General Traction Control

Currently reading:
General Traction Control

HELP!!!!

Have read many threads about ASR and Traction Control but none seem to answer my problem so here goes.

When pulling out of my drive onto steep wet hill my inside front wheel spins madly, warning light flashes on dash but nothing seems to cut in to stop wheel from spinning.

I used to have a VW Bora TDi with traction control and with that you could bury throttle and not get more than slightest slip from wheel and pull up the hill

I literally go nowhere in Stilo to point of smoke pouring off tyre, whats going on ?

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

Car is Stilo Multiwagon JTD (115 bhp) Dynamic

NottsCharger

On that note, having driven my mates cupra R since the stilo had its engine changed......I think the stilo ASR/TC works much better, it allows for a bit of wheelsping, and a bit of funsies whereas the Cupra is far too intrusive and won't let you have any kind of fun (until you turn it off...)

Do all stilo's have traction control? Or is traction control the ASR system? I assumed ASR was an extra like ESP/DSC and that the stilo had standard traction control. Where i live, i have to pull out of a blind uphill T junction so theres no time for slow pull outs, just swift no skiddy antics or else theres a major risk of getting walloped.

I once pulled out at bad timing so i buried the LOUD pedal in first gear and i got nowhere, except from a lot of engine noise and tyre screeching. This was in the dry on Dunlop SP Sports Maxxs.

i dont think they all have traction control :confused:

there should be a button by the left side of the gearlever i think if there is (y)

mine doesnt have it i dont think.

best wait for someone to post who knows better then me though :p

Mine just has the CITY button. I always believed the stilo had traction control as standard. I guess it isn't so. I'm grown up enough now though to never need to try it out.

The traction control on the Stilo is fantastic, as it has a slight delay and actually has a level of comfort.

Again, to the hated 307 I had through work earlier - I was wondering if the airbag would strike me everytime I had a wheel spin.

M.

Do all stilo's have traction control? Or is traction control the ASR system?
No and Yes :)

You only tend to find ASR on the higher spec models (also more common on early models).

ESP (which is stability control rather than traction) is fitted to even higher spec models.

Fiat later started installing combined ASR & ESP systems which incorporated the ASR functions within a single ESP control system (A button is AWAYS provided to disable ASR as you sometimes need this in snow & deep mud etc).

As suggested, as a cost cutting exercise, many of these features have been removed from newer models :(

Used to find the traction control/stability control on the 1.6 over zealous, almost seemed to keep you in suspended animation when pulling out of juctions after slowing down from speed... waiting for the crunch and deployment of airbags! :eek:

On the JTD on the other hand, the electronics only intrude when your driving like a loon or when the unexpected happens - which is how it should be (y)

Well in the Abarth there is a definite delay before traction control kicks in when you can get some wheel spinning, but it then kicks in so smoothly it makes me wonder if its actualy drip feeding power to the drive until the tyres grip or just controlling the throttle response in the selespeed to ramp up at its own pace to where my accelarator is?

Last edited:
My active has the ASR button and ive never fully understood what it was for, but ive never been tempted to switch it off.....yet! :devil:

You'll need to switch it off when it's snowing or you'll get nowhere. ;)

I was wondering if the original poster had modified the car at all. If perhaps the wheels where changed, the difference in circumference would maybe trick the ASR maybe?

Was told by a mechanic friend of mine that if you always drive with the CITY mode on that you'll bust the servos. He said he's had about 7 or 8 Stilos in this year for the same problem.

Its almost obvious that youll nacker the power steering if you leave City on, to be honest I rarely use the city button, buts its nice to have it just in case! (y)

Back