Technical Aircon - broken pipe

Currently reading:
Technical Aircon - broken pipe

Hi.

Has anyone experienced a problem with their aircon? My light * comes on when I press the button but the air doesn't get cold, not even when I press the resurc button as well. I've checked the fuse f19 next to the battery and it's fine. Any ideas or experiences of the same would be welcomed!

Cheers,

Simon

Simon
'03 Stilo 1.8 Dynamic 3 door, Crystal Green.

Fiat can't fit aircon that actually works! Check the pipe mine bust 3 times on my Punto.

March '04, 5 dr 1.4 Stilo Active & Sept '00, 5 dr 1.2 HLX Punto.

I have a 1.6 Dynamic with climate control. I had the exact fault you describe. I returned it to my dealer who repaired it under the third year dealer's warranty.

A pipe had burst. The pipe is one that went from the compressor which is belt driven and on the left hand side of the engine compartment as you look into it with the bonnet up and goes across the front of the engine before bending towards the engine bulkhead. At the bulkhead there is a valve with a black plastic cover with the letter L on it. I presume for low pressure. There is a valve adjacent to it with a black plastic cap with H on it.

I do not know if it is related but one day I got into the car and there was a very unpleasant smell, there was a similar smell when I collected the car after repairs and I assume the smell came from the refrigerant. Could be wrong though.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Hi,

The Air Con is one of many faults I have had. I had what the dealer called a 'Burst Pipe'. I had a strange smell appear one day followed by the Air Con packing up. The dealer fixed the problem under the third year dealer warranty.

Maybe the same fault.

Hope you get it sorted.

Mark

Thanks for the advice. My dealer diaganosed the fault as a "fractured metal hose / pipe". The part (46841699) is on back order from Italy and not in stock in any other dealer, so strangely I find myself hoping for cold weather in June! This appears to be a common fault as the dealer sort of diagnosed it over the phone and confirmed it within 10 minutes. I'll contact Fiat tomorrow and post an update!

Simon

Another person in the club, mines going in on wednesday to fix (hopefully if the parts arrived)
Dont think the Aircon ever worked in the car since we got it un august. Only found out for sure when we took the car over to holland where it had been 25c and belting directsun light, making the car extremly hot.

Scorg

02 Stilo Dynamic 1.6
Sky Blue
01 Brava 80SX
Ink Black

The saga continues. The part will not be delivered from Italy until 9 June. Fiat Customer Relations said there are none in the country but I would qualify for a hire car and not to tak no for an answer from my dealer. The dealer said as the car is not off the road I don't qualify. Fiat CR then backtracked. I hate poor service & right now I hate them. It's been said before, if Fiat want to improve the reputation they should visit this forum. Now wonder they're ranked 31 out of 34 dealers, with Alfa @ 34. What hope have we got?

Simon

Scorg, do what i do now, if Anold Clark phone your home and leave a message don't phone them back, let them leave at least 2 more messages before you lower yourself enough to speak to them! :I

53 plate, Stilo 3-door, Sassy grey, Alloys to follow, 1.2 Active, 5-Disc CD-Changer -- 45mpg!

They managed to call the day, but answered first time, found out the part wasnt in yet (blame the termoil in italy!) so the car aint going in tomorrow. Better to find that out today rather then tomorrow morning anyway

Scorg

02 Stilo Dynamic 1.6
Sky Blue
01 Brava 80SX
Ink Black

hope some one can help me as i have a puddle of water when i stop the car after i have had the aircon on, is this a problem or normal

cheers

Thats the condensation sitting on the compresser from what I understand. Thats normal from what ive been told

Scorg

02 Stilo Dynamic 1.6
Sky Blue
01 Brava 80SX
Ink Black

Bugger mine's just gone too!

I don't use it much as I like the windows open and I'm a tight bugger on the fuel but it was well warm today so I switched it on - nothing. Exact same problem as described here. I will have to contact my dealer.

1.6 3dr Dynamic in Azzuro Sprint. Standard apart from mats, sill kick plates and rear spoiler.

hibs72 thats completley normal, all aircon cars I've had if you stop the car after using aircon will have a puddle appear underneath.

March '04, 5 dr 1.4 Stilo Active & Sept '00, 5 dr 1.2 HLX Punto.

The part arrived today so is being fitted and regassed in the morning, Finaly some Air con, was needing it yesterday as the car was unbelivably stuffy

Scorg

02 Stilo Dynamic 1.6
Sky Blue
01 Brava 80SX
Ink Black

June 6th 1944
You will not be forgotten

I've booked mine in with Fiat next week to check it out. The guy said over the phone if the gas has evaporated then I'd have to pay for the refill.

I had the 24k service today (non Fiat dealer) and they checked it over quick and couldn't find anything obvious, the diags on the system were clear too.

Therefore it's likely to need a refill. So:

a) Does anyone have any idea how much that's likely to cost?
b) Should it evaporate so quickly? - in less than 2 years!
c) Anyone had the same and got Fiat to cover it?

TIA:D

1.6 3dr Dynamic in Azzuro Sprint. Standard apart from mats, sill kick plates and rear spoiler.

Hi Biaggi

Now I do not have any knowledge on these things at all. But it would seem to me that the gas cannot evaporate, it is a sealed system like your refrigerator and the only was the gas can get out is via a leak.

I had my climate control repaired under the third years warranty the fault was caused by a burst pipe. I was told by my Fiat garage Priory Motors in Manchester that if the fault was caused by a component failure then it is covered by the Fiat warranty. If it was through another problem such as a wiring fault I would have to pay for it. In the end it cost me nothing. There were no problems.

I would suggest that you ask the garage to explain how the gas can get out of the system other than through a leak as it is not open to the atmosphere. I asked Priory to examine the system under the third year warranty and to advise me the cost if I had to pay for the repairs before proceeding.

Chris

dont except paying, not if its a broken pipe, as thats definetly covered under the warrently

Scorg

02 Stilo Dynamic 1.6
Sky Blue
01 Brava 80SX
Ink Black

June 6th 1944
You will not be forgotten

my display on the aircon will flash and the * will go off,pressing * makes no difference ,but got no blower fan anyway,booked in to get new fan fitted and check aircon under third year warranty.

51 stilo dynamic in red and 16" alloys with pirelli p6000 56000mls

Back