Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2017   #1
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Sweden 
Radio instalation

Hey guys. I have a question for anyone knowledgable in the field of electrics.

I bought a radio and speakers to my 1988 panda 4x4. The car has never had a radio in it before to my knowledge so I guess the original owner didn't buy that piece of kit.

But the car has wiring for it, one black cable for ground and one red/green for power. Now to the question.

The wiring harnes that came with the new radio has a yellow wire which is for constant power (so it doesn't loose it's memory with selected radiostations and such) and a red one for ignition power. But the car only has one power cord like I said.

So the question really is: should I wire both the yellow and the red wire to the one power wire in the car, or only the red?

Thanks.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Albert Alfvag is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-07-2017   #2
PANDA!!
 
Freebo's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Selby
Posts: 3,977
Thanks: 146
Trader Rating: 0
Freebo is part of the official FF Events Team :)
Freebo has donated!
Ghost Ball Champion
United Kingdom 
Radio instalation

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Alfvag View Post
Hey guys. I have a question for anyone knowledgable in the field of electrics.

I bought a radio and speakers to my 1988 panda 4x4. The car has never had a radio in it before to my knowledge so I guess the original owner didn't buy that piece of kit.

But the car has wiring for it, one black cable for ground and one red/green for power. Now to the question.

The wiring harnes that came with the new radio has a yellow wire which is for constant power (so it doesn't loose it's memory with selected radiostations and such) and a red one for ignition power. But the car only has one power cord like I said.

So the question really is: should I wire both the yellow and the red wire to the one power wire in the car, or only the red?

Thanks.
I wired mine in recently and wired in the yellow and red into the power wire, I crimpted them both into a bullet connector (I only used these as this is what the old headunit used). I have been told you can run a cable for the ignition on/off from either the back of the ignition barrel or from the rear brake lights.

Here's a pic of the old wiring.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1858.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	182032
Freebo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-07-2017   #3
...so many Panda's...
 
P1NKY's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: 'ampshire
Posts: 170
Thanks: 15
Trader Rating: 0
P1NKY has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Radio instalation

Quote Originally Posted by Freebo View Post
I wired mine in recently and wired in the yellow and red into the power wire, I crimpted them both into a bullet connector (I only used these as this is what the old headunit used). I have been told you can run a cable for the ignition on/off from either the back of the ignition barrel or from the rear brake lights.

Here's a pic of the old wiring.
Attachment 182032
I did exactly the same before fitting my DAB radio. I phoned the manufacturer to check (I didn't want to b*gger the radio either).
__________________
1988 Fiat Panda 4X4 - Scrappy
2007 Fiat Panda 100HP - APY
P1NKY is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-07-2017   #4
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Sweden 
Re: Radio instalation

Quote Originally Posted by Freebo View Post
I wired mine in recently and wired in the yellow and red into the power wire, I crimpted them both into a bullet connector (I only used these as this is what the old headunit used). I have been told you can run a cable for the ignition on/off from either the back of the ignition barrel or from the rear brake lights.

Here's a pic of the old wiring.
Attachment 182032
Thanks. I wired it exactly like this, but now the radio is always on, even when the car is completely turned off, and that isn't right. Any suggestions?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Albert Alfvag is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-07-2017   #5
PANDA!!
 
Freebo's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Selby
Posts: 3,977
Thanks: 146
Trader Rating: 0
Freebo is part of the official FF Events Team :)
Freebo has donated!
Ghost Ball Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Radio instalation

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Alfvag View Post
Thanks. I wired it exactly like this, but now the radio is always on, even when the car is completely turned off, and that isn't right. Any suggestions?


Well wired up like this that is normal. You would need to turn off the headunit yourself. If you want it to go on/off with the ignition you will need to tap an ignition live from elsewhere such as the rear brake lights.
Freebo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-07-2017   #6
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Sweden 
Re: Radio instalation

Quote Originally Posted by Freebo View Post
Well wired up like this that is normal. You would need to turn off the headunit yourself. If you want it to go on/off with the ignition you will need to tap an ignition live from elsewhere such as the rear brake lights.
Ok after the initial setup of the car stereo itself, I was allowed to switch the stereo off. Before, when I connected the battery the first time and tried to turn the stereo off, it just switched between normal operation and some demo-mode. but now I can manually turn the stereo off with the power button.

Just to make sure. This won't drain the battery if the car stereo is turned off manualy? Because I CAN start and use the stereo at any time even without the keys in the ignition.

Thanks for the help, and sorry if I'm a bit daft!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Albert Alfvag is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-07-2017   #7
PANDA!!
 
Freebo's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Selby
Posts: 3,977
Thanks: 146
Trader Rating: 0
Freebo is part of the official FF Events Team :)
Freebo has donated!
Ghost Ball Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Radio instalation

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Alfvag View Post
Ok after the initial setup of the car stereo itself, I was allowed to switch the stereo off. Before, when I connected the battery the first time and tried to turn the stereo off, it just switched between normal operation and some demo-mode. but now I can manually turn the stereo off with the power button.



Just to make sure. This won't drain the battery if the car stereo is turned off manualy? Because I CAN start and use the stereo at any time even without the keys in the ignition.



Thanks for the help, and sorry if I'm a bit daft!


I can't guarantee it won't drain your battery but from memory it will draw some power as it has to in order to save settings etc. What I do is turn the stereo off and pop the face off to ensure it is properly off.
Freebo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-07-2017   #8
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 575
Thanks: 61
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Radio instalation

Yep if you connect your permanent wire to the clock feed to keep on the memory
The clock will use far more power than the radio most have a small battery built in too to keep a memory on the radio for a day or so
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Sjvarley; 10-07-2017 at 16:27.
Sjvarley is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-07-2017   #9
☢Caution Project Fallout☢
 
Dragon Man's Avatar
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The East Midlands, Derby.
Posts: 4,862
Thanks: 275
Trader Rating: 0
Dragon Man has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Radio instalation

i took a live from the feed to the head light switch for an ignition live.. i dropped a 1 amp fuse inline as its only a signal wire. now my radio turns on and off with the cars ignition and i never have the issue of leaving the radio on pause or mute over night and returning to a flat battery...

theres other ignition lives too, the one that goes to the brake light switch is an ignition live that you could tap into.
Dragon Man is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-07-2017   #10
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Sweden 
Re: Radio instalation

Alright thanks for the help guys. For the moment I'm quite content with switching the radio on and off manually. But if I ever get sick of it I at least know where I can tap the ignition power from.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Albert Alfvag is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-07-2017   #11
Speed Reader of the Year!
 
Most Easterly Pandas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,221
Thanks: 1222
Trader Rating: 2
Most Easterly Pandas has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Radio instalation

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Alfvag View Post
Thanks. I wired it exactly like this, but now the radio is always on, even when the car is completely turned off, and that isn't right. Any suggestions?
Sound perfectly normal for the setup in a Classic Panda. I always remove the facia off of my head unit when parked which stops any battery drain
__________________
Most Easterly Panda's - Panda'ing in East Anglia
Stockest of mk2 Panda Parts, PM for any parts requests
2 White Classic Panda Selecta's, 1989 Panda 750L,
2013 Toyota Prius Plug-In & 2009 Panda Eleganza
Most Easterly Pandas is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
punto mk2 factory fitted radio/cd player instalation trouble. alankyle I.C.E 1 11-03-2012 20:40
(G) el instalation sharkog Tempra 0 07-01-2009 18:03
Newbie hello and question about radio instalation (DOBLO) catalanguy Newbie Central 0 06-11-2008 23:47
(T) LPG instalation? tonifiatforum Bravo / Brava 0 25-05-2008 08:01
radio-cd instalation (plus help needed) andreas-Greece FIAT Boo Archives 0 14-06-2002 23:48