General Bravo HGT Lacking Power

Currently reading:
General Bravo HGT Lacking Power

cornholio

Bought a Bravo HGT a while ago and it just doesn't seem to have the power it should. It is an X plate so is the 155 version. I have changed the MAF sensor but hasn't made any difference. Is there anything I should try before going to Fiat. I am planning to check the compression next week, what pressure should I be getting on each cylinder.

Thanks.

Was serviced about 2000 miles ago only had oil change etc. Had a cambelt change just before I bought it, car has done 92k.

I have changed the plugs and air filter since the service but no difference. Was thinking of changing the fuel filter as well as carrying out a compression check.

possibly, timing is out..

However first Would do all the normal service procedures, fuel filter etc. Also whack some injector cleaner through the tank and put some high octane fuel in it.

Can I check if the timing is out or is it best to take it to Fiat?

Checked the compression this evening and have 200 psi on each cylinder. Good result I think. :D

Spoke to PowerFIAT who suggested I try another MAF sensor as the ones on e-bay can be dodgy. Should of guessed as £40 on e-bay v's £220 from Fiat.

Anyone in the Bristol area got a MAF sensor I could try before I fork out some serious cash?

get under the car with someone to dab the accelerator and see if the exhaust is leaking anywhere, if it is you will be lossing power though this, Ive had this problem a few times with the cars I owned in the past.

dont buy an ebay maf, dont buy any maf, just disconnect yours. if you notice the power returns at higher revs it means your maf is the problem, so take it off and carefully clean the hot film. do not use an oil based cleaner, some brake fluid on a clean lint free cloth does the trick nicely. if the problem persists it means you need a new maf, then its scrapyard time for a £10 maf, making sure you get a bosch one. many other cars can supply the maf, inlcuding almost all twinspark alfas.

by the way, your compression test result is excellent, it suggests you've got a healthy engine (y)

get under the car with someone to dab the accelerator and see if the exhaust is leaking anywhere, if it is you will be lossing power though this, Ive had this problem a few times with the cars I owned in the past.

Since when there is problem with leaking exhaust in a turbo engine?

This could happen in atmospheric engines which need to have exhaust "compression". But the turbo is the exact opposite.. Or?

Since when there is problem with leaking exhaust in a turbo engine?

This could happen in atmospheric engines which need to have exhaust "compression". But the turbo is the exact opposite.. Or?

An HGT is N/A

Also exhaust blows can put lambda sensor readings out even on a turbo engine.

Back