Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2013   #1
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 116
Trader Rating: 0
Netherlands 
Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

Would be interesting.
__________________
There are pretenders among us.....
Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.

The Pretender is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-01-2013   #2
Chichi and Qing Qing
 
pandamonius_maximus's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gloucestershire
Posts: 3,042
Thanks: 108
Trader Rating: 0
pandamonius_maximus has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?



If I didn't already have too many projects on the go I would give it a try. Could be an amazing car and would be very interesting to see how it does on fuel economy too. Would it be better or worse than the new panda? Lighter car but shaped like a brick!

Likes Didge3 liked this post
pandamonius_maximus is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-01-2013   #3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hull
Posts: 2,039
Thanks: 36
Trader Rating: 0
Aston Martin has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

Quote Originally Posted by pandamonius_maximus View Post
Would it be better or worse than the new panda?

Getting stabbed by a rusty knife is better than the new Panda.
__________________
You can't rationalize cars like these. They're not something you buy with your head, you buy them with your heart because you love them. And who can explain love? All I know is, I love this tiny Fiat, more than I love the others.
Aston Martin is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-01-2013   #4
Chichi and Qing Qing
 
pandamonius_maximus's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gloucestershire
Posts: 3,042
Thanks: 108
Trader Rating: 0
pandamonius_maximus has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aston Martin View Post
Getting stabbed by a rusty knife is better than the new Panda.
haha, I mean in terms of fuel economy and performance. Obviously the classic is cooler
pandamonius_maximus is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-01-2013   #5
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dundee
Posts: 1,647
Thanks: 144
Trader Rating: 1
Giacosa has donated!
Lunar Lander 2 Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

Quote Originally Posted by pandamonius_maximus View Post


If I didn't already have too many projects on the go I would give it a try. Could be an amazing car and would be very interesting to see how it does on fuel economy too. Would it be better or worse than the new panda? Lighter car but shaped like a brick!

I reckon your new X-reg needs one
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Giacosa is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-01-2013   #6
Chichi and Qing Qing
 
pandamonius_maximus's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gloucestershire
Posts: 3,042
Thanks: 108
Trader Rating: 0
pandamonius_maximus has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Giacosa View Post
I reckon your new X-reg needs one
Hmmm that could be controversial... (unlike me I know) Also by the time I get round working on the X-reg, someone will have done this already Unless I manage to get it MOT'd this year. Still planning to sell it as a rolling restoration really but them plans do change

Si
pandamonius_maximus is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-01-2013   #7
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dundee
Posts: 1,647
Thanks: 144
Trader Rating: 1
Giacosa has donated!
Lunar Lander 2 Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

Quote Originally Posted by pandamonius_maximus View Post
Hmmm that could be controversial... (unlike me I know) Also by the time I get round working on the X-reg, someone will have done this already Unless I manage to get it MOT'd this year. Still planning to sell it as a rolling restoration really but them plans do change

Si
I guess I like the idea of oldest Panda meets latest twin air technology. In a way the twin air harks back to the original Panda 30 but much less asthmatic.
Likes pandamonius_maximus, VmanC liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Giacosa is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-01-2013   #8
The Panda whisperer
 
VmanC's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alton, Hants.
Posts: 5,808
Thanks: 314
Trader Rating: 2
VmanC has donated!
Race to Excel Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

This conversion would mostly be about skirting around modern electrical gubbins to get the thing to run.
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
VmanC is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-01-2013   #9
Chichi and Qing Qing
 
pandamonius_maximus's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gloucestershire
Posts: 3,042
Thanks: 108
Trader Rating: 0
pandamonius_maximus has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

Quote Originally Posted by VmanC View Post
This conversion would mostly be about skirting around modern electrical gubbins to get the thing to run.
That was my main concern...I have a bad history with electrics Probably why I like the classic panda so much I suppose; only got 2 wires for on and off

But yeah Kris, this would be best done with a Panda 30 really; damn it though the more I think about it the more cool it sounds; could be an "eco racer"
pandamonius_maximus is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-01-2013   #10
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dundee
Posts: 1,647
Thanks: 144
Trader Rating: 1
Giacosa has donated!
Lunar Lander 2 Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

Quote Originally Posted by pandamonius_maximus View Post
That was my main concern...I have a bad history with electrics Probably why I like the classic panda so much I suppose; only got 2 wires for on and off

But yeah Kris, this would be best done with a Panda 30 really; damn it though the more I think about it the more cool it sounds; could be an "eco racer"
One eco racer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panda 30.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	111984  
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Giacosa is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 29-01-2013   #11
All go, no show
 
lewey's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South Birmingham
Posts: 2,453
Thanks: 175
Trader Rating: 0
lewey has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

TwinAir in the Panda is the same work as my 1.4 16v car. Uses same gearbox, so apart from an engine mount fabrication, it will drop in quite easily. Just a case of using the wiring diagrams to make it fire up then. I thought about it and considered it as a replacement for my Panda, until I eventually decided on an Uno T-Jet. Ultimately, it would give little or no performance benefit as opposed the 1.4 and perhaps not a huge amount more economy for what is still an expensive and difficult to find engine. I don't think the engine is light enough that it would make any appreciable difference to handling. It would be more interesting though.
__________________
lewey is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 29-01-2013   #12
Panda Wanda
 
kolza's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: YO11
Posts: 2,542
Thanks: 196
Trader Rating: 1
kolza has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

That's my favorites one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panda4x42004.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	112026  
Likes VmanC liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

kolza is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 30-01-2013   #13
Chichi and Qing Qing
 
pandamonius_maximus's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gloucestershire
Posts: 3,042
Thanks: 108
Trader Rating: 0
pandamonius_maximus has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

Quote Originally Posted by lewey View Post
TwinAir in the Panda is the same work as my 1.4 16v car. Uses same gearbox, so apart from an engine mount fabrication, it will drop in quite easily. Just a case of using the wiring diagrams to make it fire up then. I thought about it and considered it as a replacement for my Panda, until I eventually decided on an Uno T-Jet. Ultimately, it would give little or no performance benefit as opposed the 1.4 and perhaps not a huge amount more economy for what is still an expensive and difficult to find engine. I don't think the engine is light enough that it would make any appreciable difference to handling. It would be more interesting though.
Howdy, nothing like a good engine swap conversation to grab your attention. Hope you are well, this year I'll be running the Marbella in it's first hillclimb or sprint so will let you know when that is if you'd like to observe/join in!

Anyway back on topic, sounds promisingly easy to physically mount the engine then. I have to admit I had in my head the engine being tiny and much lighter but not really done much investigation at this stage

I think I have enough on my plate at the moment though so no idea if it would get done and I am still not sure about using a mk1.

Si
pandamonius_maximus is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2013   #14
All go, no show
 
lewey's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South Birmingham
Posts: 2,453
Thanks: 175
Trader Rating: 0
lewey has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

I remember when the FPT website existed, it said a turbo TwinAir was the same weight as a 16v FIRE when you factor the stuff that goes with a turbo. On it's own it basically weighs the same (to the Kilo) as a 8v 1.2 FIRE.

I've PM'd you.
__________________
lewey is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-12-2014   #15
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 116
Trader Rating: 0
Netherlands 
Re: Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

There are enough crashed TwinAir's out there to score a TA Turbo engine.
The question would be how much electrical gubbins can be deactivated in the ECU so that they no longer have a impact on the retro fit.
__________________
There are pretenders among us.....
Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.

The Pretender is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Twin Air Lounge is no more? bazves 500 19 16-04-2012 19:28
(G) Twin air with no air con. Robmckenzieuk 500 22 27-02-2012 08:46
(G) 1.4 to Twin Air Littala 500 79 05-06-2011 21:02
(G) Are twin air is in the uk Tlbarrs 500 3 26-01-2011 20:33
(G) Twin-Air Viper19 500 3 12-04-2010 17:38