General lewis's thread.

Currently reading:
General lewis's thread.

everybody read this....

Just thought i would put a couple of my ideas on ym own page and see if people could help instead of keep writting them on loads.
any help would be much appreciated..

1. i am about to spray the rear lights on my mk1 black punto and want to know how dark shall i go.i mean i dont want to go to dark and it look stupid but i also dont want it to be illegal... but i want it to look good as it just looks so boring and fancy being different.

2. the '60' badge on the side by the repeaters... can they be removed with out pin holes.

3. can i take out the back badges without breaking the pins so i can paint them and put them back on i have glue thats no problem, just want to know if i can remove them easily.

4. painting my standard mirrors and boot handle.. how much do i sand them down by and do i need anything to prepare them for painting and is it easy to paint them as i hate them alot at the mo.

5.universal exhaust... can i put it on my car if i cut a hole for it to go in my bumper and do i need anything else to join the old part of the exhaust to the new part. its only the back box so i dont want it to be a hard job you know what i mean.

any help on these would be great as i am a up and coming modifier and want the expertise help and knowledge to do the job right, as i was told on here by someone..(dont know who) if a job is worth doing then it is worth doing right.... very true.

cheers lewis :)

Last edited:
Re: everybody read this....

1. Not an easy way to answer this...normally as long as you can tell what colour the light is you are okies...but it can vary from copper to copper.

2. Yes...they are just stuck on.

3. The 'pins' are more sorta guide pegs that are used to locate the badges so they are straight...mine didn't really hold the badges in place....the glue does that bit. Another option would be to buy new badges, paint them then swap them for your current ones.

4. I dunno.

5. In theory yes. I'd be tempted to cut the bumper to allow room for abit of vibration...otherwise you run the risk of cracking the bumper or ****ting the exhaust. As for joining it...depending on the aftermarket box...some come with pipes that can be easily clamped onto existing pipework and gun-gummed round. The best way however I feel would be to weld the backbox onto the rest of the system...that way you are a tad less likely to have the joint start blowing.
However IMO universal exhausts aren't worth the effort to fit them when model spefific exhausts can be easily obtained for only a little more cash.

yeah i am going to cut the bumper only a little bit and i cant afford one for the punto as i only have a weekend job. as for the rear badges, i want to keep them coz i think with out them the boot looks bare. what colour should i paint them, black to match the car or silver or red?

ebay. its where i got mine.

theres a guide on how to colour code the mirrors etc somewhere, im gonna do the same thing soon and i bought the paint yesterday. you need fine sandpaper, primer, paint and lacquer. i paid 20 odd £ for it all in aerosol form from motor factors, just for reference.

Back