General Failed Mot

Currently reading:
General Failed Mot

philmoore

My car has failed MOT on:

near side rear brake recording little or no effort [3.7.A.4a]

Anybody know how this is fixed, is it a case of just tightening handbrake and is there any way of testing that the problem is sorted.

Ive looked at the shoes on the nearside rear and they look fine against a new set.

looked at handbrake and one side seems to be pulling tighter than the other.

Any help much appreciated.

Hi mate....Low brake recording is normally down to a leaking wheel cylinder and/or a siezed wheel cylinder. Obviously the shoes dont look wet/damp? Try pushing the shoes to the left and right of the cylinder and see if the cylinder piston moves. If it doesnt with the aid of a screw driver, the possible wheel cylinder down

Hi mate....Low brake recording is normally down to a leaking wheel cylinder and/or a siezed wheel cylinder. Obviously the shoes dont look wet/damp? Try pushing the shoes to the left and right of the cylinder and see if the cylinder piston moves. If it doesnt with the aid of a screw driver, the possible wheel cylinder down

Great i will check it later on the pads looked clean when i looked at em but the cylinder just looked dirty and old.

thanks for your help

the rear brakes are fitted with a self-ajusting system which quite frequently doesnt work ,you can alter it by hand until the drum only just fits back on and it should be there abouts

90% chance, its seized.

as most punto's just un around town and dourdle about the place. even when driven hard and braked hard, its often not enough and not regular enough to keep the back end working and dried out.

I would just bung some new cyldinders in there as a matter of course. they're only £8 a pop, you need 4 ideally.

also the self adjusters seize up at the drop of a hat (as do most drum rears) dismantle them, clean them, refit, lube up. test. test again (y)

90% chance, its seized.

as most punto's just un around town and dourdle about the place. even when driven hard and braked hard, its often not enough and not regular enough to keep the back end working and dried out.

I would just bung some new cyldinders in there as a matter of course. they're only £8 a pop, you need 4 ideally.

also the self adjusters seize up at the drop of a hat (as do most drum rears) dismantle them, clean them, refit, lube up. test. test again (y)
is it just the wheel cylinder that needs changing then and readjust the self adjuster, have you ever had it fail on this?

Thanks alot

yes, 3 times in 3years!!!

despite me driving the thing quite hard, braking heavily on uneven surfaces from high speeds quite regulary, and not leaving it parked up for any real amount of time, they still seized up.

so replaced the lot. and the car brakes fantastically, and more importantly, squarely :D

yes, 3 times in 3years!!!

despite me driving the thing quite hard, braking heavily on uneven surfaces from high speeds quite regulary, and not leaving it parked up for any real amount of time, they still seized up.

so replaced the lot. and the car brakes fantastically, and more importantly, squarely :D

Lol, when i brake it doesnt seem to pull to one side tho, i will get them changed as if you have failed on it then thats good enough for me.

Have you ever failed on rear radius arm bush deteriorated, i need to get that changed got a kit coming on thursday.

Thanks

Back