Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25-04-2018   #1
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: France
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
France 
Which one is the best choice for a car under $1000?

Hello guys,

I have plan to purchase a used car, I'm looking for used cars for sale under $1000 (http://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-c...-under-usd1000) , I would like to get some advances to choose which one. My purposes are driving inside small city, fuel efficient & safety.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

DidierAubin87 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 25-04-2018   #2
Moderator
 
g8rpi's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 4,448
Thanks: 449
Trader Rating: 0
g8rpi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Which one is the best choice for a car under $1000?

Quote Originally Posted by DidierAubin87 View Post
Hello guys,

I have plan to purchase a used car, I'm looking for used cars for sale under $1000 (http://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-c...-under-usd1000) , I would like to get some advances to choose which one. My purposes are driving inside small city, fuel efficient & safety.
Hi,
Your info says you are in France, which has left hand drive cars. Japan has right hand drive cars. Apart from any import restrictions, changing headlights and DREAL single vehicle approval inspection, the practical everyday difficulties of driving a wrong sided car, visibility at junctions, taking tickets at car parks or toll booths for example, normally outweigh any cost savings. Unless the model you really want is just not available, buy a local car. Any car under €1000 is likely to have issues so unless you can service and repair it yourself be prepared to scrap it at any time. The cost of modern servicing has relegated "bangernomics" to those who can do work themselves.

Looks like it's even harder than I thought, see:
https://smartexpat.com/france/nouvel...import-1581594



Robert G8RPI.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by g8rpi; 25-04-2018 at 12:47.
g8rpi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 25-04-2018   #3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 11,795
Thanks: 583
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Which one is the best choice for a car under $1000?

Although the car itself might be $1000, have you looked at getting a quote to see what the total cost of importing the car would be.

A cheap little run about, once imported and gotten through all the red tape Robert lists above, your $1000 car might end up costing more like $3000-4000

The reason that we import Japanese cars to the uk is that they are one of only a few countries that are right hand drive like us, and you can buy high performance Japanese cars and import them cheaper than you’d buy the equivalent uk car for.

We don’t buy $500 Nissan micras and import them, it’s just not worth it. If you want something a bit special, an RX7 a GTR skyline, lancer evo etc, then it’s worth the import costs.
__________________
Maker and voice behind the YouTube channel PuntoHowTo 12k subscribers canít be wrong

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe

Last edited by Zeewulf; 26-04-2018 at 00:03. Reason: think you meant RHD not LHD ;)
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-04-2018   #4
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: France
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
France 
Re: Which one is the best choice for a car under $1000?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
Although the car itself might be $1000, have you looked at getting a quote to see what the total cost of importing the car would be.

A cheap little run about, once imported and gotten through all the red tape Robert lists above, your $1000 car might end up costing more like $3000-4000

The reason that we import Japanese cars to the uk is that they are one of only a few countries that are right hand drive like us, and you can buy high performance Japanese cars and import them cheaper than youíd buy the equivalent uk car for.

We donít buy $500 Nissan micras and import them, itís just not worth it. If you want something a bit special, an RX7 a GTR skyline, lancer evo etc, then itís worth the import costs.
Thank you for information. I'm a newbie about importing car so that why I need these advances. Actually, the reason why I choose used car for sale under 1000 because my budget is very limited and like you said, right hand cars in UK are more expensive than Japanese used car. RX7 or GTR skyline is not cheap to me, can you recommend another model that is deserved to import but the price is better?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

DidierAubin87 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-04-2018   #5
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: France
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
France 
Re: Which one is the best choice for a car under $1000?

Quote Originally Posted by g8rpi View Post
Hi,
Your info says you are in France, which has left hand drive cars. Japan has right hand drive cars. Apart from any import restrictions, changing headlights and DREAL single vehicle approval inspection, the practical everyday difficulties of driving a wrong sided car, visibility at junctions, taking tickets at car parks or toll booths for example, normally outweigh any cost savings. Unless the model you really want is just not available, buy a local car. Any car under Ä1000 is likely to have issues so unless you can service and repair it yourself be prepared to scrap it at any time. The cost of modern servicing has relegated "bangernomics" to those who can do work themselves.

Looks like it's even harder than I thought, see:
https://smartexpat.com/france/nouvel...import-1581594

Robert G8RPI.

Actually, I ask for a friend who is in UK and I'm a newbie about this problem so I would like to learn more , thanks for information.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

DidierAubin87 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-04-2018   #6
Cheese it!
 
StevenRB45's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 7,081
Thanks: 80
Trader Rating: 0
StevenRB45 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Which one is the best choice for a car under $1000?

Looking at that website suggests to me it's aimed at importers rather than the general public. You don't normally associate the phrase 3 for 2 with a private car buyer!

Prices also suggest that the cost is for cars on a dock in Japan and you do the rest.

Something like www.alljapanesemotors.co.uk would be a more realistic look in that their prices are for mot and registered cars in the UK.

There's plenty other companies do it as well but the chances of it being that cheap once it's here are 0. The shipping would cost more.
__________________

Last edited by StevenRB45; 27-04-2018 at 16:59.
StevenRB45 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-04-2018   #7
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 11,795
Thanks: 583
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Which one is the best choice for a car under $1000?

Quote Originally Posted by DidierAubin87 View Post
Thank you for information. I'm a newbie about importing car so that why I need these advances. Actually, the reason why I choose used car for sale under 1000 because my budget is very limited and like you said, right hand cars in UK are more expensive than Japanese used car. RX7 or GTR skyline is not cheap to me, can you recommend another model that is deserved to import but the price is better?
Quote Originally Posted by DidierAubin87 View Post
Actually, I ask for a friend who is in UK and I'm a newbie about this problem so I would like to learn more , thanks for information.
Iím confused now, are you buying for yourself or for a friend?

The simple fact here is that the cost of the car needs to be worth the cost of importing the car, there will be very few $1000 cars (~£725) that would be worth the cost of importing, the import charges would cost much more than the car is worth. And there are plenty of uk cars under £725 on eBay without importing something from japan.

The reason I bought up the likes of the skyline or the RX7 is that there are few of these cars in the uk, what cars are in the uk have a very hefty price tag, so when youíre talking £20,000 for a uk based R34 skyline versus an import from the site you listed where I found one for £12,400 it makes it worth the £2000-3000 to import it and make any modifications for uk roads.

Itís not worth importing a $1000 Nissan micra and importing it at a cost of £2000-3000 with modifications for uk roads, when you can buy a similar uk based far for £600 in uk spec.
__________________
Maker and voice behind the YouTube channel PuntoHowTo 12k subscribers canít be wrong

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 29-10-2019   #8
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17,551
Thanks: 902
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Which one is the best choice for a car under $1000?

Fiat Pandas (169) are cheap these days and cheap to maintain but £1000 will buy a bag of bolts with all sorts of hidden problems. If you (or your friend) cannot do the repair work yourself or actually needs a car that works reliably, then you need to at least double the budget.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

DaveMcT is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 29-10-2019   #9
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 29,267
Thanks: 1155
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcT View Post
Fiat Pandas (169) are cheap these days and cheap to maintain but £1000 will buy a bag of bolts with all sorts of hidden problems. If you (or your friend) cannot do the repair work yourself or actually needs a car that works reliably, then you need to at least double the budget.
Eh..??
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grande Punto New Member, New Car, Right Choice? Sulli Newbie Central 9 10-07-2014 15:39
New Member, New Car, Right Choice? Sulli Leisure Lounge 8 09-07-2014 22:46
New car choice Jonjo Polling Station 15 16-01-2012 12:48
(G) your first cinq - what did others think of car choice? levemircento Cinquecento / Seicento 25 08-01-2007 17:17
new car choice rob17 Lets Talk FIAT 15 20-12-2005 00:39