Technical Punto I - Code lamp blinking after immobilizer replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Punto I - Code lamp blinking after immobilizer replacement

Punto.owner

Hello, I have a problem with my Punto I. The car is a 1.2 60sx Year: 1996.

I have the red key the two blue keys and the original FIAT code card with the mechanical and electrical code.

The problem
I just had a replacement engine in the car (the new engine is the same as the old one). Neither the original ECU nor the immobilizer code box was replaced. After the engine replacement, the code lamp stopped working and I was not able to start the car. It could only be started by using the electronic code using the speeder and counting blinking lights at the dash, the procedure works, but it takes 1-2 minutes each time and it is driving my nuts.

I went to a Fiat dealer telling him about the problem, he told me the code box immobilizer was damaged (he tested it by putting in a code box from another Punto, this turned the code lamp permanently on) Then he sold me a brand new code box for 180£.

Solution - what I have tried so far
I went home and installed the brand new code box, and the code light went on blinking in sequences of two blinks. The code lamp did not stopped blinking when I put in a key in the ignition. I have tried recoding the keys by putting in the red key into the ignition and turn it into the MAR position (the code lamp keeps blinking) then remove the red key from the ignition, and one by one putting in the blue key into the ignition turn it to MAR position and ending up with the red key again. This procedure did not help at all, the code lamp keeps blinking and I can only start the car by using the electronical code – just as before the immobiliser was replaced.

I have talked to the FIAT dealer again, and he told me that he would like to perform some measurements before he would be able to diagnose the car. I my ears this sounds expensive and I have already paid a fortune for the new immobilizer code box.

Any ideas are welcome - hope you can help :)

Thanks

Punto owner

They saw you coming 180 quid for immo!!.
Possibilities are:-
Wiring, relay or connection fault.
Corrupt code in ecu.
Immobiliser corrupted by not using the red key first after installation.
Check out the ring antenna. Winding resistance should be about 30 Ohms.
I can check out the system for free if you are local and can drop it in. (keys/immo/ecu/antenna). Otherwise postage cost.

check the wire from code box to engine ecu may have been snagged during the swap

by the way he cannot sell you just a code box

it's a hole lock set and ecus or nothing from fiat or a scrapped car

looks like he sold you a piece of crap

i would say put your car back how it was and take it to someone that knows a thing or too see if you can get your 180 quid back

i would help if you bring it to me in cumbria pm me if interested

even when those code box and chips were available they were only 60 quid

Last edited:
yep..only £70 odd

we sell loads,its a virgin codebox so just needs programmed with new keys.

Punto.owner....2 flashes indicate faulty aerial,faulty transponder or control unit has receved wrong code.

o thought the engine ecu took code from code box on first connect meaning paired for life

or is it other way round code box keeps engine ecu code

remember on mk1 puntos often the keycode light would stay on & non-start (intermittently) most times its the code box at fault & changing it & prog keys sorted it.

However whose to say punto.owners ECU is at fault:confused:

remember on mk1 puntos often the keycode light would stay on & non-start (intermittently) most times its the code box at fault & changing it & prog keys sorted it.

However whose to say punto.owners ECU is at fault:confused:

no what i meant is i thought the code box code if you will was linked to the engine ecu

otherwise you could just swap one from any car into it to make it work not so secure

or does the new code box memorise the engine ecu code first time you turn it on
then also take the first key it sees as the master key

Its in FIAT CODE BOOK you should have at work,bit sensitive info for public forum;)

PM if you want

yea i do have that blue folder will have to do some reading thanks anyway

and yea i agree i seen a lot of code box failures

al thou my car was engine ecu failure manually input code with pedal and examiner an no joy

so i have lying around a functioning code box and key

not much use unless someone has a virgin ecu

Last edited:
hi m8 have been reading the forum and see you are quite clued up on the workings of the fiat punto. anyway was hoping you could maybe shed some light on my prolem. i have a 2001 fiat punto mia mk2 which i have replaced the engine. i have used all the original electrics ie,cam sensor,intake manifold and ecu from my original engine. the only thing i have chaned is the block and head. even used my original gearbox, with a new clutch. now when i try to start her my ignition lights are coming on no problem but my code light is staying on permanantly. i have no red key as believe my model did not requitre one and have no code card. but as code light is not flashing do not think this start up procedure would be much help. have checked all the earth points to make sure they were good and have replaced the battery but still no luck. any possible suggestions would be welcome as apart from taking to fiat for megabucks dont know what to try next. hopefully you can help and thanks for takin the time to read this.

can i sort all this out with kdp and got two leads to udb1 or does it neeed takin apart?? much appreciated ric..

any idea how to remove immobiliser all together?or solder some of the wires together so it bypasses the stupid thing, got me virgins ready

Back