General Fiat Ulysse, 1997, 2.0S, petrol, no a/c.

Currently reading:
General Fiat Ulysse, 1997, 2.0S, petrol, no a/c.

Triniquint

Water has emptied onto the street from under the bonnet area, and a quick look seems to show the bottom seam of the radiator is leaking. I've managed to locate a reconditioned radaitor which is being sent to me, but have no workshop manual on the car. Is the removal and replacement of the radiator as straightforward as it at first appears? Any information on how to do it would be appreciated. I can usually struggle through but, as when I changed the drive belt on our tumble drier, I attacked it first, got it off, struggled to get it back on, but managed ok. After the event I then went onto the net and discovered that instead of taking the back off the tumble drier first (which is what I did, and had the drum to contend with), I should have done it slightly differently and given myself less hassle. I am wanting to avoid this with the radiator replacement - any ideas?

It WAS easy - just unclip the top, pull out the hoses at top right, and bottom left, disconnect the fan plug, and the temp sensor plug, and remove the air filter. It then just pulls out - easy as pie.

However, having answered my own question, I cannot simulate the leak, and am hoping the system has to be under pressure for it to leak out. Either that, or it isn't the rad, but something else. I've ordered a replacement rad anyway, as the one I have pulled out is 10 years old. All I can think of to test it is to blow smoke into it, and see if the smoke comes out where it shouldn't. Any ideas on this - or do I do it, and then answer myself again?

Hi

I have a 99 model with a/c. No a/c is a bonus as there is only the one radiator to remove and hence more room to work.

The top and bottom hoses are not held on by jubilee clips but by wire springs, just a larger version of those for all the electrical connectors. A flat bladed screwdriver will get them out.

The top of the rad is secured by 2 springs which latch into the metal cross panel. Depress these with your thumb to disengage and pull radiator towards the engine. The bottom of the radiator is held by 2 pegs and needs no disconnecting.

Having disconnected any electrical sendors you should de able to lift rad out.

As Haynes would say, replacement is the reverse. The rad fins are aluminium and delicate so if space permits put a towel or whatever over engine and ancillaries before dropping new rad in place.

Refilling on mine took a long time possibly because of a/c. I forget how many bleed screws there are.

Hope this helps and apologies if my version isn't the same.

Sean

Back