Technical The terrible sounding engine

Currently reading:
Technical The terrible sounding engine

Robot

Established member
I know this might be a long shot, but listening to the attached mp3, could anybody please give me a quasi-diagnosis on what might be causing this engine sound?

First, there's the diesel sound...I did have the variator and cambelt changed - but to no avail.

Second, there's the grating/scraping sound when the revs go down (from about 0:55 in the mp3). I didn't have that sound before I had the variator changed.

Third (this might not be too audible in the mp3 as I had the mic close to the variator area, while the sound originates somewhere from the lower left hand area), there's a metallic clinking/rattling sound that usually becomes audible when I rev hard, and when changing gears. Something loose in the clutch area?

The engine does strangely enough seem to be working fine, apart from these sounds...:eek:

Sorry about the shi*e recording - I borrowed a mate's minidisc recorder (why on earth did people buy that :confused:) - and I was fiddling with finding the volume knob so as the levels wouldn't clip (henced the mic-poking sounds), and then for some reason I couldn't find the throttle thingie under the bonnet...:eek: :eek: )

Attachments

• Fiat Barchetta Terrible Engine Sound.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 142
Sorry mate but can't listen to it just now as the Mrs has the TV too loud even with headphones :(

However the noise you describe sounds very simmilar to a noise I had on the panda which turned out to be a knackered roller bearing on the timing belt, I honestly thought that the gearbox was shot as the noise was being heard from the n/s of the car even though the bearing was on the o/s. If they have changed the cambelt and replaced a pertially worn bearing the extra pressure on it with the new belt could knacker it very quickly OR whoever did the timing belt didn't check it's condition.

The mettalic rattling is FOR SURE the exaust manifold cover which vibrates along with the engine and when tuned rattles and makes this noice (sounds like you are pulling metal pieces tied behind the car).
Relpacing it with this should solve the noise.
http://cgi.ebay.de/Fiat-Barchetta-H...8QQihZ002QQcategoryZ61410QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As for the rest its hard to tell just by listening to the mp3. I would say variators but you said they have been done. Sorry.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Just heard it now, there is def a massey ferguson ring to it :( To confirm the above re the manifold cover have someone hold it tight against the engine with a long screwdriver or piece of wood if the rattle stops then that that job sorted.

The tappits are loud as well so would remove & check not sure if they have shims or not if so check for size. I would also check the cam lobes for wear, I would also still check the roller bearing on the cambelt.

Doesn't sound right! I'd go with Alan.D's ideas. Too me it sounds like tappets and roller bearing. I think the roller bearing could be the slow down noise.

I don't think the heat shield is contributing much to the noise, as mine is cracked and doesn't sound like that, in fact it needs to be driven to hear it, there's almost no noise at tick over or revving.

Good luck (y)

Sound like my diesel Ford Transit robot:D :D
Apart from the obvious heat shield and I am sure that you are clever enough to have already dismissed that?:D Then I would be finding myself a mechanics stethoscope and with the engine running, the cambelt cover off and your tie out of the way:eek: I would be probing every single moving part around the cambelt:)

Thanks guys - I'm not sure I understood half of what you wrote, being technically challenged and all :D. But you've given me a few pointers that I could give to my brother - I'll see if he can make any sense of it :). If that doesn't pan out I guess I'll hand the car over to a Fiat garage and have them give it a thorough once-over. Any estimate on what such a job would cost (I'll just double or triple the cost to convert it to Norwegian prices :cry:)?

I don't think the rattling noise is the heat shield - it originates from somewhere on the left hand side, although I'm having a hard time pinpointing it. I'll nontheless buy a new heat shield as the one have looks well beaten up :slayer:

Sound like my diesel Ford Transit robot:D :D
Apart from the obvious heat shield and I am sure that you are clever enough to have already dismissed that?:D Then I would be finding myself a mechanics stethoscope and with the engine running, the cambelt cover off and your tie out of the way:eek: I would be probing every single moving part around the cambelt:)

That is sensible (y)

This is a knackered roller bearing..
DSC00272.JPG

The bearing, is that on the tensioner thingie that comes with the cam belt kit? If so, it was changed with the variator - so probably not that.

Anybody got a spare engine they want to donate to me? :D

Dont write off the bearing even though it is quite new, have it checked out with a mechanics stethoscope like I said;)

I will be no one's guinea pig, I'm a free man :slayer:

Seriously, though, I will be keeping the current engine - I just need to figure out where to get the money for fixing it, and where to fix it.

Driving down to Poland or Germany would be ideal (duty free sausages, Schlager CDs, Lederhosen etc.), but I'm a little apprehensive to that as I'm afraid the engine won't make the trip (although Flensburg is only 650kms from here).

The local Fiat dealership is orginally a Mitsubishi and Chevrolet :yuck: dealership, but they also carry Fiats and Alfas. I do however question their expertise. And price :eek:

The third option is to have two Polish blokes give it a go. They're cheap, and although they have no expertise with Fiats, my brother can vouch for them as he's worked with one of them at the local Suzuki & Citroen the last 10 years or so. Typically, my brother just quit his job there last week...:bang:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Back