Currently reading:
General ESC

Robert M

Anyone know if there's an ESC button located on the steering
column stalks? I'm getting tired of the daily ritual
"Emergency Calls Deactivated" <ESC>
"4 Type Pressues Sensor(s) Missing" <ESC>
"Child Safety Activated" <ESC>

Some days I even get each message twice <ESC> <ESC> . . . .
it would be easier if I could vanish them from a stalk.

Also, I've managed to develop my vocabulary beyond the
sole example in the manual "radio . . . memory . . . three"
to do things like make a call and get guidance to a destination,
however - does anyone know how to (a) switch the radio *off*
or (b) hang up on a call without having to fiddle with the buttons
on the telematics unit? Unit claims to understand words like
"cancel" and "stop" but I've no idea what effect they have -
certainly don't seem to switch off the radio.

Robert <ESC> <ESC>

Hi,

No, there is no ESC key on the steering stalk.

No doubt the first two messages will be sorted once you get into see the dealer. As far as child safety, turn it off maybe, then switch it on as you drive away. Doesn't the message disappear after a bit anyway.

As far as I know, no way to stop a call by voice activation; for starters, how would you do it? What happens if you press the left hand stalk button during a conversation?

Have you tried saying 'What can I say?' to preview all the words that can be used, and the tree structure for each menu/sub-menu. Maybe this will help you.

Stu

Fiat Ulysse 2.2JTD Eleganza, 53 plate, with options :D Angel Tuning [see ad] tuned ;)

The first two messages should definately get cleared by the dealer (through the magic box of tricks that is Diag2000). As Stu says, the 'child safety' message should clear on its own after a few seconds.

I also don't know of a way to voice disconnect from a call (apart from telling the person on the other end to hang up of course)[:eek:)]

Pressing the button on the end of the bottom-right stalk (the radio one) will however disconnect the call without you straying too far from the steering wheel.

John ;)

John quoting himself again [:eek:)] - oh just spotted it, edit button missed on the 'too far fro mthe' and 'too far from the'.

Interesting point about pressing the bottom-right stalk - another HOT tip for the Hints n Tips thread!!!!!

Fiat Ulysse 2.2JTD Eleganza, 53 plate, with options :D Angel Tuning [see ad] tuned ;)

Got the edit and reply with quotes buttons mixed! Sorted it now!!! :I

You didn't know to use the 'change between radio and CD' button on the stalk to drop the call.... shame on you! :D

You probably don't also know then that if you press and hold that button for about 5 seconds, it brings up the telephone menu with a choice of 'recent calls' and 'directory' so you can select any number the phone already knows about and call it from the steering wheel......

John ;)

John, thanks for these tips, you're much better than the manual.

Stuart, I have the car booked in now for next week, so we'll see how much this dealer knows about Ulysses; hopefully I'll be able to see that little FIAT logo that I believe lives under all these messages.

It's not so much a "what can I say" command I'm looking for, as a "what does it do" command . . . I suspect "stop", "cancel" both do nowt in the current version of the software - still, this is one aspect of the car that hopefully should improve over time - isn't software wonderful?

... but the manual is a LOT easier to store! :D

Some of the voice activated stuff makes me laugh... for example, you can press the button on the top left stalk, say 'radio', and switch from CD to radio, but you can do the same thing by pressing the button on the bottom right stalk!

If you want the radio/CD off, you can press both the volume buttons on the bottom right stalk at the same time and mute it - not quite the same I know, but better than nothing.

While on the subject of buttons, you may know that the top right one if pressed toggles through various screens to do with the fuel economy display. Well, if you get on one of the screens that has an accumulated trip total and average MPG, if you then press and hold the top right button, you can zero the stats and start again.

John ;)

The "guide to" and "call" commands are pretty cool though (after you've recorded your destinations/phone numbers).

I did work out the fuel economy stuff - quite interesting to keep it on the
"instantaneous" setting and see what happens when the car gets to grips with one of the many hills that dot the landscape around here.

Not got it sussed yet, but from the manual the overspeed alert in the same general area seems a bit limp, i.e. it might have been easier to key in a speed value rather than have to drive at it and then press the right buttons.

None of this stuff is distracting the driver's attention, of course . . .

Cheers!

Originally posted by John_K
You didn't know to use the 'change between radio and CD' button on the stalk to drop the call.... shame on you! :D

You probably don't also know then that if you press and hold that button for about 5 seconds, it brings up the telephone menu with a choice of 'recent calls' and 'directory' so you can select any number the phone already knows about and call it from the steering wheel......
I admit, I don't even attempt to use the telephone in the car. When I get my hands on the car for a weekend or evening blat, I just use my Nokia 6600 [if you open up the second cup holder in the dash, it fits perfectly :)] with a bluetooth headset. Nice and easy.

Every time I have phoned the car to speak to the mrs, I just give up. Easier to leave a message for her on the home ansaphone, lol. Plus less grief ;)

Stu

I Have the same messages, and my dealer don't know how delete it.
I m a french, and i begin to believe that my dealer is very bad (grosse buse in french :D).
My dealer don't know that we must purge the gazol filter every 5000km !

Alro

Alro,

You mention about the diesel filter. This is mentioned in the service manual. But is not something too major, and the Telematics system will alert whether there is too much moisture in the system. Also, I only use quality Shell diesel :)

Stu

PS Your dealer does sound grosse buse. Surely they must have access to the Diag2000/Examiner system?

Alro,

As Stuart says you will be alerted by the Telematics system but from what my dealer tells me unless you use low quality diesel then this will not be a necessary job. Maybe somebody who has done a lot of miles like John K can comment.

Lou

I desagree .... Even if you use hight quality gasoil, there will be water, due to condensation. And it's very bad for injector (and motor so).
Try to purge the filter, and you will be very surprised by the quantity of water.
Are you sure for telematic message ?

Alro

Alro,

Please see this thread, it has come up before:

https://www.fiatforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5259

I think my dealer may have meant it would not be a necessary job at such short intervals. I know some of the Telematics' options can be turned on or off but I would assume that if this is such an important maintenace task that this alert would be on by default (though we are talking about the Ulysse here)and cannot be turned off. That's why somebody like John K maybe able to comment as from what i have read in this forum he has done quite a lot of mileage and should have seen this alert by now. Now this is the first Diesel I have ever driven but I find it hard to believe that you would be expected to carry out this task at least twice if not three times in between service intervals.

Lou

My car has been in and out of the dealer for other stuff and it's possible that they've done it as a matter of course and not told me.

I've not had to specifically do it myself, and the car hasn't complained about this (yet!).......

John ;)

The next time I pop into the dealer, say for next update [hmm, whenever that may be], I will confirm the Telematics' option.

I know FiatExpert has said it should be there, it is just the nature of the warning that needs clarification.

Well, for the record, all my <ESC>apes have gone.

Car at the dealer last week.

Tyre pressure sensor warning vanished by "reconfiguring" the telematics.

Windows (did I mention the windows - the driver's one would close half-way
and then open again) were "re-learned" (now the passenger one does this
instead, hmmm).

The no-show diesel pre-heater is normal with direct-injection engines.
Okay, it starts.

I also took with me a bundle of printouts from the FF on the
Connect Nav topic (thanks, guys!), enough to convince the
dealer that the Connect system should be connected, and, joy,
a week later, Francesca connected me. That bit wasn't easy,
dealer sent the fax on Friday, but it apparently got lost:
phoned Saturday, office closed (despite dealer & form saying
to phone Saturday); phoned Monday, no trace, told to call back
Tuesday; phoned Tuesday, no trace, took my name, told to call
back Wednesday; phoned Wednesday am, no trace, took my name,
told to call back in 2 hours; phoned Wednesday pm, no trace,
took my name, told to call back Thursday; phoned Thursday am,
no trace, took dealer's phone #, told to call back pm; phoned
Thursday 4pm, got the "office closed" message; phoned today, with
little hope, but hooray, 'tis done. Did someone say this call centre
was in Italy :)

Now I need John my substitute manual to tell me what I can do with it!

Robert

Hi Robert,

I have never ever had trouble calling Milan. Wonder what number you are using? Francesca, hmmm, new name. I think I have spoken to a few, namely Henry, the South African bird and one more.

As far as what you can do with it, just press the green button and try it - similar to a conceirge service in a way! Hotel bookings, roadworks, phone directory, etc.

Btw, good news about the ESC problems - see, easy :D

New Fiat Ulysse 2.2JTD Eleganza, with options :D <font size="6">VOTE FOR ME</font id="size6">

The connect service is a nice gimmic, but to be honest I do not consider it good enough to pay for. I used it for 3-4 months after being connected then stpped after the novelty wore off. I certainly won't renew the service after the 1 year free service expores in September.

John ;)

Back