Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
View Poll Results: Do I keep it or not?
Keep it! 5 33.33%
Move on! 10 66.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011   #1
Doesn't own a fiat..
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: York
Posts: 4,104
Thanks: 37
Trader Rating: 0
JustAndy has donated!
Firewall Champion
United Kingdom 
Do I keep my car or move on?

What do you think?
My 2002 fiat punto sporting with 64k
Bad things
Paintwork isn't the best
Sometimes wont start on very cold days
only gets max 39mpg (on the trip, never actually calculated it)
Has developed a strange knocking noise when revved slightly in neutral
The engine is very tappy
Quite a lot of the interior trim is starting to break
It costs a lot to insure to say its only a 1.2
Alloy wheels need a refurb
Has been crashed in the past and the bumper, bonnet and drivers side wing have all been replaced, possibly the door too
the passenger side lock doesn't work where someone has tried to break in in the past
Needs a good service including the brake fluid,oil coolant etc
The front fogs dont work
Need both new headlights because they are both very scratched inside and out

Im in 2 minds if i should keep it or get something that i dont have to worry about starting when its icy/snowy and thats a bit quicker too
Cant think of any more points but if i do ill add them on
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by Eklipze3k View Post
Masturbate before going for a drive, then your balls will be slightly smaller and might not get crushed so badly
JustAndy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-12-2011   #2
- Amateur Detailer -
 
Rawb's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: March, Cambridgeshire.
Posts: 1,558
Thanks: 52
Trader Rating: 0
Rawb has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

Quote Originally Posted by JustAndy View Post
What do you think?
My 2002 fiat punto sporting with 64k
Bad things
Paintwork isn't the best
Sometimes wont start on very cold days
only gets max 39mpg (on the trip, never actually calculated it)
Has developed a strange knocking noise when revved slightly in neutral
The engine is very tappy
Quite a lot of the interior trim is starting to break
It costs a lot to insure to say its only a 1.2
Alloy wheels need a refurb
Has been crashed in the past and the bumper, bonnet and drivers side wing have all been replaced, possibly the door too
the passenger side lock doesn't work where someone has tried to break in in the past
Needs a good service including the brake fluid,oil coolant etc
The front fogs dont work
Need both new headlights because they are both very scratched inside and out

Im in 2 minds if i should keep it or get something that i dont have to worry about starting when its icy/snowy and thats a bit quicker too
Cant think of any more points but if i do ill add them on
You will miss it if you get rid of it, fact. No other car will make you happy in the same strange way that the little italian cars do.. just weigh out the pros and cons. I know you want a faster car but 39mpg is pretty damn good, I know you were looking at gti 206's but you ever considered a Clio sport, great engines and can put 40mpg away when driven (not sure what insurance is like for you). Plenty of alternatives out there, just avoid German if you want to try and keep some joy in driving alive.

If you think it's time to move on, move on. Everyone has to at some point most of the people on FF don't even drive Fiats anymore, so it's not all that bad.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Rawb is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-12-2011   #3
Doesn't own a fiat..
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: York
Posts: 4,104
Thanks: 37
Trader Rating: 0
JustAndy has donated!
Firewall Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

Quote Originally Posted by Rawb View Post
You will miss it if you get rid of it, fact. No other car will make you happy in the same strange way that the little italian cars do.. just weigh out the pros and cons. I know you want a faster car but 39mpg is pretty damn good, I know you were looking at gti 206's but you ever considered a Clio sport, great engines and can put 40mpg away when driven (not sure what insurance is like for you). Plenty of alternatives out there, just avoid German if you want to try and keep some joy in driving alive.

If you think it's time to move on, move on. Everyone has to at some point most of the people on FF don't even drive Fiats anymore, so it's not all that bad.
Yeah ive thought about clio sports but the insurance is crazy for one of them!
I just dont want this strange knocking noise in the engine to get any worse then me end up with a car thats going to cost a lot to fix and i cant sell instead of getting rid now and then having another car.
I cant get another car now yet anyway because i was going to get the 206 by borrowing money and paying it back when i move house but thats been set back now so ill keep my car for a while longer, maybe even till april when my insurance is due and then i can do it all at once then
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by Eklipze3k View Post
Masturbate before going for a drive, then your balls will be slightly smaller and might not get crushed so badly
JustAndy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-12-2011   #4
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kilberry, Meath
Posts: 3,194
Thanks: 105
Trader Rating: 0
m20b25 has donated!
Ireland 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

Well said about the Italian bug, the fester is missing the character of the van...

However I'll just put some pictures up...






I'm regretting not using mine for the winter!
Likes JustAndy liked this post
__________________
The ultimate driving machine, the real M20B25
"Ride me sideways"
VAN-dalised Bravo
Small, fuel economic, environmentally friendly Alfa
I am this gombeen
m20b25 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-12-2011   #5
Doesn't own a fiat..
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: York
Posts: 4,104
Thanks: 37
Trader Rating: 0
JustAndy has donated!
Firewall Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

Quote Originally Posted by m20b25 View Post
Well said about the Italian bug, the fester is missing the character of the van...

However I'll just put some pictures up...






I'm regretting not using mine for the winter!
Im thinking if was to move on it would have to be a polo, they look awesome slammed with wide wheels as you have just proved but theres no decent examples near me at all yet, so when i find one then i will think properly
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by Eklipze3k View Post
Masturbate before going for a drive, then your balls will be slightly smaller and might not get crushed so badly
JustAndy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-12-2011   #6
Moderator
 
ChrisUK's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,684
Thanks: 369
Trader Rating: 1
ChrisUK has donated!
Bartender Champion, Wood Firing Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

I'm sorry but the euro - polo thing like the one pictured has been done to death. Tedious to see now IMO.
Likes Paolo TJet liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

ChrisUK is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-12-2011   #7
Doesn't own a fiat..
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: York
Posts: 4,104
Thanks: 37
Trader Rating: 0
JustAndy has donated!
Firewall Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisUK View Post
I'm sorry but the euro - polo thing like the one pictured has been done to death. Tedious to see now IMO.
I know its been done to death but tbh i dont like any other style of modified car tbh, anything with massive bodykits is a massive no no for me so smooth and low is the way to go
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by Eklipze3k View Post
Masturbate before going for a drive, then your balls will be slightly smaller and might not get crushed so badly
JustAndy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-12-2011   #8
Moderator
 
ChrisUK's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,684
Thanks: 369
Trader Rating: 1
ChrisUK has donated!
Bartender Champion, Wood Firing Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

*cough*mk2b Punto Sporting 1.4 16v*cough*

Check members motors
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

ChrisUK is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-12-2011   #9
is annoying.
 
BlueDan's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Staffordshire
Posts: 1,755
Thanks: 35
Blog Entries: 1
Trader Rating: 0
BlueDan has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

How are the headlights scratched inside??

My Cinq Sporting (1108cc SPI) averages 41.5 driving to work around town, 10 miles each way, barely any traffic though. A 1.2 could probably do better than 39 but it depends on how it's being driven and how much traffic, etc.
Likes GyulaGB liked this post
__________________
29-01-2005 - 21-07-2012 1998 Imola Blue Cinquecento Sporting
09-06-2012 2008 Crossover Black Panda 100HP
BlueDan is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-12-2011   #10
Doesn't own a fiat..
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: York
Posts: 4,104
Thanks: 37
Trader Rating: 0
JustAndy has donated!
Firewall Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDan View Post
How are the headlights scratched inside??

My Cinq Sporting (1108cc SPI) averages 41.5 driving to work around town, 10 miles each way, barely any traffic though. A 1.2 could probably do better than 39 but it depends on how it's being driven and how much traffic, etc.
I have no idea, it wasnt too bad when i bought it but they have gradually got worse but it probably wont help that it has no covers on the back of the lights.
Thought of another 2 things that are bad with it, when i start it up and just sit it starts to smell of fumes inside which isnt a good thing! And also theres a little light that keeps flashing up (i think its the passenger airbag light?) It looks like a person sat down with a big ball infront of their head? anyway that keeps flashing up on my dash and annoying me but it never stays on.
Even if i drive as economically as i can, not revving past 2.5 and not braking hard or accelerating fast it still wont get a good MPG. Im taking it to castleford from york next sat so will see what it can do on the motorways
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by Eklipze3k View Post
Masturbate before going for a drive, then your balls will be slightly smaller and might not get crushed so badly
JustAndy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-12-2011   #11
is annoying.
 
BlueDan's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Staffordshire
Posts: 1,755
Thanks: 35
Blog Entries: 1
Trader Rating: 0
BlueDan has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

My Mum's new Panda does that (I mean new, not just new shape - so a bit early to be faulty, though, Fiat ), turn the ignition on and as part of the tests the passenger airbag light flashes. It doesn't happen when driving, though.

Yeah, leaving the covers off the back probably did it.

Persistent/reoccurring (whiff of) fumes inside is never good, and potentially leathal.

Crap economy, strong smell of fumes, running rich maybe?
__________________
29-01-2005 - 21-07-2012 1998 Imola Blue Cinquecento Sporting
09-06-2012 2008 Crossover Black Panda 100HP
BlueDan is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-12-2011   #12
Doesn't own a fiat..
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: York
Posts: 4,104
Thanks: 37
Trader Rating: 0
JustAndy has donated!
Firewall Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDan View Post
My Mum's new Panda does that (I mean new, not just new shape - so a bit early to be faulty, though, Fiat ), turn the ignition on and as part of the tests the passenger airbag light flashes. It doesn't happen when driving, though.

Yeah, leaving the covers off the back probably did it.

Persistent/reoccurring (whiff of) fumes inside is never good, and potentially leathal.

Crap economy, strong smell of fumes, running rich maybe?
Yeah the flashing light is so annoying though, i keep thinking its the EML which ive had before, oh and another thing ive just reminded myself about is that when its started from cold it doesnt drive properly, when you try and accelerate it hesitates too like a misfire suddenly then it sorts itself out and drives fine when its starting to get warm.
Yeah well i can only smell it when ive just started it and its sat, not when ive driven it and then sit say in traffic.
Im not too sure tbh, im getting really sick of this car though now but im gonna have to stick with it for a while longer then i think im gonna try and find a polo tbh, ive nearly bought one before but when i got to the persons house she had sold it half an hour before
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by Eklipze3k View Post
Masturbate before going for a drive, then your balls will be slightly smaller and might not get crushed so badly
JustAndy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-12-2011   #13
SCO
Join Date: May 2010
Location: IOW, Dumfries & Galloway
Posts: 1,693
Thanks: 67
Trader Rating: 0
Vance has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

Don't get a 206 gti, they take rattles to a whole new level! Mate had one before he got his civic and it had a new rattle everyday, and his mpg was 30-34 at best.
__________________



Vance is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-12-2011   #14
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: colchester
Posts: 117
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

I was in 2 minds what to do with my sporting, the gearbox broke saturday, with a massive hole now in it, think the dif locked and all the stress tore the box apart.

Its a previous cat c damaged car, with all the damage still there, very dented front wing, scraped door, serious amounts of missing paint laquer on the roof and bonnet, but its been so good to me in the year Ive had it, and it sailed through the last MOT back in october, but its so tatty inside and out.

For me though its italian all the way, having had alfas and older fiats, so if it wasnt this fiat it would be another, and thats whats made me decide to carry on with it, Id sell it for 200 if Im lucky then end up buying some other POS with loads of unkown troubles, least I know what does and doesnt work with this one.

It even got me to france and back last week hassle free, (although the gearbox did go within 1 day and 10 miles of being home!!) but only you can really weigh up the pros and cons of selling your car, how much would it cost to fix versus buying something else?

I must be getting old, once upon a time Id sell a car come MOT time or a breakdown, this punto must be doing something right for me but then it is car number 50 something in about 16 years

Lee
__________________
`02 hgt in sprint blue

previous italian cars inc 131,strada abarth,bravo hgt,some unos,some puntos, 1 lancia and 26 alfas!
leebex is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-12-2011   #15
is annoying.
 
BlueDan's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Staffordshire
Posts: 1,755
Thanks: 35
Blog Entries: 1
Trader Rating: 0
BlueDan has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Do I keep my car or move on?

Three cars a year, I'm surprised they haven't become sentient and have learnt to avoid you
__________________
29-01-2005 - 21-07-2012 1998 Imola Blue Cinquecento Sporting
09-06-2012 2008 Crossover Black Panda 100HP
BlueDan is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help car wont move ? Munch Tech Talk 3 10-11-2009 21:38
(T) Car Wont Move! BoBdOgOAFC Punto (Mk2/2b) 15 12-08-2009 20:04
How do i move a car without driving? bulldog5046 Leisure Lounge 59 08-03-2006 01:39
(T) car dont move fahema Punto (Mk2/2b) 7 30-01-2005 20:06
Got my licenece & now car wont move Fiat_SX Lets Talk FIAT 7 07-12-2003 23:58