Technical Seicento SX 2001 won't start

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento SX 2001 won't start

dimension3

I purchased a Fiat Seicento SX 2001. The car has 120 miles on the clock and has never been used.

It came with no manuals. It was running fine when I got it and was able to take it out on a few occasions, but the inside light was left on and the battery went flat, I charged the battery, now it seams to be immobilized and I cannot start it. The engine turns, but it doesn’t start. He has ¾ full tank of fresh petrol. The oil level is correct and the system is full with coolant. I can hear the fuel pump.

Is there anything I can do to get it working, I have the blue key, with the transponder symbol with the number 2 on the metal of the key, so it must be a 2nd generation immobilizer, i.e. doesn’t require a red key. Can you help me with the following?

How can I get the car to start again?

Where can I get manuals?

What services does the car require? With only 120 miles on it, I am sure it has never been serviced.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

I just ran out and checked, the key light is not comming on... does this mean my blue key is damaged... but it looks ok, It has only been in my pocket. Is there anything that can damage the key. Its a second gen so there is no red key.

sounds like you may have a prob with the immob' circuit as i would have guessed even with a duff key the light would still come on,just not go off.i dont know the newer system so hopefully one of the guys will be on soon to help.1st thing i would check is all the connections to the ECU etc as the cars obviously been sitting for a while

The Fiat Cinquecento
Fun While It Runs

have you charged up the battery to full capacity? sometimes if ur tryin to jump it off another battery they won't start, not sure why. U sure the battery isn't faulty? if they discharge all the way, sometimes they won't charge back up properly. My first port of call would be to get someone with a similarly sized battery and 'borrow' it

sig1.jpg

try reseting the fuel cut off which will now be active.

look under the dash in the centre and there is a grey box, put your hand up inside the box and press the button in there. it is very awkward to do but it will start afterwards i guarentee it!!!

i love novas but its time for a change

Thanks everyone for your sugestions. So far no joy. I spoke to fiat, they suggested to check all fuses which I have done. But still the key symbol is not lighting up and the car won't start. Is anyone familiar with the immobilizer on the 2001 Seicento SX? Is there anyway to bypass it? What would cause the key symbol light not to come on when the key is turned?

have you checked the fuses behind the battery and the wiper motor?

if all else fails ask fiat for a wiring diagram for the immobiliser and they should give it to you if you have a couple of items of ID

i love novas but its time for a change

Quick note on this problem. I took it to a fiat Garage, after a few hundred euro and a couple of weeks, the problem was a cigerette sized mobilizer box under the steering column, it had blown and had to be replace. Once that was done, all was well.

Hi I have a similar problem, on the exact same car. My code light comes on, but goes out though. I don't want to take it to a garage ...I can't even move it , these things are a pain. Have you any advice on how I could check any points on mine ....I 've checked the fuses and reseted the ECU and the connector on the immobilizer ...and charged the battery, checke the coils and pulled the two end spark plugs out and confirmed there is no spark...checked the engine earth. These black boxes are a pain....I think I'll have to go to fiat after all!:bang:

Aidme,

The immobiliser light appears to be acting normally but are the battery connections clean and tight since it's been charged.

Also have you tried resetting the fuel cut off as per post #7? Am I right in thinking that if there's no fuel the ecu won't allow it to spark either?

Last edited:
Back