General Latest Con or Proven Tech?

Currently reading:
General Latest Con or Proven Tech?

Can this be moved out of the Bravo section please. Why should we be tarnished with this? :rolleyes:

"Increased Downforce, Increased Top Speed"

Good grief!

:shakehead :shakehead :nutter: :nutter: :bang: :bang:

What next, aerodynamic aids for Ostriches :rolleyes:

"Increased Downforce, Increased Top Speed"

Good grief!

Increased downforce if my understanding of airflow gained from Formula 1 would mean a reduced top speed but a high cornering speed as it would result in an increased grip level, however unless you corner like a F1 driver at their speeds I very much doubt it will make any differance at all apart from slow your car down due to an increase in extra un-needed weight. But I do stand to be corrected, but down force will push your car in to the road and thus increase friction and improve cornering speed, not improve over all top speed.

This is indeed on an Evo so therefore must work, (on an Evo)
If it did provide downforce then it would not be very beneficial to a front wheel drive car :rolleyes:

I would imagine that it has been specifically designed in a wind tunnel to aid the Mitsu in question. Therefore useless to the highest degree on any other motor.

This is indeed on an Evo so therefore must work, (on an Evo)

There are many thing on cars that are purely there for looks alone, many cars on our roads do not need spoilers increasing down force as the speed reached by many are not high enough to need additional down force but we the buying public like them as they look good. so just because a certain car has something on it does not mean it works in a real world environment, however the evo is a rally car where the top speed are not as important as the cornering speeds on a rally stage. therefore I go back to pointing out that it would improve cornering speed by increasing downforce but lower over all top end straight line speed as it increases friction.

There are many thing on cars that are purely there for looks alone, many cars on our roads do not need spoilers increasing down force as the speed reached by many are not high enough to need additional down force but we the buying public like them as they look good. so just because a certain car has something on it does not mean it works in a real world environment, however the evo is a rally car where the top speed are not as important as the cornering speeds on a rally stage. therefore I go back to pointing out that it would improve cornering speed by increasing downforce but lower over all top end straight line speed as it increases friction.

Agree with you there (y)

I think regarding spoilers, and how effective they can be if properly designed, and the need for down force into corners is shown by the 1st Audi TT

When Audi first released it, the car had dangerous handling charecteristics where the rear would lift in high speed cornering and spin the car. Audi recalled the cars and did 2 things, 1 they fitted uprated rear suspension and 2 they fitted a tiny boot lip spoiler.

i always thought they were used on aircraft to improve control by making sure steady air flow passes over the rear wing (direct more air to rear wing by changing path of some air flow)

i dont see how that would effect downforce or drag on a car. the extra air resistance you get from 10 tiny stick on bits of plastic will not be noticable.
the speeds are to low to make any difference, and even if they did a car does not use a rear wing for control, we have wheels on the floor, so changing the path of air wont help anything.

i always thought they were used on aircraft to improve control by making sure steady air flow passes over the rear wing (direct more air to rear wing by changing path of some air flow)

i dont see how that would effect downforce or drag on a car. the extra air resistance you get from 10 tiny stick on bits of plastic will not be noticable.
the speeds are to low to make any difference, and even if they did a car does not use a rear wing for control, we have wheels on the floor, so changing the path of air wont help anything.

At the speeds the FQ400 gets to I would imagine they are very effective.

The design is called a sharks tooth rear vortex generator its purpose is to increase high speed stability. I imagine it works in the same way as an airplane tail when its in the fixed position. steering the car straight. At these 100mph plus speeds drag is everything.

Ahaaa! Finally a solution for raindrops on my rear window!
icon_rotfl.gif

And seriously - it is specifically designed for sedans, to improve airflow around the trunk, just as the whitepaper from mitsu says. It is supposed to be 20 by 40 mm, located 10 cm away from the edge and placed at specific angles.

Not of much use for normal roads, except for a clean window, I guess.

Back