Technical steamy headlights and fixes?

Currently reading:
Technical steamy headlights and fixes?

my headlight are steaming up now the sun has come after all the rain.is there a way of getting in there to sort it out,and one of my light covers has gone blurry looking any ideas.

aslo one rear is steaming too when you touch it there is movement so how are they cliped in as i guess mine is not fitted right
p.s my b lives on the drive so always has to put with the weather have got a cover but it keeps blowing off another problem!!

Place a gel pack in each headlight

you know the ones you get in a box of shoes or similar

i used to have the same problem with my E36 and this was how i resolved it

place one just inside the cap,dont worry it wont melt.

You can remove the headlights, use Meguir's PlastX to clean them inside and out, then fit them back tightly closed. Easy but will take time. Be careful not to break the clips.
Good luck!

PS: Some black silicon under the headlight (under the main unit) could help sealing it.

TBH the climate in the UK is so changeable that one day you have heavy rain and the next bright sunshine.

I am yet to meet a b owner in the UK who does not suffer from this issue - Stavros' suggestion could work but tbh I don't think there is any way you can get away from condensation. Also, if you do seal the unit you will probably suffer from condensation in the summer on sunny days................... :(

is there a guide on the site to show how to get into lights so i can polish covers?

Erm, nope, 'fraid not!! TBH the cost of replacing the headlight unit (if you break it while trying to get into it) is not cheap - I live with it, it does not interfere with the headlight projection on the road - but then I have converted to HID's!!!

Police friend of mine advised that that have more important things to do (Donuts/chips etc) than chase down cars with HID's. Unless they are blatantly stupid..ie funny colours, dangerously bright/badly adjusted etc.

The DOT says HID retrofits are illegal on any vehicle which didn't have them fitted OEM by the makers. Enforcement is apparently a grey area. There's an issue anyway with focusing the beam. Older cars where the front element does the focussing (old Renaults for example) have a problem with HID's. Cars with projector lamps like the B are normally fine. Both my Coupe and the B had to have the lights adjusted after fitting HID's but went through the MOT fine.

Hi there all,
My B went trough the MOT test last week with success and the only note on the HID lights was
"main beam intensity - low"
LOL!!!:bang:
I think I can now go for two sets of off road lights like these!!

PS: this is Greece....

Attachments

• front_left.JPG
    front_left.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Are there any bulbs that one can buy that work better than the normal ones? I can't be bothered with getting HIDs - nor do I want the rally look on my B :)

I'll have to remove my head lights before I have my car fixed so I figured I might change/upgrade the bulbs at the same time.

eBay links accepted (y) (Btw., blueish bulbs are usually not legal here afaik.)

Osram silver stars...30% brighter than ordinary bulbs. You could try fitting higher rated bulbs but HID's are really the way to go. I live in the middle of nowhere..central Ireland with terrible roads. I've got HID's in side lights and 100W main beams,,and the bulbs are fine, no plastic melting or buned out wires ..yet!

All the roads here are lit, so with a normal car with normal lights there are no problems seeing the road - it's only with the little boat with its marvellous lights that I have no sense of what's going on in front of me. (I know what's on my right hand side though: The ditch :eek:) So I think I'll just upgrade the bulbs - especially now that I couldn't afford a HID kit even if I wanted one :(

Osrams like these?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Ahh huh..prepared to pamper the car, tune the car, and probably (having seen some of the roads in Norway) go faster off the edge of a cliff into the abyss...would have thought HID's were a damn good investment on simple safety grounds.

Last edited:
Back