Technical Setting Timing

Currently reading:
Technical Setting Timing

mrbell

Hello guys,

I have a friend who is in need of some help setting his timing on his 79 X1/9. I have done timing a few times, but only on a 350 chevy...

Anyone have any advice or tips on how to do this?

Thanks allot,
Chris

There are timing marks on both the cam wheel and the crank wheel. you will have to look closeyley because the marks are like small dots on the inside of the cam wheel. best to remark them ith tip ex so they stand out. these timing marks are tdc. its best to go on ebay and buy a haynes work shop manuel because it explains it full in there.

There are timing marks on both the cam wheel and the crank wheel. you will have to look closeyley because the marks are like small dots on the inside of the cam wheel. best to remark them ith tip ex so they stand out. these timing marks are tdc. its best to go on ebay and buy a haynes work shop manuel because it explains it full in there.

Ok, I guess this guy has one, so it is all in detail inside the book? Do I need a timing light or anything like that? I mean, I have never even seen this car, so sorry if this is a dumb question....

It all depends on what you want to set the timing on. if you are putting the cam bet back on then you need to set the timing on the cams as i just said. but if the belts still on and changing the timing you need a timing light to make the job easyier. if not then the best thing to do is while the engine is ideling slightly move the dizzy and you will hear a change in note etc. best is to move the dizzy slightly and take it ot for a drive and see what improvements are made then go back and trial and error realy.

Back