Register Login
Mr FIAT - Your #1 source for vintage car parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Big hello and a bit of help please

Hello everyone. Just joined the fiat club.
I have a doblo van xl and it's amazing. I've moved up from a smaller doblo and can't believe the space.
Anyway my husband serviced dotty as I called her but the new van is a 2013 model and quite a bit more complicated. The van is saying the oil needs changing as its degraded. A bit worrying as when bought the van had just been serviced!!!! Not to mention the fact that when setting off to get home it stopped as there was no oil in the engine!!! Thankfully we were near a garage and my husband had been reading the owners manual and new what oil to buy. Had to add 3litres to bring back upto full!!!
Problem is we can't find where the oil filter is housed. The engine is a 2.0 d multi jet 135 Bhp version.
So if anyone can help then he can change the oil and filter and get back to normal.
Many thanks
Carla...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Love4bags is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 18,202
Thanks: 641
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by Love4bags View Post
Hello everyone. Just joined the fiat club.
I have a doblo van xl and it's amazing. I've moved up from a smaller doblo and can't believe the space.
Anyway my husband serviced dotty as I called her but the new van is a 2013 model and quite a bit more complicated. The van is saying the oil needs changing as its degraded. A bit worrying as when bought the van had just been serviced!!!! Not to mention the fact that when setting off to get home it stopped as there was no oil in the engine!!! Thankfully we were near a garage and my husband had been reading the owners manual and new what oil to buy. Had to add 3litres to bring back upto full!!!
Problem is we can't find where the oil filter is housed. The engine is a 2.0 d multi jet 135 Bhp version.
So if anyone can help then he can change the oil and filter and get back to normal.
Many thanks
Carla...
Hi. Often found under a domed metal cover on top of engine.

Will need some kit to reset the DPF stuff in the Engine ECU

Charlie
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Big hello and a bit of help please

Charlie
Thank you. We will have a look tomorrow.
Already spotted a YouTube on how to reset oil change warning. All you have to do is stick your foot on the gas peddle and press the brake 7 times. Warning is reset and dpf (whatever that is) resumes.
Thanks Carla.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Love4bags is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 18,202
Thanks: 641
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by Love4bags View Post
Charlie
Thank you. We will have a look tomorrow.
Already spotted a YouTube on how to reset oil change warning. All you have to do is stick your foot on the gas peddle and press the brake 7 times. Warning is reset and dpf (whatever that is) resumes.
Thanks Carla.
Hi Carla.

No problem.
Dpf .. a soot trap in the exhaust

Diesel
Particulate
Filter

Its complicated.. basically car works put how dirty the oil gets..
When you put clean oil and filter in.. you have to reset it.. or you get a premature warning (sound familiar..)

To reset the 'oil degradation index'

You need to plug into the
On
Board
Diagnostic

Obd port.. near drivers knee

LOTS of info on here ..just SEARCH the relevant terms

Charlie
Likes Pugglt Auld Jock liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Edinburgh Scotland
Posts: 614
Thanks: 42
Trader Rating: 0
Pugglt Auld Jock has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Big hello and a bit of help please

Quote Originally Posted by varesecrazy View Post
Hi Carla.

No problem.
Dpf .. a soot trap in the exhaust

Diesel
Particulate
Filter

Its complicated.. basically car works put how dirty the oil gets..
When you put clean oil and filter in.. you have to reset it.. or you get a premature warning (sound familiar..)

To reset the 'oil degradation index'

You need to plug into the
On
Board
Diagnostic

Obd port.. near drivers knee

LOTS of info on here ..just SEARCH the relevant terms

Charlie
Hi Carla & welcome! Charlie's given you some excellent advice there.

At the risk of sounding like a "know-it-all", because I don't (know it all that is - but there are some on here who pretty much do!) I would say that, although you may get a result of some sort from your pressing pedals reset procedure I think it unlikely it'll do it properly. The ECU (computer) needs to know that the oil has been changed so that it will do DPF regenerations properly. If it thinks an oil change is needed it will either stop doing regens or try to do them repeatedly - far more often than normal. Either result is likely to be detrimental to this soot filter (DPF) and they are not cheap to replace (our local independent Volkswagen garage quoted 1500 to do the one on my son's Fabia. Main dealer wanted over 2000 - I actually felt faint for a couple of minutes!!! I thought about doing it myself but the filter alone was about 2/3 of the cost).

I would suggest that you need "Multiecuscan" which is a program that runs on a laptop. It comes in various versions and the more basic versions are very affordable. I first heard about it a few years ago when I first started "lurking" around on this forum (The "family fleet" includes a Punto and a Panda) It uses an interface that plugs into the OBD port mentioned by Charlie and will let you do almost anything the Fiat dealer can do with his expensive set up (and a lot more than generic equipment). I, at 72 years old, am a computer idiot. But, having owned my copy of MES (Multiecuscan) for a bit over a year now, am able to do all the simpler service and fault code related functions and I'm now getting into the more complicated "stuff". One of the most useful features is that it "leads you by the nose" because it includes on screen guides as to what action to take and makes suggestions as to fault code diagnosis. You can download a free version from their website and run it in simulation mode which lets you see how it works and what it can do. Please also give the helpful people at "GENDAN" a ring and talk to them about it. They are official distributors and even if you decide not to buy one of their packages you will find them very helpful. I actually bought my kit from them and greatly appreciate their ongoing support. There are many forum members who use it and the depth of help and knowledge available here is prodigious! Your Hubby sounds to me like a person who would quickly master it!

All the best for the year to come
Jock
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Pugglt Auld Jock; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:31.
Pugglt Auld Jock is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Edinburgh Scotland
Posts: 614
Thanks: 42
Trader Rating: 0
Pugglt Auld Jock has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Big hello and a bit of help please

By the way Carla. Just so you don't feel too anxious, My friend at the Volkswagen garage tells me that a well maintained diesel should see at least around 100,000 miles out of it's DPF. Our Fabia's failed at 95,000 but it runs a slightly modified ECU program which is probably the culprit.

You may also know that vehicles fitted with a DPF need to get a periodic, uninterrupted, steady run at constant speed for, maybe 20 minutes or so, such as a cruise on the motorway or a dual carriageway without roundabouts, for the regeneration process to be properly completed. Excessively high revs are not needed but 4th gear, rather than 5th is probably beneficial. A diesel that spends it's life pottering around town is highly likely to suffer repeated problems with its DPF and, although a forced regeneration (Multiecuscan can facilitate this) can be performed it's not a long term way to treat the DPF and is likely, if used repeatedly, to lead to early DPF failure. Nothing works as well, or is as cheap, as a weekly run up the motorway!

Best wishes
jock
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Pugglt Auld Jock is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 18,202
Thanks: 641
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by Pugglt Auld Jock View Post
By the way Carla. Just so you don't feel too anxious, My friend at the Volkswagen garage tells me that a well maintained diesel should see at least around 100,000 miles out of it's DPF

Nothing works as well, or is as cheap, as a weekly run up the motorway!

Best wishes
jock
Cheapest solution:
Unless the m.way trip is to an
'outlet village'
Likes Pugglt Auld Jock liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(S) Is it a big job to change over the instrument cluster bit? Scott_20 Grande Punto 9 01-12-2007 22:32
a bit late i know..... but a big thanks to all @ donnysouth bravo_rich FIAT Boo Archives 0 16-08-2005 21:33
Fiat Punto Mk1 Rear big bumper skin looks bit like beast bumper dave Auction Watch 0 04-09-2004 02:52
Bit big sorry first photos Up date fuel cap Trev FIAT Boo Archives 0 26-06-2004 22:46
Isn´t Bravo´s Vans rear, a little bit bit loose at High Speeds? Tiago Ferreira FIAT Boo Archives 1 20-09-2001 18:09