Technical sump replacement

Currently reading:
Technical sump replacement

balajit

hi, looking for help!

my garage says that the sump to my X reg Punto needs replacing. To save money, Ive tracked down a new sump off ebay and have asked my garage to fit it. My garage say they will need 'sump gaskets' too so they can fit it, but i cant find mention of these anywhere amongst parts sellers. Can anyone clarify, will just a good sealant do???

oh thanks. that makes sense. (y)

is there a particular type of sealant i should get....??

Oh right, much better solution.

Although I apply the sealent to the sump then hold it up so tube or gun the application is easy anyway.

fiat glue is about £14 but it is defo the best

cut the end of the tube so that you end up with a point of glue sticking up from the sump this way you will get the best seal and make sure the surface is clean and free from oil

when you hold it up to the engine don't let it drop again or it will bugger the seal maybe get someone to put the four nuts on wile you hold it then put the rest of the bolts in

ps. you will need the dipstick out to fit the sump

Hi
I recently replaced the sump on a 1.2 Mk2 punto after breaking through a very corroded sump supporting the engine whilst changing the timing belt.
Since changing the sump and using hylo-mars red gasket seal the engine leaks oil. However it doesn't appear to be coming from the sump seam, rather up in the engine/gearbox join.
Is it possible that the crank seal has been disturbed when moving the engine around and are these supposed to be changed when fitting a new sump?

Any suggestions would be great as I'm spending more on oil than petrol at the moment!

Back