Technical Suspension Top Mount Bearing

Currently reading:
Technical Suspension Top Mount Bearing

Rich

Former FIAT Obsessive
Steering "Rubbing Noise"

Hi Guys

I've noticed a noise coming from my passenger front wheel. It is noticable when you are stationary and turn the wheels.

Anyone got any ideas or is it best to take it to Grays at Warwick and let them deal with it? (Doubt it'll be free, although I am in the 3rd year warranty still)

Last edited:
Re: Steering "Rubbing Noise"

Right, after taking the bumper, wheel and arch liner off, I have seen that it's the strut. As you move the steering, and the strut moves inside the spring, it's making a noise like plastic catching; does it on quick steering, seems ok when you steer slowly.

Any ideas?

If the strut is rotating inside the spring then the top mounting is semi siezed.
Normally you can confirm this by placing your hand on the spring and getting someone to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock slowly. If the mounting is faulty then you will feel a vibration on the spring as the top mount tightens and releases. You may even see the spring wind up and down as the steering wheel is rotated.

Thanks NumanR, and if it is semi-seized or faulty is it replacement or can I just lube it?

Great. Thanks

Funnily enough, there's a top mount on ebay, and its the one for my car!

Last edited:
Back