Technical which coil to get

Currently reading:
Technical which coil to get

garsenior

Hi ppl

had a engine fault today for the first time, after doing a search on here tried the coil test of takng one out at a time and it worked number two is dead, just wanted any advice as where to buy one from and what make to get, also can i drive it, until the new one gets to me thanks.

will do thanks again, well anoyed it has gone on a bank holiday no where open until tuesday, so without a car until then, cant drive it like that the beeping driving me mental:bang:

Is a bank holiday this monday, so the dealer is closed until tuesday went around 12 mid day on saturday when they have just closed, and they aint ope on a sunday either:bang: anyone know somewhere in west yorkshire that will be open tomorrow that might do the coil im in the huddersfield area.

It's the 11th commandment. Never go anywhere without a spare coil or two in your boot.
Scrapyard may have one but otherwise it's Fiat or Fiat specific suppliers only. Check your spark plug gaps otherwise the others will go in quick succession too

Is a bank holiday this monday, so the dealer is closed until tuesday went around 12 mid day on saturday when they have just closed, and they aint ope on a sunday either:bang: anyone know somewhere in west yorkshire that will be open tomorrow that might do the coil im in the huddersfield area.

No holidays/rest for the wicked amoung us..........................:devil: :devil:

Thanks everyone for your help, will have to save my pocket money for a few spares, just hope they dont all start going now.

Hi ppl thanks again for helping me to sort it out just one more question is it normal that you have to get the computer re-set after you replace the coil,

cause when i replaced it today turned the engine on and it sounded and drove fantastic again, but the engine fault was beeping all the time, went to my local garage and he re-set it for £35, problem solved.

aint come on since, do you have to do that with every single coil when it goes, if you do guna buy 3 more now before they do lol

but the engine fault was beeping all the time, went to my local garage and he re-set it for £35, problem solved.

aint come on since, do you have to do that with every single coil when it goes

No. After 3 or 4 clean starts it gets bored with saying the same thing and it stops on its own

All four coils have gone on mine, at various mileages. The last just the other week, when we were going to go away for the weekend and my other car was not available. Just shows how poor they actually are, it seems everyones coils go at some time very prematurely, on the older models. What happened in the validation of these parts?? Someone at Fiat dropped a huge ******* when they signed the originals off.

Really annoys people when this happens, as I know the only place to sell them is closed and only opens during the day, when (you guessed it) I'm at work nowhere near to them.

The fault will clear every time after 3-4 starts, so looks like you wasted £35 this time. Anyway, now you know what to look for and how quick and easy it is to identify and then change a coil you will be twice as quick next time, and not pay the £35 again.

Last edited:
:bang: that just wants to make me wanna swear now, o well you live and learn, I know for the 3 other times lol thanks anyway guys

That's an awful waste of money if that's all they did. But maybe your local garage didn't know any better. :confused: Maybe there's a moral there somewhere

Biggest lesson then is to look through the forum and ask questions first. Do that before you open your wallet and say "Go ahead, help yourself to anything you want" :)

Check your plug gaps next. The harder your coil has to work the more it will tend to break down internally. Electricity is lazy and finds the easiest route- "A bit too much of a jump that way- think I'll go this way instead"
BAM another £40

Last edited:
Continuing the thread with a brand question. Fiat over here will sell me a Sagem coil for 1100 NOK (which equals £92 GBP). This is unarmed robbery if you ask me. An independent dealer will sell me a Beru coil (www.beru.com) for 650 NOK (£54 GBP) which ofcourse is better. This is including 25% Norwegian VAT exclusive shipping, as I can pick it up myself.

But has anyone any experience with the Beru coils? According to the garage/dealer (major dealer) these are original components to BMW, Audi and VW. Shop4parts.com will not send to Norway, so I'm kind of stuck with Sagem vs. Beru.:confused:

Morten.

Last edited:
Continuing the thread with a brand question. Fiat over here will sell me a Sagem coil for 1100 NOK (which equals £92 GBP). This is unarmed robbery if you ask me. An independent dealer will sell me a Beru coil (www.beru.com) for 650 NOK (£54 GBP) which ofcourse is better. This is including 25% Norwegian VAT exclusive shipping, as I can pick it up myself.

But has anyone any experience with the Beru coils? According to the garage/dealer (major dealer) these are original components to BMW, Audi and VW. Shop4parts.com will not send to Norway, so I'm kind of stuck with Sagem vs. Beru.:confused:

Morten.

Hey Morty me old mate dont have to buy one I have just posted one over to you (y) and have the customs sticker on board as well :rolleyes: consider it as a gift from me ..sorry about dragging my heels on the induction Les is over there in September hows that ;)

Back