General Sloppy shifter!!!

Currently reading:
General Sloppy shifter!!!

smokeme

Established member
My shifter is really sloppy, in 1st it shakes almost as if it were in neutral others don´t stay behind. Just wondering how to correct this to have a tight shifter or is this normal for pandas.

BTW: I have a 4 speed gearbox
Thanx in advance
Sorry for all the posts but i´m in the process of repairing/modding the car.We need a working faq on this site!!!

Your gearbox selection transfer bracket (Sorry I don't know the correct name) is worn out, I had the same problem on my 1000CL. See link for a picture of the part, which is for sale if anyone is interested.

http://www.00dk.f2s.com/misc/panda_bracket.jpg

Regarding FAQs - if you have found a good fix for a common problem, write it up as a short FAQ, I'm sure one of the moderators would post it up as a "sticky" item - so it is always at the top of this section.

It probably needs to be a team effort to produce several different ones for specific faults, as I don't think any of us knows everything about a Panda, but I'd guess collectively most things would be covered.

Comments, please Steve??

You could use my "before you get the tools out" one from the Cinq/Sei section, as I'd hate to think anyone got injured/killed working on a Panda which fell off a jack onto them while carrying out repairs detailed hereB)B)

Also ask Pete if you can use his head gasket one, as it is spot on AFAIK.

I was thinking more on a "vote to faq" style, where someone writes a post people think it´s good so they vote it to faq and thats it, it´s been used on one of the forums i frequent a lot(www.twinturbo.net) and no it ain´t Fiat related.

Where the lever is bolted to the bracket there should be a square peg fitting into a square hole. This invariably wears round and a quick fix is to build it up with weld then file it square again ...

Another way is just to weld the nut on as it does much the same thing.

But replacement is always the best. You can get at it from inside the engine compartment if you remove the spare wheel and jack ...

Steve the geriatric Panda and Beagle freak, but can't see no problem in running a Brava in the meantime ...

beaglerunc.gif

beaglerunc.gif

Do you have a pic of the part?Because I've the same "problem" on my lever...[xx(]

<--Can my face look like this if I meet a Danish and/or a Swedish supporter!?

second post has a link but here´s anothe courtesy of Weta

http://www.00dk.f2s.com/misc/panda_bracket.jpg

replace all bushings, they look like plastic washers with a small lip.

Can't understand where this part's located yetB)!I took a look underside the car and into the engine bay, but I miss something...btw, how much has been to you the spare??

<--Can my face look like this if I meet a Danish and/or a Swedish supporter!?

Enzo, if your Panda is new enough it may have a cable and rod system from the gear lever. (and a different type of gearbox - C514 )

Early Pandas (up to about 1993 in the UK market) have a number of rods from the lever to the gearbox, which go via that part.

The part in the photo needs to be rotated anticlockwise 90 degrees to put it near the correct orientation.

The ball at the left hand of the picture (as shown) has one of the gear lever rods popped onto it.

the other rod end, at the bottom right hand corner of the picture, is clipped(?) onto an arm at the top of the gearbox.

It´s located on the back of the engine(betwen the engine and firewall) between the engine and transmission(just about where the starter is) but as John H mentioned you might not have this sytem. cost was at 62 euros aftermarket(it uses a different alloy it´s a bit heavier then the stock it replaced and it included the bolts, bushings and clips)
hope this is of some use

Back