Technical poor mpg on fiat punto 1.2 8v,please help!

Currently reading:
Technical poor mpg on fiat punto 1.2 8v,please help!

Hello everybody!

About 2 months ago I bought a third hand fiat punto 1.2 8v,with aproximately 100.000kms on the clock.And since then,I have been registering a very high fuel comsumption,really poor mpg!I have changed the air filter,plugs,spark plugs and even took it to a diagnostic machine to check for faulty sensors,but the ECU is found to be in great shape,no faulty sensors whatsoever.The mechanic tould me that it was burning all the fuel properly,there were no CO2 problems with the exaust meaning that there´s really nothing wrong with O2 sensors.I also changed the clucth 2 days ago,but all in all,mpg remains the same.I drive like a very old granny,no town driving,just 80 kph on freeway,and going very easy on the throttle.tyre pressure is ok,but 175/70 are fitted,instead of the 155/60,can this be causing all the problmes?
I´m registering an average of about 9litres per 100 kms,not normal.
And the car seems to be pulling fine,no trouble at all.:bang:
A friend told me I could have a ruptured exhaust,or fuel line,but theres no smell not even noise.
Please excuse my english,I´m from portugal!
hope someone can help me.
many thanks!

p.s.:altough having this problem(and some others),I just love my punto:)

id recomend fitting a new thermostat.

i have the 1.8 punto hgt, and mine had real poor fuel economy, fitted a new thermostat yesterday, and its gone from doin 22mpg, to 28mpg, what a difference from a £20 thermostat.

very easy to install, on your engine its on the righ hand side of the cylinder head...

try shopforparts.co.uk for a good price on one.

you should be able to tell if your thermostat is a bit dodgy, it may take a while to get to half on the gauge, not stay at half, etc.

chers and hope it works for ya!

Hello everybody!

About 2 months ago I bought a third hand fiat punto 1.2 8v,with aproximately 100.000kms on the clock.And since then,I have been registering a very high fuel comsumption,really poor mpg!I have changed the air filter,plugs,spark plugs and even took it to a diagnostic machine to check for faulty sensors,but the ECU is found to be in great shape,no faulty sensors whatsoever.The mechanic tould me that it was burning all the fuel properly,there were no CO2 problems with the exaust meaning that there´s really nothing wrong with O2 sensors.I also changed the clucth 2 days ago,but all in all,mpg remains the same.I drive like a very old granny,no town driving,just 80 kph on freeway,and going very easy on the throttle.tyre pressure is ok,but 175/70 are fitted,instead of the 155/60,can this be causing all the problmes?
I´m registering an average of about 9litres per 100 kms,not normal.
And the car seems to be pulling fine,no trouble at all.:bang:
A friend told me I could have a ruptured exhaust,or fuel line,but theres no smell not even noise.
Please excuse my english,I´m from portugal!
hope someone can help me.
many thanks!

p.s.:altough having this problem(and some others),I just love my punto:)

Hola Sergio,

I have suffered a similar problem and I went almost crazy trying to identify what in hell was wrong (I have a Fiat Punto 75S 1995, 105000km). In my case the injectors warning light would turn on after some driving (no always though) so I was sure it was some fuel injection related issue. The car was also lacking power, it could not make it any faster than 140km/h.

One day I finally got the problems solved by doing these 3 things in that order:
1. I tested the compression which resulted to be really low, especially on two of the cylinders. I sorted this out by cleaning the pistons.
2. I change the ht leads.
3. I reset the ECU

Now the car can reach about 160km/h (it takes its time though) and uses the same amount of fuel described on its technical specifications (which by the way its still quite high for such an small car/engine).

I hope this helps.

Saludos desde España :)

/N

As said above, replace your thermostat also i would change my lambda sensor and fuel filter, have you gave it an oil and oil filter change lately? Then after all of those have been done reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery over night, this should help the fuel consumption.

Hello again!

I would like to thank all of you who managed to find some time to reply to this!I´m soon going to spend some more time trying to find the cause to all this,but still,my punto must be needing an oil change.I didn´t knew that it would cause mpg issues,so,that will be on the top of my priority list to do on the damn car!(I just love it still...)
About the thermostat,I went to a parts store and looked at a thermostat,but I really can´t figure out how it can cause any mpg issues as it has no sensors envolved whatsoever,it´s basically a mechanical part.About the pistons,I´ll give it a try,but that doesn´t seem to be the problem ´cause I´ve manached to reach 170 km per hour for several miles!It pulls away nice as well,altough it seems that in low gears,it seems a bit sluggish...the fuel filter has been changed at aprox. 60.000kms,don´t know if it´s necessary to replace that...
Once again,thank you all for your kindness!:D

(i´m just glad I have a cute little smart roadster when there´s not that much money to spend on gas:slayer: )

;)

have you chaned the HT leads, my 1.2 8v was really sluggish at low revs, i found it had 2 split HT leads, changed the leads and the plugs, an it goes better than it ever has.

I assume that your brakes are not binding! Check to see if they are hot.

id recomend fitting a new thermostat.

i have the 1.8 punto hgt, and mine had real poor fuel economy, fitted a new thermostat yesterday, and its gone from doin 22mpg, to 28mpg, what a difference from a £20 thermostat.

very easy to install, on your engine its on the righ hand side of the cylinder head...

try shopforparts.co.uk for a good price on one.

you should be able to tell if your thermostat is a bit dodgy, it may take a while to get to half on the gauge, not stay at half, etc.

chers and hope it works for ya!
Thank for the info as my punto's temp is never at half and always lower.so i will replace temp gauge.makes sense as when i got the car the temp was normally in the middle,:slayer: thanks!

Replace thermostat, not temp guage. Id the thermostat is jammed open, or missing, the engine will run cold. The ECU will compensate by running rich -- effectivelt like driving with the choke on, all the time.

Binding brakes will make a terrific difference to fuel consumption.
sorry my bad i meant thermostat,yes i agree jammed open i think coz car takes age's to warm up.running at 38mpg (y)

So im going to replace it.

I have punto multijet 1.3, and its average is very low( 12 km/l). Egr and injector cleaned, but problem is still please suggest what to do,
Odo meter reading is , 61200

Back