi averages 33.8mpg (average on the main trip, not been reset for the past 4 months or so). Even allowing for VW's 10% of computer optimism thats as good as some peeps on here get from their Panda 100s. So yes, the Panda isn't that economical. Maybe a diseasel sports model is needed (like Seat offers).

11K miles.

A spirited motorway and A road 160 mile drive from nuneaton to portsmouth was 32 mpg.

On the way back I took it very easy, no hard accelerating. 70 max on the motorways etc and it returned 39 mpg.

the 39 was without reseting the computer after the trip down, so it was probably a few mpg higher still.

I have a sei, and when i had a 1.1 in there, i used to cry when i needed to use the 100hp. It's not as fun and uses more fuel.

Now i have a 100hp engine and box in the sei though lol

Kristian

I'm getting about 31 mpg in mine....almost all short town trips made with a rather heavy right foot!

I'll bet you a 1.6 Golf isn't much slower. Lower capacity engine German cars have a habit of punching above their weight when it comes to pressing on. Golfs included. The Panda 100HP isn't a fast car - its nippy and handles great though.

Incidentally, I love my 100HP, but our 2006 Golf 2.0 Turbo GTi averages 33.8mpg (average on the main trip, not been reset for the past 4 months or so). Even allowing for VW's 10% of computer optimism thats as good as some peeps on here get from their Panda 100s. So yes, the Panda isn't that economical. Maybe a diseasel sports model is needed (like Seat offers).

The 1.6 Golfs are listed at 10.5 secs to 60, even though they have 113bhp. Easier to get more torque out of a bigger engine, which usually leads to better mpg as you don't tend to cane them.
Reports call the 1.4 Golf underpowered and the 1.6 can't meet it's claimed mpg figures unless you drive real slow.

Bet they're as dull as ditchwater to drive compared to the Panda though!

:)100 hp grey... Just got to 5000 miles over w/end, around town 33/34 mpg. Last trip to London, 38mpg on way back. 3 hours 20 mins and average speed 68 mph. Left Camden Town at 07.30 on a sunday morning.... :D

To pantalaimon,

I think your figures are making much more sense. I've driven the sporting diesel. In terms of torque and rapidness It puts the 1.1 and 1.2 to shame. I know its not as quick as the 100bhp but I think I could live with that.

Last edited:
Back