General Boot key doesn't work - Glass Security Code Question

Currently reading:
General Boot key doesn't work - Glass Security Code Question

NeilB

Hi.

Ever since I've had my Punto the key hasn't worked in the boot. It's never been a problem as I've just used the lever inside the car.

However paranoia has got the better of me as the car never came with any service history and was bought from a small trader who said he got it from a Reg Vardy auction. I've actually managed to track down the previous owner to me and said the car was traded in a Reg Vardy. So that part checks out. However they said the lock did work and it had never been in an accident.

The code etched on the glass matches on all four of the windows on either side of the car, however the code on the boot window is different. Does this mean it is a different boot or are all boot codes different?

I suppose the lock could just be jammed, but I've tried penetrating fluid and it still doesn't work and the key goes in easily so I'm just curious now....

Cheers

Could it not be that someone has just swapped the tailgate?

This could even be done from paint damage...cheaper to change tailgate than window (if smashed) or for respray...

Does the paint match well?
Do all the bolts holding it on sit right, with no paint missing around them...as if it has been removed and replaced?

Although might just be the window was smashed and the lock dropped and jammed..could be a number of reasons tbh

But if it comes up clear i wouldnt worry too much...take the lock out and smooth it :)

I used to have a polo with a similar problem i used to have to put the key in and give it a good wiggle. If its dropped slightly ull have to do it quite hard, failing that the good old fashiond get pi**ed off and bang it could work thats how i found out mine wasnt completly nackered.

They might not even be connected. When I bought my punto the boot key didn't turn. To fix it get a straw, slide it into the lock and spray WD40 down it, then put the key in and out a bit and keep turning it. They seize up really easy.

The different codes on the glass may have been simply a replacement. Maybe the window got a stone chip or somw chav bricked it, that wouldn't necessarily count as "being in an accident"

My boot lock does this now and then...usually a good dose of WD40 and key wiggling makes it work for a few more weeks.

It works! Mucho WD40 and key fiddling later and it's fixed.

Magic. I can put thoughts of two Puntos welded together out of my mind :)

Back