Technical Rear door gas struts

Currently reading:
Technical Rear door gas struts

Lynt

The last few days, the rear door on my 03, 1.9 jtd elx doesn't always open to its full height without a little help from me. Some days its ok.
If it means the struts are going, has anyone bought them? From where? Are they easy to replace?

I hope they're not expensive :(

The last few days, the rear door on my 03, 1.9 jtd elx doesn't always open to its full height without a little help from me. Some days its ok.
If it means the struts are going, has anyone bought them? From where? Are they easy to replace?

I hope they're not expensive :(

Mine have been like that for about a year now, they don't seem to be getting any worse but I have to be careful I don't walk into the corner of the door.

Mine have been like that for about a year now, they don't seem to be getting any worse but I have to be careful I don't walk into the corner of the door.

I might not have to rush out and replace them then. ;)

The original struts really aren't that fantastic either, they only just support the weight of the door - either that or my 18 month old struts are on their way out.
When I add my cycle carrier, the struts cannot handle the additional weight. I imagine the rear door is quite a meaty beast but would have thought the struts would be more than capable.

Problem I have had on quite a few cars. Seems that the onset of cold weather lowers the efficiency if they are a bit below spec.
Glad I have back doors, not the tailgate, don't like the idea of that dropping on me!!

I've had struts go on older hatchbacks - although they won't be as heavy as dobbin's hatch (but the struts should be engineered to cope) and I've found that when one fails, the other is strong enough to barely support the hatch, causing it to slowly close.

Problem I have had on quite a few cars. Seems that the onset of cold weather lowers the efficiency if they are a bit below spec.
Glad I have back doors, not the tailgate, don't like the idea of that dropping on me!!

Funny you should say that, the last few days we've been looking at temps of -3, -5 & -1 & I've noticed my tailgate's reluctance to open fully. When I helped it up I could push it another 12".
Guess that means mine's dying.

Hmmm, it's only 18 months old so I reckon I might take it to the dealer & see what they say.

Had to happen didn't it?
Had the salesman ring me yesterday afternoon asking if everything's ok with the car (he's rung me quite a few times since I bought it - surely he can't believe I'll be buying another motor in his lifetime:D (he'll have changed jobs long before)).
And in the evening I shoved a bike in the back & noticed the door didn't lift all the way & even dropped slightly:eek:.
Took it round to Perry's today & explained to 'Bob' what happened. He tapped away on his computer & I got a text. I then waited a couple of minutes for a technician to have a look - to verify the problem & note the mileage (for the Fiat warranty). They'll order the parts & let me know when they're in so I can book it in.

Watch this space.

I've just been on the phone to my local Fiat Dealer, and the struts will cost £24.95 + vat each. Very disappointing price. :(
He said that he has only sold 5 pairs, since 2005.
So sounds like I've been a bit unlucky.

The struts are still sort of working. The door does raise when I open it, but not all the way. Some days it's worse than others.
So I should buy some sometime. Don't want it falling on my head!

Lyn

Last edited:
Mon 21st. Went in to see what was happening about my struts - apparently, they were waiting for me to book the car in before they ordered the bits:eek:

Soonest I could book it in was 31st.
Got a phone call at teatime, the struts are on back order so have to cancel the booking & await a call from them to let mer know when they come in.

What an idiot. I completely forgot about the struts until on my way back from picking #2 son from school. Phoned Perry's & explained, he told me to go back 2pm Friday.
Left myself notes everywhere & got there for 2pm.
Got the car back by five to three - not sure how much of that was taken up by fitting the struts, paperwork etc.
Anyway, they're working fine now.

Back