General Car smells like old oil - Help

Currently reading:
General Car smells like old oil - Help

tony316v1

HI, All

Wonder if anyone can help. Got my car couple a month ago engine was leaking from rocker gasket had that replaced 2 week ago and engine streamed off. So there no oil leaks. Changed the air filter, Sparks, fuel filter oil, oil filter just before the rocker messed up. but when i put the air blower on all you can smell is oil but there no leaks. So can anyone think what this could be.

Fiat punto 1.2 8v team 60 1999 MK1

Thanks
Tony

Last edited:
Hi, Could be not really too sure. Cant see it being the head gasket if your thinking that has only just been done before i got the car. Also fiat did the rocker cover and only found a problem with my cooling fan which was changed and also advice the sump. That why i was thinking it could be the oil which was smelling has it was smelling like this but stronger before the rockers was done. What is the easy way to see if it is the gasket thats gone again or do you think it could be somthing else.

Our lass says it smells like someone has died , musty sort of smell.

Thanks
Tony

Last edited:
Hi, m8

a what lol.

Fill me in. Wheres that located and what do i need and how do i check

Tony

Would it still on cold or just hot or both if it was this part.

tony

Hi, yes that sounds right windows take for ever to clear and have always keep it on warm on window setting to keep them clear and back windows alway mist up. Is there a quick way of tell 100% that it is this and any idea where can locate a part for this

Tony

Last edited:
check your coolant level has it gone down

my car take forever to demist but i put this down to not having air con and breathing lots as i know for sure my cars coolant system is fine also the current weather does not help i use my car regularly and it's perfectly dry inside just steams up especially when i have more people in the car

if your still sure it's the heater matrix then go with that for now but other things that may case the dead people/oldoil smell

posibly the sump you were advised on is leaking oil onto your exhaust causing it to smell old or burnt

also gearbox drive shaft seals can leak onto the exhaust mine did and the smell was awful

heater matrix normally smells like sweet antifreeze and makes it hard to breath or if it's been on going for a wile stale cat ****

HI, all update

Ruling out the heater matrix has coolent level is prefect no lost, Inside of the car is not wet/damp or anything like that. Has for the sump its not leaking it just no far from it lol. So still not sure why it smells.

The smell is 100% a musty smell but not sure why or what.

Thanks
Tony

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
they are not 102 quid from fiat that's a lie there about 44

ring your dealer and ask them to cross reference 46515152 with your chassis number

there are a few different sumps so be sure before you order

£123 + VAT from fiat over here. lol robbing b*****ds

Back