Motorists warned over remote locking devices

Currently reading:
Motorists warned over remote locking devices

Ant1974

Established member
KENT Police are warning the public to be vigilant when using remote key fobs to lock their vehicles following a recent spate of thefts.

Car parks are a target for the thieves, who wait for motorists to leave their vehicles and use devices such as remote doorbell systems to block the signal from their key fobs, before stealing the vehicle or valuables left inside.

Although vehicle immobilisers automatically engage, usually after a few seconds, until this time the vehicles remain insecure and vulnerable to thieves.

Det Insp Paul Cordier said: "An increase in radio transmitting devices means that signals from one device may counteract signals from another.

"This can result in remote locking signals for cars not operating, leaving cars insecure and vulnerable to car thieves.

“Whilst most modern cars use flashing headlights or indicators to show that the vehicle is secure, many motorists simply point and press their remote and walk away without physically checking.

“We strongly recommend that drivers try their door handles to check their car is locked before leaving it."

many motorists simply point and press their remote and walk away without physically checking.

i've no sympathy for people that daft. i watch my indicators and listen for the beep. its not exactly difficult.

hell, i even hold my key in my hand until i'm far away in case the button gets pressed in my pocket.

i've no sympathy for people that daft. i watch my indicators and listen for the beep. its not exactly difficult.

hell, i even hold my key in my hand until i'm far away in case the button gets pressed in my pocket.

Yep, mee too.

I'm amazed the general stupidity of the public always seems to get into national newspapers and news bullitins, its freaking common sense people, lock your car or else it gets nicked/contents nicked.
freaking surrounded by idiots, or at least I would be if I lived in kent;)

What's the point in using a keyfob anyway? I think i'll just stick with using a good old fashioned key to lock me car, that way i'm sure it's locked.

KENT Police are warning the public to be vigilant when using remote key fobs to lock their vehicles following a recent spate of thefts.

Car parks are a target for the thieves, who wait for motorists to leave their vehicles and use devices such as remote doorbell systems to block the signal from their key fobs, before stealing the vehicle or valuables left inside.

Although vehicle immobilisers automatically engage, usually after a few seconds, until this time the vehicles remain insecure and vulnerable to thieves.

Det Insp Paul Cordier said: "An increase in radio transmitting devices means that signals from one device may counteract signals from another.

"This can result in remote locking signals for cars not operating, leaving cars insecure and vulnerable to car thieves.

thats kinda clever!!

Back