house moving tips please

Currently reading:
house moving tips please

Dobby

Barney, Dennis & Larry
we've finally had our moving date. The end of this month, that gives 3 weeks of packing right? wrong, we are away next week so it only really gives us just over 2 weeks.

It shouldn't be too bad as we're moving next door and luckily the bad weather earlier in the year blew down 2 fences in the back garden which we've never replaced cause this move was always on the cards.

I've got 2 massive fish tanks, 2 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, 2 kids and a husband and 4 years of cr*p to move

Help....any tips or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!!!

ps, will invite you all to the housewarming too :D

Dont wrap the animals up too tight in bubblewrap for starters! (y)

Tell us what you lose... evryone loses something somehow! :mad:

Dont wrap the animals up too tight in bubblewrap for starters! (y)

Tell us what you lose... evryone loses something somehow! :mad:

The fish are proving difficult to stay wrapped in the bubble wrap, gonna have to re-think that one :p

The only thing i'm likely to lose is my marbles, lets face it if anything is missing i'll come and say hi to the new neighbours and ask if they've found it

Noooo... stuff vanishes into the ether... you dont leave it behind or anything normal like that... it just disappears like it never existed!

ok well i don't have as long as i thought, just had a phone call and we have to move on the 21st :eek:

Ok, fish tanks: Siphon the water off into buckets or bottles and keep hold of it. Label the bottles so ou know which water goes to which tank. Your tanks should be either the last or first thing you move. The fish should be bagged up, or left in the tank or placed in the buckets. They'll be fine as long as the heater and filter are turned off for no more than an hour. Obviously be as quick as you can and dont cause any undue stress. If you want more information try the forum at thinkfish. You'll probably need to register, but it's a fantastic resource.

Ok, fish tanks: Siphon the water off into buckets or bottles and keep hold of it. Label the bottles so ou know which water goes to which tank. Your tanks should be either the last or first thing you move. The fish should be bagged up, or left in the tank or placed in the buckets. They'll be fine as long as the heater and filter are turned off for no more than an hour. Obviously be as quick as you can and dont cause any undue stress. If you want more information try the forum at thinkfish. You'll probably need to register, but it's a fantastic resource.

oh what a star!!! that was one of the things we were most worried about, obviously its not a massive move but we have 12 baby mollys so were more worried about the stress it would cause them, will check out the site (y)

OOooh I moved next door a few years ago and it was great, just ambling back and forth with armfuls of stuff :D Get plenty of boxes and binbags - twice as many as you think you'll need! Start thinking about and packing an overnight bag of essentials you'll need that night and if possible, get a friend nearby to sort dinner and refreshements so you have one less thing to worry about :)

Good luck with the move (y)

Don't forget to tie a label with your new address around your husbands neck. Losing a CD is bad luck but losing a husband would be considered careless.:p

THROW THE JUNK AWAY BEFORE BOXING/MOVING/THINKING OF MOVING IT!!!

seriously weve been in our new house for 4/5years now, and STILL have a double/three car size barn FULL of boxs of junk which we'll never use again. please please please, bin it (skip don't bother trying to get £££ for junk it'll consume your life) and move on!!!

/serious bit over.

why the hell are you *just* moving next door? £20,000k cheaper or somesuch?

why the hell are you *just* moving next door? £20,000k cheaper or somesuch?

Its bigger. The kids will have their own rooms, i will have a dining room for all those sophisticated dinner parties i always promised myself :rolleyes: main bedroom en suite :worship: and i shall have a garage.

No, its more expensive:D

The first thing is to obviously make a game plan

The decision of moving to another place is however exciting, but packing up is something most of the people fear.It is better to hire professional movers if you want hazel free move and can afford it. But if you have decide to move by yourself. here are some useful tips.
1)First you need Make sure that you create a complete inventory of all your belongings that you will be moving to your new address
2)Make sure you have enough help and trucks/vans to load up your boxes
3)Before you start packing up your house, decide what you really need to bring into your new home. Many things lose their value or use over the years, but you still hang on to them
4)Do not wait until the last minute for packing. Start from that room which you do not use most
3)You will need to have the following materials in order to start packing.
Strong boxes, Wardrobe boxes, Bubble Wrap, newspaper, Markers etc
You can find cheap Boxes and all other packing stuff on Box Site. They have very Interesting packages
For other useful packing tips you can check this site boxyourstuff.com

Back