Discontinued PS3

Currently reading:
Discontinued PS3

forevertom

Just been into the Sony Centre and they were telling me that the PS3 60gb is going to be discontinued.

Does this mean we are getting the 80gb one or are we just stuck with the 40gb?

Don't see the point in the 40gb as they said it isn't backwards compatable and you don't get as many usb ports etc.

Stuck now as I wanted the 60gb for Christmas.

Help :(

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6180547.html

Following yesterday's official announcement by Sony that a 40GB PlayStation 3 would be offered for £299 in the UK, Nick Sharples, director of corporate communications for Sony Europe, said that the 60 GB model would be going the way of its American counterpart, into oblivion.

Just like in North America, the 60GB has stopped being produced and when the current stock is depleted, that is the end of that model in the UK. The 40GB model will then be the only unit available for purchase in the UK. The new model however, lacks a multi-memory card slot and PS2 backwards compatibility which could presumably be an issue for some potential buyers.

"We are looking forwards, not back," Nick Sharples said "It was clear when Sony first launched the PS3 in the UK that backwards compatibility as a feature was an issue, it's now becoming less and less important."

When asked how much stock was left, Sharples would not give an exact number but figured there was 2 to 3 months of stock left.

"Anyone who wants to buy a 60GB PS3 for Christmas is not going to have a problem", he stated.

What is still unclear is whether a new model will replace the 60GB SKU or if the 40GB model will remain as the sole SKU available in the UK.

its a great move........for M$ ;)

Last edited:
At the moment you can still get the 60gb version in some GAME stores coz i gt mine from there, and as for the backwards compatibility, the guy in store told me that is just a software download which will probably become available from the PS3 network thingy :p lol.
He also said you'd have a hard time filling up 40gb worth of space just with games :)

At the moment you can still get the 60gb version in some GAME stores coz i gt mine from there, and as for the backwards compatibility, the guy in store told me that is just a software download which will probably become available from the PS3 network thingy :p lol.
He also said you'd have a hard time filling up 40gb worth of space just with games :)

if it was open as a download then why would sony state no backwards compatibility of it was avalable as a download?

the hard drive isnt really the issuse as such(but i will come back to that) but the fact it loses 'hard features'
the USB count is down and the memory card reader is gone.fine if you offer 2 models but with only one available the UK is getting a poor version vs USA/japan.
as for the hard drive and memory card readers.sony set the ps3 as a media centre+ games console from the outset and the GUI lends twards that. now its going back to being a console.

the same goes for hard drive space when they intended on offering HD content for download

Last edited:
What is the issue with dropping some underused features, makes perfect sense really if it means the price can be lowered, I can see it being an issue with some people who must have all this extra crap even if they never use it, suspect 95% of people will never actually use these things anyway. I guess the MS loverboy crowd will find it something to bitch about...

Last edited:
Anyone know any sites selling 60's still or is it too late?

Last edited:
Um.. I did hear and read that sony will be releasing an 80gb eventully. May if it is true they are waiting for sales to increase on the 40gb.??

What is the issue with dropping some underused features, makes perfect sense really if it means the price can be lowered, I can see it being an issue with some people who must have all this extra crap even if they never use it, suspect 95% of people will never actually use these things anyway. I guess the MS loverboy crowd will find it something to bitch about...

the fact is they are leaving no choice.
as i said opening a lower spec model on a lower price is fine.
remember sony berating M$ for using software emulation? yet sony did the same and now drop it completely.
i still dont get them dropping it as adding BC via software surely carries negligable costs

Backward compatibility really is pointless. I think I played 1 PS1 game on my PS2. Games have a shelf life and rarely will people return to them once the next thing is out. I'd rather save £50 than have backward compatibility. The choice to drop software compatibility is interesting but probably means they can cut back on the in-house costs associated with maintaining, updating and distributing it and direct those resources into something else or just reduce their costs. You think if they just employ one bloke to work on this that will cost them nearly £100k per year, soon mounts up.

Backward compatibility really is pointless. I think I played 1 PS1 game on my PS2. Games have a shelf life and rarely will people return to them once the next thing is out. I'd rather save £50 than have backward compatibility. The choice to drop software compatibility is interesting but probably means they can cut back on the in-house costs associated with maintaining, updating and distributing it and direct those resources into something else or just reduce their costs. You think if they just employ one bloke to work on this that will cost them nearly £100k per year, soon mounts up.

i agree,and have posted previously i have little interest in BC in any console bar perhaps the WII full BC model.
however as for saving money on updating BC,does that mean those with BC enabled machines can expect the list of supported games to remain the same now?
seems a strange choice in the big picture.

TBH at the moment sony look like a company struggling to cut costs wherever they can after failing massivly to generate sales of expected numbers.
you can hardly hold M$ up as a shuning example of a prefect launch/sales model but it seems the stronger of the two.

nintendo are the true winners of this generation of consoles by miles

i would have been gutted if i couldnt play halo 1/2 on my 360. they were and still are quality games. £50 extra so that the £500+ worth of games dont become obsolete seems worthwhile to me.

and i thought the ps3 had the ability to play any ps2 games? withought the need for software updates unlike the 360. at least until it was droped to cut costs.

sort of.
in the UK as of now we have the 40gb down specced unit.
other countries have full spec models but only with software emulation.

ah how i remember sony ripping M$ for using software emulation ;)
incedently the only reason M$ went software was the changed to ATI for the graphics chip on the 360 and only held the licence for the nvidea GPU on xbox 1

well sony stated there was enough.however who can say that given no one can predict sales.
end of the day sony stopped production and i guess a lot of retailers are more interested in the 'new' 40GB model as its cheaper and possibly generates more sales plus upselling on games,accessories etc

MS have definatly got the better sales model, their console is cheaper, its good and they've got a great selection of games. I'm not convinced with their gimmick marketing lots fo versions and special editions, but it's smart because invariably the type of person to buy a console probably goes for the fully loaded bumper pack, end of the day if it plays the latest games that's all that matters to me not playing old games I lost interest in. I'm led to believe the Sony console is technically superior but without the games that's nothing. MS have benefitted from releasing a console 1 year earlier and the PS3 doesn't have any killer games yet. Sony slipped up, the delivered it late and too expensive, they invested billions on cell chip technology and their PS man payed by losing his job. It's well documented that both Sony and MS lose money on every console sold, Sony more so I believe so cutting costs is probably important until they meet critical sales mass and revenue targets through games sales. Long term the PS3 will be a sucess, it's already sold several million and I think it even outsold the Wii in Japan recently (week on week sales figures but will it keep it up?), but they're a year behind everyone else, competition is strong and economys are looking shakey so maybe people will have less money for luxuries such as consoles and games....

Last edited:
nah ps3 just rediuced WII sales in comparison.
IIRC it was 6 wiis sold for every ps3 in japan.they have closed the gap to 2 to 1 ;)
however this is expectable given people already have the WII

part of sonys problem was they were focused on rivalling 360. nobody could have predicted the WII being so strong.
in japan the 360 isnt a rival so sony would have been confident of mass sales (though 360 has already sold more in japan than the xbox ever did!) but the WII has hit them hard.
in real terms the next round of consoles could be a true 3 horse race given ninty will be a far stronger contendor.

dont get too caught up on M$/sony losing money on consoles as this has always been the case.the WII is the only posible exception given its more a gamecube V2.0
however given sony tends to develop its own hardware opposed to buying 'off the shelf' as M$ do they are usually faster to cut production costs

Back