Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2017   #1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Cam belt change only 11k miles

My fiat 1.2 dynamic eco has only done 11k miles but the problem is it's a 10' plate... Im just wondering if I should get the cam and water pump changed now as fiat say so? Or should the belt last until many more miles?

PS I've been quoted 260 by a local garage.

Thanks
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

mattwick92 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-01-2017   #2
Panda 100HP
 
chuff's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 91
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
chuff has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Cam belt change only 11k miles

Quote Originally Posted by mattwick92 View Post
My fiat 1.2 dynamic eco has only done 11k miles but the problem is it's a 10' plate... Im just wondering if I should get the cam and water pump changed now as fiat say so? Or should the belt last until many more miles?

PS I've been quoted 260 by a local garage.

Thanks
Rubber degrades, so the end result is pretty much the same.


I'd get it done, personally, and be glad you don't own a VW (which is half the interval and at least twice the cost)
Likes Eklipze3k, TobiasBB liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

chuff is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-01-2017   #3
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cam belt change only 11k miles

Quote Originally Posted by chuff View Post
Rubber degrades, so the end result is pretty much the same.


I'd get it done, personally, and be glad you don't own a VW (which is half the interval and at least twice the cost)
I see, altough I'm just trying not to spend out if I can help it. But it's classed as a service item so I guess if needs must.
I'll probably follow it up tomorow - fingers crossed they aren't busy as I need the car.

Thanks.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

mattwick92 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-01-2017   #4
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 192
Thanks: 11
Trader Rating: 0
Denmark 
Quote Originally Posted by mattwick92 View Post
I see, altough I'm just trying not to spend out if I can help it. But it's classed as a service item so I guess if needs must.
I'll probably follow it up tomorow - fingers crossed they aren't busy as I need the car.

Thanks.
Its an easy thing to diy on the 1,2.. that should knock two thirds of the price, just mark all positions with paint, 15mm and 10mm wrenches/sockets and some 90degree angled pliers with thin tips for tightening the pulleytighty thing, a jack stand and a floorjack, maybe a screwdriver and either 17mm socket or that piece of pipe from the trunk to take off the wheel... then its possible to do with a bit of fiddling, lots of guides around..
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

TobiasBB is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-01-2017   #5
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cam belt change only 11k miles

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasBB View Post
Its an easy thing to diy on the 1,2.. that should knock two thirds of the price, just mark all positions with paint, 15mm and 10mm wrenches/sockets and some 90degree angled pliers with thin tips for tightening the pulleytighty thing, a jack stand and a floorjack, maybe a screwdriver and either 17mm socket or that piece of pipe from the trunk to take off the wheel... then its possible to do with a bit of fiddling, lots of guides around..
Thanks but I'm not very mechanically minded and I don't have the tools.. Maybe I could ask a mate I know but I think I'll stick to the garage for now
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

mattwick92 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-01-2017   #6
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 192
Thanks: 11
Trader Rating: 0
Denmark 
Quote Originally Posted by mattwick92 View Post
Thanks but I'm not very mechanically minded and I don't have the tools.. Maybe I could ask a mate I know but I think I'll stick to the garage for now
Sure, I would just put it out there I wasnt mechanically minded either, but was way cheap so bought the cheapest tools i could find and a haynes manual to fix the belts and whatnot on my panda... then i realised the panda is not much more advanced than LEGOs, and only slightly more pricey...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

TobiasBB is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-01-2017   #7
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cam belt change only 11k miles

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasBB View Post
Sure, I would just put it out there I wasnt mechanically minded either, but was way cheap so bought the cheapest tools i could find and a haynes manual to fix the belts and whatnot on my panda... then i realised the panda is not much more advanced than LEGOs, and only slightly more pricey...
Your right about the price lol but I think if I attempted the work it would go terribly wrong.. Cheers anyway
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

mattwick92 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-01-2017   #8
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,424
Thanks: 96
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cam belt change only 11k miles

72,000 miles or 60 months which ever comes first

Or every 4 years for particularly demanding use (hot/cold climates, engine idling for long periods, dusty roads with salt or sand). is Fiats recommended intervals

https://www.fiat.co.uk/uk/Publishing...TimingBelt.pdf
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by koalar; 10-01-2017 at 21:29.
koalar is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-01-2017   #9
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 48
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
martroy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Cam belt change only 11k miles

The more important question you should ask mattwick92 is " does my 1.2 Eco engine fail safe if the cam belt lets go ? " The earlier 1.1 and 1.2's definitely fail safe so you can afford to be a bit relaxed about cam belt replacement. The engine will just stop, of course it'll leave you stranded but no engine damage.If your engine is fail safe then you could probably leave it another 10.000 miles or a couple of years before replacement.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

martroy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-01-2017   #10
Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dorset
Posts: 8,373
Thanks: 881
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cam belt change only 11k miles

Quote Originally Posted by martroy View Post
The more important question you should ask mattwick92 is " does my 1.2 Eco engine fail safe if the cam belt lets go ? " The earlier 1.1 and 1.2's definitely fail safe so you can afford to be a bit relaxed about cam belt replacement. The engine will just stop, of course it'll leave you stranded but no engine damage.If your engine is fail safe then you could probably leave it another 10.000 miles or a couple of years before replacement.
A '10 plate car should have the Euro4 engine without VVT, so I'd be more relaxed about this than with the later VVT engine. The giveaway is not having a VVT solenoid & associated wiring in the left side of the camcover.

Even if it is a failsafe design, it's slightly easier to fix it before it breaks because you can mark everything properly before removing the old belt, so it can be done without needing the full set of locking tools. IIRC these later Euro4 engines don't have timing marks and setting them up from scratch is more of a pain than it should be - garages have been known to return them a tooth out; the engine will run but it just won't perform properly and can lead to a lot of head scratching if you don't realise what's happened.

Plus changing it before it breaks avoids being stranded at the side of the road. Funny how they always seem to go in the least convienient circumstances.
Likes martroy, varesecrazy liked this post
__________________


"Just 'cos you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"


Last edited by jrkitching; 10-01-2017 at 23:35.
jrkitching is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-01-2017   #11
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 20,156
Thanks: 720
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by mattwick92 View Post
My fiat 1.2 dynamic eco has only done 11k miles but the problem is it's a 10' plate... Im just wondering if I should get the cam and water pump changed now as fiat say so? Or should the belt last until many more miles?

PS I've been quoted 260 by a local garage.

Thanks
Shop around..
The belt is 15 quid..
The KIT..Around 35

So 100 quid for 1 hours labour..!!

Its the same job as a modern ford ka..so not exactly expert..or exotic

Charlie
Likes TobiasBB liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-01-2017   #12
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: suffolk
Posts: 676
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cam belt change only 11k miles

Quote Originally Posted by varesecrazy View Post
Shop around..
The belt is 15 quid..
The KIT..Around 35

So 100 quid for 1 hours labour..!!

Its the same job as a modern ford ka..so not exactly expert..or exotic

Charlie
due to it being slightly different to the norm, garages charge silly money. i got a quote for my girlfriends 100hp from a local garage and they wanted 450 for a cambelt and pump change with me supplying the parts.
i bought genuine parts and did it myself for a fraction of the cost
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

dac69er is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-01-2017   #13
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 20,156
Thanks: 720
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by dac69er View Post
due to it being slightly different to the norm, garages charge silly money. i got a quote for my girlfriends 100hp from a local garage and they wanted 450 for a cambelt and pump change with me supplying the parts.
i bought genuine parts and did it myself for a fraction of the cost
?????

The op has 1.2
Same engine as a ka

I have done my 1.1 panda with the 35 quid kit.

Tbh..at 11k miles. Even the bearing and waterpump may last..so it needs a 15 quid belt.

Unfortunately you still need to remove the engine mount..
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-01-2017   #14
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,341
Thanks: 701
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cam belt change only 11k miles

At that mileage I would swap the belt but keep the water pump and tensioner. Use the methods used by Fuzz from Car SOS and its dead easy peasy.

**The method wont work if you are changing the water pump**

Remove all belt covers

Run the engine and slice the cam belt mid line all the way around with a Stanley knife so you end up with two narrow belts.

Remove the auxiliary belt

Slacken the timing tensioner and slip off the outer strip of old belt. Slide the new belt half way on. Make sure its seated then cut away the last bit of old belt and slide the new belt in properly.

Tension the belt and check its correctly tightened. 90 degree twist along the longest run or use a Fiat tool.

Check the timing marks are still correctly aligned ant its - Job done.

**If you need to replace the water pump this method wont work.**
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

DaveMcT is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-01-2017   #15
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cam belt change only 11k miles

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcT View Post
At that mileage I would swap the belt but keep the water pump and tensioner. Use the methods used by Fuzz from Car SOS and its dead easy peasy.

**The method wont work if you are changing the water pump**

Remove all belt covers

Run the engine and slice the cam belt mid line all the way around with a Stanley knife so you end up with two narrow belts.

Remove the auxiliary belt

Slacken the timing tensioner and slip off the outer strip of old belt. Slide the new belt half way on. Make sure its seated then cut away the last bit of old belt and slide the new belt in properly.

Tension the belt and check its correctly tightened. 90 degree twist along the longest run or use a Fiat tool.

Check the timing marks are still correctly aligned ant its - Job done.

**If you need to replace the water pump this method wont work.**
OK thanks
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

mattwick92 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) 2004 2.0jtd Died after cam belt change.But belt is ok. wanderer Ducato 15 17-07-2013 21:20
(G) Cam Belt/Timing Belt Change Just to be Safe quaffle Punto (Mk2/2b) 12 31-03-2011 16:51
Punto (Mk2/2b) Grande Punto 1.4 engine 11K miles DaveMcT Auction Watch 0 23-09-2009 16:40
(T) Croma MJet Cam Belt and Aux Belt Change? FiatFleetFamily Croma 3 03-11-2008 17:43
(T) TD SX 1.9 cam belt change-when? gervaise69 Tipo (Classic) 0 10-11-2004 15:37