General A popular thread - Engine Anti Pollution System

Currently reading:
General A popular thread - Engine Anti Pollution System

Sasquatch

I have a 2003 2.2JTD Eleganza. I had the same error messages - "engine anti-pollution system faulty" as well as "particle filter regenaration cycle urgent". I had same loss of power which cures itself if you switch the engine off and restart (although the engine management light stays on). The problem also seems to go away after a while and come back seemingly at will. Usually triggered after driving a while at a steady speed.

I have read many threads on this and several causes have been offered up, namely:

1. Particulate filter fluid needs replacing / topping up
2. Forced regenaration required - I had this done when it first cropped up but it didn't work
3. Faulty Lambda sensor
4. Faulty overboost valve
5. Faulty throttle position sensor
6. Faulty turbo

I may have missed one or two. I cannot see anyone posting a definitive solution to this problem as yet (no-one seems to have updated their threads with results of work done)

The major advice seems to be - Find a dealer that knows what they are doing and are appropriately trained, as this will save a fortune on initial diagnostics.

Is there such a dealer in the London / SE Area that anyone knows that fits the bill?

Thanks
Sasquatch

Last edited:
Ours never got sorted - dealership seemed to wash its hands of it.

Still, Ulysse long gone now - ex-wife got shot of it a few weeks back; car had broken down massively at 37k miles, the dealership in Northampton treated her like ****, and I opened up a case with FIAT UK with my disgust (n)

She ended up getting it fixed via a Peugeot mechanic, and sold it privately.

She ended up getting it fixed via a Peugeot mechanic, and sold it privately.

What was the problem and how was it fixed? I am just trying to gather as many outcomes / solutions as possible, so that I can present my deealer with a load of likely solutions and hopefully save hours of diagnostic cost!(y)

Thanks
S

What was the problem and how was it fixed? I am just trying to gather as many outcomes / solutions as possible, so that I can present my deealer with a load of likely solutions and hopefully save hours of diagnostic cost!(y)

Thanks
S

each case is different though......could need fluid,artificial regeneration,software update,wiring/component fault etc

Ok, I have now spoken to Days MK and have booked the old bus in to be checked out next Thursday, following recommendations on this Forum as their competence and Customer Care. First impressions are positive.

I will let you know how I get on.....

Another item that can be linked to this problem is a faulty Fuel filler cap. There is a sensor in there if I'm not mistaken. When I first had the problem and on a long journey it appeared as if I could get the engine management light to go out by opening the filler cap. This may have been a coincidence and in my case a turbo change was the only thing that cured the problem though I have not been on a really long run since.

Lou

Thats right Lou,the ECU keeps a count of how many times car is refuelled & also if fuel cap is on/off.If it doesn't 'see' cap or should I say car being fuelled it can get confused & unsure of state of the FAP.

So I took it to DaysMK and certainly the Customer Service is excellent. Examiner Smart analysis revealed the following on Diagnostics:

Preheating Relay Short Circuit to Ground
Temp Sensor blw Cat Open or Short Circuit to + Batt V
Overboost Valve Pressure too high
Diesel Pressure Control Pressure lower than required
Phase Sensor RPM signal feasability
Anti-particulate Filter Overload

They cleared all the faults and proceeded to do a 10 mile test drive which kicked nothing up. On the Journey to DaysMK from Watford (45 miles and Motorway) the EOBD light had not come on and no message on the Driver Info System.

However, when I took it home, not 10 miles or so down the M1, on came the light, up came the "Engine Anti-pollution System Faulty" message and off went the power!

Took it right back and connected back up to the Examiner Smart, which threw up the following:

Preheating Relay Short circuit to ground
Overboost Valve Pressure too high
Temp Sensor blw Cat Open or short circuit to + Batt V.

David reckons the problem is mechanical and probably associated with either the Turbo or the Overboost Valve itself - which apparantly can clog up? It is worth noting at this point that when you free rev the engine, the turbo cuts in and whistles. Also when you are driving and release the accelerator pedal you can hear the Turbo whistle quite loudly as the revs fall. Apparantly this is not right?

David is trying to get some advice from Fiat in Italy and I am awaiting the next steps advice from him.

In the meantime, the light predictably came on again on the journey home, but has consequently gone out again, as the car has only done short journeys around town in the last few days.

The FAP fluid level was checked and found to be at least 40% full. Also, all obvious connections and Grounds have been checked.

Any thoughts or comments?

Ta.

Last edited:
The Turbo on ours whistles under the conditions you mention sasquatch but we have no problems currently. Tubos made that noise for ages now.

Just a final note to this thread.

Decided that this was going to be one of those faults that would continue to haunt me until the end of time and could potentially cost loads of money just to establish what was wrong.

Therefore the Ulysse has been swiftly dropped like a hot potato and part exchanged. Cut my losses and moved on.

Thanks for all contributions and advice.

Happy motoring. :slayer:

my anti pollution system fault seems to be linked to fuel cap ,,, and level of fuel in tank ,,, if i run the car with less than quarter of tank i get no fault ,, car drives like it should ,,with full power ,,,(y)

but take tank level over half tank and ,,tada ,,,,, fault comes up within min...... getting used to running with next to no fuel as i dont do long runs its mostly school and shopping runs ,,, but thats not a fix just a way round the fault ...

so is it my fuel cap sensor ,,, that thinks cap is off so chance of pollution from spilled fuel ,,,, hence ANTI POLLUTION WARNING :bang:

Last edited:
Back