Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010   #1
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 71
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
New shock absorbers

My 56 plate 1.1 active just failed on its MOT with leaking shock at front and rear. The Panda has only done 25 000, so was very surprised at this.

Can anyone recommend any good places to have these repalced at a sensible price in Glasgow /Lanarkshire area. Best quote so far has been Kwik Fit which I found surprising at just under 300 for all 4 shocks.

Thanks
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

smc4761 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-09-2010   #2
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 361
Thanks: 6
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

Best off getting these shocks http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/det...37&PID=1089005

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/det...36&PID=1088848

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/det...26&PID=1089373

Total cost is 191.90 inc delivery, then spend 100 getting them fixed at a local garage, although they are O.E they will be better than the standard crap fiat use, and will work out cheaper,
Thats a win win in my books.
__________________
robjnr is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-09-2010   #3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 272
Thanks: 5
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

Reckon they will fit the 100?
__________________
White Panda 100hp, ipod, Side airbags, Ring Stickers!
Honda S2000, polybushed
pdtrewern is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-09-2010   #4
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,716
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

Quote Originally Posted by pdtrewern View Post
Reckon they will fit the 100?
They probably would but they'll be matched to OEM Panda 1.1/1.2 springs and therefore possibly not best suited.

To the OP, go for the Bilsteins, I had some on my Fiat 131 that went to the scrapyard in 2001 which my dad fitted back in the 80's and they were still in great condition and got sold on to someone for a decent price
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-09-2010   #5
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 272
Thanks: 5
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

Euro car parts do some bilstein rear shocks for the 100 at 25 each!! Wonder if that would help the ride with the fiat units?
__________________
White Panda 100hp, ipod, Side airbags, Ring Stickers!
Honda S2000, polybushed
pdtrewern is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-09-2010   #6
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 361
Thanks: 6
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

Are the part numbers the same for the 1.1, 1.2 and 100hp?
__________________
robjnr is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-09-2010   #7
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 197
Thanks: 15
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

Anyone seen these ?

http://www.gazzellaracing.com/home.php?cat=2290

I could be tempted but, not without knowing somebody's feedback on them - particularly with the 100. Trouble with some aftermarket's is their of the same performance as standards, and what with so many variants/models of damper, it can sometimes be hard to ascertain which is an improvement over standard (having to deal with sales person's which know nothing but just want to sell).

Have a feeling that these would be good, shame you can't try before you buy eh ?
There's a significant price difference compared to Koni, but this is probably for a reason, quality & non adjustable perhaps ? Pay's y'money, y'takes y'choice.

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

randysbits is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-09-2010   #8
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,716
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

Quote Originally Posted by randysbits View Post
Anyone seen these ?

http://www.gazzellaracing.com/home.php?cat=2290

I could be tempted but, not without knowing somebody's feedback on them - particularly with the 100. Trouble with some aftermarket's is their of the same performance as standards, and what with so many variants/models of damper, it can sometimes be hard to ascertain which is an improvement over standard (having to deal with sales person's which know nothing but just want to sell).

Have a feeling that these would be good, shame you can't try before you buy eh ?
There's a significant price difference compared to Koni, but this is probably for a reason, quality & non adjustable perhaps ? Pay's y'money, y'takes y'choice.

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl
They're Bilstein, they'll be a billion times better than the crapola that comes with the Panda as standard.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-09-2010   #9
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 272
Thanks: 5
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

The part numbers do seem to be the same as the 1.2's so i guess not specifically for the 100.
__________________
White Panda 100hp, ipod, Side airbags, Ring Stickers!
Honda S2000, polybushed
pdtrewern is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-09-2010   #10
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 361
Thanks: 6
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

Quote Originally Posted by pdtrewern View Post
The part numbers do seem to be the same as the 1.2's so i guess not specifically for the 100.
Whats to say that they haven't based their dampers on the 100HP? I read some where on here that they normally base the springs/dampers on the highest models
__________________
robjnr is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-09-2010   #11
1985 AE86 Sprinter Trueno
 
trackdayqueen's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gtr Manchester
Posts: 3,767
Thanks: 71
Trader Rating: 0
trackdayqueen has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

Quote Originally Posted by robjnr View Post
Whats to say that they haven't based their dampers on the 100HP? I read some where on here that they normally base the springs/dampers on the highest models
Well the 100hp is so few in numbers compared to the 1.1/1.2 they probably haven't even considered that.

Don't believe everything you read. I'd say only buy a part if you know it's correct for your model as we well know the difference between the suspenders on a 100hp and the other models is going to be night and day really.
__________________
2008 Red Panda 100hp - Sold May 2011
trackdayqueen is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-09-2010   #12
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 361
Thanks: 6
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

Quote Originally Posted by trackdayqueen View Post

Don't believe everything you read. I'd say only buy a part if you know it's correct for your model as we well know the difference between the suspenders on a 100hp and the other models is going to be night and day really.
The only damper which i'd consider to put on my 100HP is the Koni Sport dampers, maybe they are not specifically for the 100HP but they are adjustable,
__________________
robjnr is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-09-2010   #13
1985 AE86 Sprinter Trueno
 
trackdayqueen's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gtr Manchester
Posts: 3,767
Thanks: 71
Trader Rating: 0
trackdayqueen has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

Quote Originally Posted by robjnr View Post
The only damper which i'd consider to put on my 100HP is the Koni Sport dampers, maybe they are not specifically for the 100HP but they are adjustable,
Koni's are very good, had them on some of my other cars. I guess you'd expect the Koni's to be setup for the 100hp as maybe it's just me thinking, why would you want to put Koni's on anything other than a 100hp?
__________________
2008 Red Panda 100hp - Sold May 2011
trackdayqueen is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-09-2010   #14
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 361
Thanks: 6
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

Quote Originally Posted by trackdayqueen View Post
Koni's are very good, had them on some of my other cars. I guess you'd expect the Koni's to be setup for the 100hp as maybe it's just me thinking, why would you want to put Koni's on anything other than a 100hp?
Do you think the Koni's will be a good match for the standard springs? I've never uprated shocks in the past so i don't have first hand experience, i've only ever lowered my megane 225 on 30mm eibachs.
__________________
robjnr is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-09-2010   #15
1985 AE86 Sprinter Trueno
 
trackdayqueen's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gtr Manchester
Posts: 3,767
Thanks: 71
Trader Rating: 0
trackdayqueen has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New shock absorbers

Quote Originally Posted by robjnr View Post
Do you think the Koni's will be a good match for the standard springs? I've never uprated shocks in the past so i don't have first hand experience, i've only ever lowered my megane 225 on 30mm eibachs.
Trouble is whenever I've changed dampers, I've changed the springs as well. Tbh all you can do is suck it and see. I guess in the worse case scenario at least springs are relatively cheap in comparison to dampers.

Thing is on the 100hp you really don't want to lower it as there is hardly any rear suspension travel to start with, well that seems to be the case with the length of the bump stops.

In summary providing the Koni's are standard length dampers (there is no reason to believe otherwise) then they ought to be okay with the stock springs. How they go with the stock springs is something you'll just have to take a chance on. I doubt the result would be disastrous though and at least the Koni's are less likely to be underdamped, I mean let's face it, it'd be hard to make a damper as bad as the stock ones! So I'd expect an improvement and best of all you can adjust the Koni's which really ought to help a bit.
__________________
2008 Red Panda 100hp - Sold May 2011

Last edited by trackdayqueen; 13-09-2010 at 17:00.
trackdayqueen is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Shock Absorbers T-Jet 120 Marea 23 01-10-2012 16:42
(S) Shock Absorbers? robm1987 Grande Punto 7 01-10-2009 19:18
(G) Shock Absorbers ultrageek Panda 1 23-01-2009 12:19
(G) shock absorbers klemster Bravo / Brava 5 03-01-2008 14:16
(T) Shock Absorbers SamBowcock Marea 5 14-06-2006 21:53