Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27-04-2015   #1
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 110
Thanks: 15
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Panda 2012+ 1.2 gear change noise

We've had out Panda for five weeks now, and apart from the fact the dealer still hasn't managed to get hold of a spare wheel kit (we specified and paid for one but it wasn't fitted when we collected the car), everything has been great. We both love driving our Panda, but we have both noticed a noise when changing gear at around 2800-3000 RPM+.

It's hard to describe, but it sounds like a metallic throb when the clutch is depressed, followed by a similar, slightly higher pitched noise when the clutch is released again. I've recorded a video to demonstrate what I mean. It hasn't come out brilliantly, but the sound is noticeable, particularly on the first gearchange from first to second (around the 13-14 second mark).


I just wondered whether other 1.2 Panda owners have noticed this or not? I guess my question is, is this completely normal and nothing to worry about, or should I be getting in touch with the dealer to ask them to investigate? I suspect I know how the latter option will play out!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Paul A H; 27-04-2015 at 20:12.
Paul A H is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-04-2015   #2
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bradford
Posts: 350
Thanks: 28
Trader Rating: 0
AAB1992 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Panda 2012+ 1.2 gear change noise

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A H View Post
We've had out Panda for five weeks now, and apart from the fact the dealer still hasn't managed to get hold of a spare wheel kit (we specified and paid for one but it wasn't fitted when we collected the car), everything has been great. We both love driving our Panda, but we have both noticed a noise when changing gear at around 2800-3000 RPM+.

It's hard to describe, but it sounds like a metallic throb when the clutch is depressed, followed by a similar, slightly higher pitched noise when the clutch is released again. I've recorded a video to demonstrate what I mean. It hasn't come out brilliantly, but the sound is noticeable, particularly on the first gearchange from first to second (around the 13-14 second mark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo8pzADmBSE

I just wondered whether other 1.2 Panda owners have noticed this or not? I guess my question is, is this completely normal and nothing to worry about, or should I be getting in touch with the dealer to ask them to investigate? I suspect I know how the latter option will play out!
Hello Paul, I'm glad youíve brought this up!! I've been experiencing the same problem since I bought my 2012 1.2 8v Lounge car 14 months ago!!! Iím sure Iíve posted it on the forum at some point in the past.

It has driven me insane, itís been back to the dealer so many times and they cannot find any defects.

Having carried out my own investigations, the noise comes from the pedal assembly. Having had several panda courtesy cars over the previous year, they all make the same noise and some worse than others. I concluded its nothing to worry, but quite irritating at times.

If you find the actual source of noise, please let me know!

Regards,
Adam.
Thanks Paul A H thanked for this post
Likes varesecrazy, Paul A H liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

AAB1992 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-04-2015   #3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 110
Thanks: 15
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Panda 2012+ 1.2 gear change noise

Thanks Adam, that's really helpful. It's reassuring that this might actually be a case of 'they all do that sir'! At first it sounded like something in the exhaust vibrating a little (the exhaust has a distinctive and quite loud burble at lower revs), but I think I can rule that out now.

Your comment about the pedal assembly is interesting. I have noticed a noise when releasing the brake pedal, but that seems a more obvious clunk within the cabin. I can alleviate the gear change noise by lifting off completely prior to depressing the clutch, but this doesn't feel natural to me and I guess it makes for slower acceleration.

If the ECU steps in to hold the revs when the clutch is depressed, I wonder if me not lifting off for long enough is contributing to this noise?

Paul
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Paul A H is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-04-2015   #4
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 29,044
Thanks: 1138
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Panda 2012+ 1.2 gear change noise

( not having driven a mk4)

surely if it's PURELY the clutch operation, you could replicate it sat in neutral on your drive?

a resonance being set-up at certain RPM's is obviously a potentially bigger issue..,

Charlie
Thanks Paul A H thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-04-2015   #5
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 567
Thanks: 29
Trader Rating: 0
muttleysdad has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Panda 2012+ 1.2 gear change noise

The pedal has this weird little switch on it now that raises the revs as you let the clutch out. Part of the euro six upgrade. Sometimes if you get the timing wrong with the clutch and particularly up the rev range it can kick in a rev the engine slightly.
I can remember it from when ours was new but either its' settled down or we're driving it differently (or we're just plain used to it) because I haven't heard it in a long while.
Thanks Paul A H thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

muttleysdad is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-04-2015   #6
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bradford
Posts: 350
Thanks: 28
Trader Rating: 0
AAB1992 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Panda 2012+ 1.2 gear change noise

The noise is most certainly from the pedal assembly, because when I initially took the vehicle in they thought it was the clutch itself and replaced that, but the noise still persisted. You cannot hear it at a standstill; itís only within the 2000-3000rpm range in my case. I can actually feel a creak or vibration through the pedal when the noise is present. I donít think it is something to worry about.

Interestingly on the other topic of clutch switch, the Euro 6 panda I had a courtesy car was a 2015 Easy and it was the best to drive of all the earlier ones I had been given, I could lift the clutch up with no acceleration, it would propel the car at a reasonable speed for me to then engage the throttle without no bogging down like the Euro 5 panda I actually own. It was Bliss!

The only issue I had was on a hill, where the revs would suddenly surge on the euro 6 panda for no apparent reason, even with the same throttle input. Nevertheless, it would still get up the hill very easily. Overall, the Euro 6 that I had driven was much better than the Euro 5ís Iíd driven to date.

Contrary to some of the other post in the 500 section regarding the 1.2 8v engine, I feel the euro 6 panda (the one that I had driven at least!) was slightly more flexible and definitely easier to drive, more like the 2004 Euro 4 panda that is still in the family. Thatís not to negate the fact some people are having issues with theirs, but we shouldnít get too carried away, the 1.2 8v is still a great engine, long may it continue!
Thanks Paul A H thanked for this post
Likes Paul A H, varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

AAB1992 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-04-2015   #7
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 567
Thanks: 29
Trader Rating: 0
muttleysdad has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Panda 2012+ 1.2 gear change noise

Quote Originally Posted by AAB1992 View Post

Contrary to some of the other post in the 500 section regarding the 1.2 8v engine, I feel the euro 6 panda (the one that I had driven at least!) was slightly more flexible and definitely easier to drive, more like the 2004 Euro 4 panda that is still in the family. Thatís not to negate the fact some people are having issues with theirs, but we shouldnít get too carried away, the 1.2 8v is still a great engine, long may it continue!
Agreed. And since the first service a couple of weeks ago when I think they may have applied the ECU upgrade its an absolute pocket rock now.
Likes Paul A H, varesecrazy, AAB1992 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

muttleysdad is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-04-2015   #8
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 110
Thanks: 15
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Panda 2012+ 1.2 gear change noise

Quote Originally Posted by AAB1992 View Post
The noise is most certainly from the pedal assembly, because when I initially took the vehicle in they thought it was the clutch itself and replaced that, but the noise still persisted. You cannot hear it at a standstill; itís only within the 2000-3000rpm range in my case. I can actually feel a creak or vibration through the pedal when the noise is present. I donít think it is something to worry about.

Interestingly on the other topic of clutch switch, the Euro 6 panda I had a courtesy car was a 2015 Easy and it was the best to drive of all the earlier ones I had been given, I could lift the clutch up with no acceleration, it would propel the car at a reasonable speed for me to then engage the throttle without no bogging down like the Euro 5 panda I actually own. It was Bliss!

The only issue I had was on a hill, where the revs would suddenly surge on the euro 6 panda for no apparent reason, even with the same throttle input. Nevertheless, it would still get up the hill very easily. Overall, the Euro 6 that I had driven was much better than the Euro 5ís Iíd driven to date.

Contrary to some of the other post in the 500 section regarding the 1.2 8v engine, I feel the euro 6 panda (the one that I had driven at least!) was slightly more flexible and definitely easier to drive, more like the 2004 Euro 4 panda that is still in the family. Thatís not to negate the fact some people are having issues with theirs, but we shouldnít get too carried away, the 1.2 8v is still a great engine, long may it continue!
That describes the characteristics of our 2015 1.2 Easy perfectly. Now I've got the hang of it, pulling away from standstill is pretty easy. I just let the clutch out, and when the car starts moving, I mash my foot on the loud pedal We've only done 380 miles in our car but it has made the metallic thrumming noise when changing gear at higher revs from day one. I think I'll keep and eye (ear) on it and mention it at first service unless anyone else knows the cause and/or rectification?
Likes AAB1992 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Paul A H is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-04-2015   #9
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bradford
Posts: 350
Thanks: 28
Trader Rating: 0
AAB1992 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Panda 2012+ 1.2 gear change noise

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A H View Post
We've only done 380 miles in our car but it has made the metallic thrumming noise when changing gear at higher revs from day one. I think I'll keep and eye (ear) on it and mention it at first service
Just see how you get on. Let all the parts bed-in so-to-speak , if it persists or gets worse, just mention it to the dealer. When I bought mine last year it had 22k on the clock and was terrible to drive. It had an ECU upgrade from Fiat which improved things massively. However, I feel the Euro 6 variants have finally brought back some of the engines "old" character, whist still adhering to the stringent emission regulations of today. Itís a good compromise. I've managed to put on 18k in a year, so I've got used to its quirks. I do think these engines improve with mileage.

From my experience just keep an eye out for:

Dashboard rattles (a known common fault now which can be properly rectified).

Rubbing or chaffing handbrake cables due to nature of the routing on the new panda. They rub on the rear axle and can get chewed in their hangers like mine did. No easy fix for this apart from releasing them from the hangers that come off the rear axle bracket and leaving them free to move. This solved the noise they produced (a rubbery squeaky noise) and they perfectly fine not in the hangers.

Rear shock bushes (an issue on the previous panda and 500). Mine lasted to 35K.

Front wishbones. I'm currently trying to get fiat to replace one of mine as one of the bushes has become displaced, and on the other side the rubber is cracking. It may be isolated indecent, but something future owners of newer models should be mindful of.

Eclectic, boot release mechanism (stops opening, or won't close, again a common issue on the old model of panda and fiat 500).

Paint that chips easily (mine is the sunset red metallic). Iím not too sure about other colours.

Apart from those I find the new model of panda to be as reliable as the previous model, but more refined and with better handling/ride characteristics. Enjoy many happy years pandering!

Adam.
Thanks Paul A H thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

AAB1992 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-05-2015   #10
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 110
Thanks: 15
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Panda 2012+ 1.2 gear change noise

Quote Originally Posted by varesecrazy View Post
( not having driven a mk4)

surely if it's PURELY the clutch operation, you could replicate it sat in neutral on your drive?

a resonance being set-up at certain RPM's is obviously a potentially bigger issue..,

Charlie
Now it's the weekend, I've had the chance to experiment a bit more to test this. I have revved the engine to approx 3000 rpm while in neutral and then depressed and released the clutch. The noise is definitely there. It's a little quieter but still very noticeable.
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Paul A H is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-05-2015   #11
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 2,484
Thanks: 219
Trader Rating: 0
JTD_Liam has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Panda 2012+ 1.2 gear change noise

Not sure if this'll be the cause but on many Fiat's including the 500 (and therefore I presume the new Panda), the pedals (at least the brake pedal) on right-hand drive versions have a connecting rod through to the passenger side behind the dashboard, where they link into the left-hand drive setup behind the bulkhead.

This setup of connecting rods can clunk as it moves, so it might be that that you're experiencing. I've heard the odd clunk from the pedal assembly on my Parents 500 but just put it down to the associated metalwork.

On some Fiat's, passengers with long legs have inadvertently pressed on the carpet up behind the passenger side dashboard area and actually managed to activate the brakes, as that's where the link into the brake servo is!

If it does prove to be this, whilst it's a bit weird, it does appear 'normal' for how Fiat do the right-hand drive conversion - Just another of their little quirks!
Thanks Paul A H thanked for this post
__________________
2003-2005 - 1996 Punto 75SX 5 Door -- 2004-2008 - 2000 Punto JTD HLX 5 Door -- 2008-2014 - 2004 Stilo JTD Dynamic 3 Door --
2014-2017 - 2013 Alfa MiTo -- 2017-2018 - 2016 Alfa Giulietta
2018-Current - '68' Tipo T-JET S-Design - Street Grey

JTD_Liam is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-05-2015   #12
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 110
Thanks: 15
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Panda 2012+ 1.2 gear change noise

Quote Originally Posted by JTD_Liam View Post
Not sure if this'll be the cause but on many Fiat's including the 500 (and therefore I presume the new Panda), the pedals (at least the brake pedal) on right-hand drive versions have a connecting rod through to the passenger side behind the dashboard, where they link into the left-hand drive setup behind the bulkhead.

This setup of connecting rods can clunk as it moves, so it might be that that you're experiencing. I've heard the odd clunk from the pedal assembly on my Parents 500 but just put it down to the associated metalwork.

On some Fiat's, passengers with long legs have inadvertently pressed on the carpet up behind the passenger side dashboard area and actually managed to activate the brakes, as that's where the link into the brake servo is!

If it does prove to be this, whilst it's a bit weird, it does appear 'normal' for how Fiat do the right-hand drive conversion - Just another of their little quirks!
When I release the brake pedal quickly (so it springs back up) I can hear a clunk. I thought it was coming from the passenger side and wondered if the cause was something like you have described. In the end I assumed it was my ears playing tricks on me, but now you've convinced me I'm not going mad!

I think it's a seperate issue to the gear change noise though. I took my father-in-law out for a spin yesterday and he said he couldn't hear anything. Then my wife reminded me that his hearing isn't what it used to be!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Paul A H is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-05-2015   #13
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bradford
Posts: 350
Thanks: 28
Trader Rating: 0
AAB1992 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Panda 2012+ 1.2 gear change noise

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A H View Post
When I release the brake pedal quickly (so it springs back up) I can hear a clunk. I thought it was coming from the passenger side and wondered if the cause was something like you have described. In the end I assumed it was my ears playing tricks on me, but now you've convinced me I'm not going mad!

I think it's a seperate issue to the gear change noise though. I took my father-in-law out for a spin yesterday and he said he couldn't hear anything. Then my wife reminded me that his hearing isn't what it used to be!
The brake pedal is due to the metal rod that goes the passenger side of the car then its link to the servo. The clutch pedal is connected to the master cylinder that comes straight out of the bulk head. To me itís resides with the plastic bush and spring contraption on the pedal assembly. Maybe certain RPM's cause a resonance that reverberates and causes the noise. Itís just a theory of mine.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

AAB1992 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) whistle noise from gearbox when i change gear pricey1971 Scudo 0 11-05-2013 08:13
(G) Multijet Gear Change Noise Sampod Panda 1 17-07-2007 13:34
(T) Gear change cable noise pig Multipla 0 10-05-2007 16:24