Technical poor fuel consumption

Currently reading:
Technical poor fuel consumption

chrisknowles

I have a 2002 fiat punto 8v active. Recent fuel consumption has been about 40 mpg. Four years ago when first bought i was getting about 45.
Recent new plugs and head gasket.
my thinking is that it is possibly due to air filter - last changed 40,000 miles and 3 and a half years ago. There is a problem changing the filter in that the filter housing has cracked, reluctant to spend £75 on a new one.
Any ides about the fuel consumption and the possibility of getting a second hand air filter casing?

I have a 2002 fiat punto 8v active. Recent fuel consumption has been about 40 mpg. Four years ago when first bought i was getting about 45.
Recent new plugs and head gasket.
my thinking is that it is possibly due to air filter - last changed 40,000 miles and 3 and a half years ago. There is a problem changing the filter in that the filter housing has cracked, reluctant to spend £75 on a new one.
Any ides about the fuel consumption and the possibility of getting a second hand air filter casing?

Definatly change the air filter thats the first thing to check when diagnosing bad economy. As for getting a new "Airbox" phone some breakers. They are loads of 1.2 8v airboxes knocking around, my local breakers had at least 10 on the shelf!. Try http://www.justpuntos.co.uk/ if you want somewhere thats online. Also worth while checking the ends of your plugs to see how well your fuels burning.

Hi mate,

5MPG drop could also be down to simple things such as tyre pressures, increased use of heaters/lights/demisters etc. So check tyre pressures as well.
As Chris suggested, definately change your air filter, as that wont be doing you any favours anyway.

Alan

Last edited:
This might sound stupid but the thermostat can cause fuel consumption to go low, i know someone who changed one and got better consumption, quite weird eh? Not saying that will be the problem though but ive heard its recommended to change your thermo after replacing the HG, also with your filter being cracked that wont help at all if airs getting in there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I noticed in another post that a faulty cylinder head gasket could lead to poor fuel consumption with no other symptons. As I've just had a new head gasket fitted, I suppose it's possible that this was not fitted correctly and it's still causing problems. Is this fairly easy to test for? i.e. compression test

Mate 40 mpg is wicked!
I'm currently getting 27.1 mpg average! Ive got a 2003 punto active sport 16v with 25k on the clock.
I must admit its down to my driving style and a sound system that ruins the mpg but comon you're getting 40mpg thats loads! lol

Back