Technical Thrust Bearings????

Currently reading:
Technical Thrust Bearings????

mdsremos

Just looking at buying a Punto S but the seller has mentioned that the thrust bearings are on they're way out and would cost about £100 to replace. Does anyone know if this is a big job or is the guy quoting the right sort of costings involved!

Cinquecento Sporting and proud of it!!!

its an easy job but the gearbox has to come out to do it so you may as well get the clutch done unless its new,so cost that into your haggleing.best to phone for real quotes on the job.just looked at your profile,is this car for you?

A Dog Is Not Just For Christmas
Sliced Thinly It Can Last Till Easter

It CAN be done without completely removing the gearbox, but it's still a pain in the arse of a job. A complete clutch kit costs £60 and that's for a Delphi Borg & Beck kit (i.e. much better than standard Fiat item!).
It took me and a mate an hour and a half to swap my clutch this way...then a few months later I had to change the whole gearbox anyway [}:)] which took us about two hours to do. A decent mechanic should be able to do it in the same time...although it takes 3 and a half for Fiat mechanics ;)

Oh, and Custard, the ages on this site are always wrong, according to my profile I was 70 for a while! :p

<font color="navy">Punto 55SX</font id="navy">

JB3.jpg

jonnyboy i think you will find 3.5 hours is the book time from fiat which is how long they say the job should take.
(btw its much less than this really)
afaik its main dealer policy too charge book time for a job regarless of technician time spent, i know some fiat techs who can change a clutch in under an hour.

FOA mdsremos: assuming a thrust bearing is what i would call a clucth release bearing £100 seems too little an estimate, however this is as expected from someone selling a car.
i would surgest too haggle the price down a bit and get the clutch changed with the bearing.
my opinion.

uno 1.0ie RAAAWW!

Back