Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2017   #16
Moderator
 
Peter Pick-Up's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,365
Thanks: 200
Trader Rating: 0
Peter Pick-Up has donated!
Netherlands 
Re: Paraflu Coolant

License plate lighting..?
Likes wiggi555 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Peter Pick-Up is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 30-09-2017   #17
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Paraflu Coolant

Brilliant guidance - thanks Not that great with a spanner Everything such as heater and boot lid seem fine. Will do the coolant level check - I do now have coolant and distilled water ready to fill - still have car booked in for a check up so can give them a full list of things to check now Loving this forum - such great advice for a newbie fiat owner
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

wiggi555 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 30-09-2017   #18
Moderator
 
Peter Pick-Up's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,365
Thanks: 200
Trader Rating: 0
Peter Pick-Up has donated!
Netherlands 
Re: Paraflu Coolant

Ask to have the cooling system pressurized, any leaks will be visable that way.
Likes wiggi555 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Peter Pick-Up is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-10-2017   #19
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 165
Thanks: 15
Trader Rating: 0
p6baseunit has donated!
p6baseunit is an honorary friend of the forum :)
Spain 
Re: Paraflu Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by wiggi555 View Post
Hi - thanks - year of reg 2010 and mileage 56 103. Car is new to me - have it booked in for a check up next week so will ask them to check these Appreciate your help
Hi there, at this age the car will definitely need a water pump and cambelt if you have no history to prove it has been done. It's not something a mechanic can usually "check". Failure of the cambelt will destroy the engine!

Here is the link for the replacement thermostat - the ideal replacement is metal not the plastic original ones. They do fail on older 1.2s leaving you stranded or worse dumping all of the coolant at once and damaging the engine.
I would guess its something you should order yourself and hand to the mechanic to replace.. It's not really something to check.. one minute they look fine and then next week the car has broken down etc!

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=s...857&sku=268031

Just thought I should spell this out, as no one else has.
Likes frupi liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by p6baseunit; 10-10-2017 at 14:13.
p6baseunit is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-10-2017   #20
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 2,357
Thanks: 136
Trader Rating: 0
frupi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Paraflu Coolant

Agree with p6baseunit. You can't really tell the age of a cambelt just by looking at it, though you can of course gauge an idea of what state it is in by mark one eyeball. If there is any sign of water staining from waterpump leakage on the belt, it and the waterpump need changing absolutely asap, along with tensioner/roller if applicable. Also, any visible cracking, it needs changing, but in any case, I wouldn't go beyond 5 years. Ordinarily, under ideal storage conditions, cambelts have a shelf life of 8 years, assuming they have been stored correctly. You will always however have the odd person who will emphatically state they've had the same cambelt on their car for 10 or 20 years or have 'reused' a cambelt they thought looked 'Ok'. I say good luck to 'em!

What I will never understand are mechanics who don't recommend a waterpump/tensioner change when the cambelt is done or customers who think they're somehow doing themselves a favour by refusing to have the waterpump changed at the same time. It's total false economy not to have the waterpump changed at the same time. It usually adds about 40 to the total cost of the job, but can quite literally save hundreds by preventing a wrecked engine.
Likes p6baseunit liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

frupi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-10-2017   #21
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 2,357
Thanks: 136
Trader Rating: 0
frupi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Paraflu Coolant

p6baseunit,

I think you're confusing the thermostat with the waterpump, two completely different parts......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Fi...UAAMXQBwlRJMAT
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by frupi; 10-10-2017 at 14:24.
frupi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-10-2017   #22
It's always more involved
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Tynemouth
Posts: 1,766
Thanks: 66
Trader Rating: 0
John202020 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Paraflu Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by frupi View Post
What I will never understand are mechanics who don't recommend a water pump/tensioner change when the cambelt is done
I got Fiat to do my cam belt, it was the cheapest around, didn't ask, but after collection I noted they did not replace the water pump, they said they don't replace it unless there's signs of failure?
__________________
30 years of Honda Accords, now Mazda 6 and a Fiat 500
John202020 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-10-2017   #23
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 165
Thanks: 15
Trader Rating: 0
p6baseunit has donated!
p6baseunit is an honorary friend of the forum :)
Spain 
Re: Paraflu Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by frupi View Post
p6baseunit,

I think you're confusing the thermostat with the waterpump, two completely different parts......
Nope, I am not confusing anything. The water pump and cambelt should be changed at this mileage ASAP. The plastic thermostat should be replaced for the metal type (on the 1.2) while the mechanic is working on the car. I suggested that the OP buy the thermostat and give it to the mechanic, otherwise they may not bother! Replacing the thermostat was discussed on the previous page.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by p6baseunit; 10-10-2017 at 14:53.
p6baseunit is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-10-2017   #24
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 165
Thanks: 15
Trader Rating: 0
p6baseunit has donated!
p6baseunit is an honorary friend of the forum :)
Spain 
Re: Paraflu Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by John202020 View Post
I got Fiat to do my cam belt, it was the cheapest around, didn't ask, but after collection I noted they did not replace the water pump, they said they don't replace it unless there's signs of failure?
This is a good reason not to ask Fiat to do the job!
You end up paying Fiat twice when the water pump needs doing in 18months or worse a small leak rots the cambelt and trashes the engine...
Either way its not a course of action to recommend to anyone!

Change the water pump at the same time you change the cambelt, there is hardly any extra labour to pay to get this done... no wonder Fiat were competitive!
Likes John202020 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

p6baseunit is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-10-2017   #25
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 2,357
Thanks: 136
Trader Rating: 0
frupi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Paraflu Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by p6baseunit View Post
Nope, I am not confusing anything. The water pump and cambelt should be changed at this mileage ASAP. The plastic thermostat should be replaced for the metal type (on the 1.2) while the mechanic is working on the car. I suggested that the OP buy the thermostat and give it to the mechanic, otherwise they may not bother! Replacing the thermostat was discussed on the previous page.
Oh, ok, it's just I've never known a thermostat to be changed as a matter of routine or preference, but if a replacement metal one over plastic is better, then yes of course, I understand why one would want to change it.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

frupi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-10-2017   #26
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 165
Thanks: 15
Trader Rating: 0
p6baseunit has donated!
p6baseunit is an honorary friend of the forum :)
Spain 
Re: Paraflu Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by frupi View Post
Oh, ok, it's just I've never known a thermostat to be changed as a matter of routine or preference, but if a replacement metal one over plastic is better, then yes of course, I understand why one would want to change it.
The plastic thermostats on the 1.2 are a weak area. They fail regularly once the car is past 4 or 5 years old.. Its an issue with the plastic housing, not the actually thermostat, but they come as one piece. It would be wise to replace it (the once) for the metal type to save you being stranded somewhere. It's not routine, but will save you a lot of hassle!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by p6baseunit; 10-10-2017 at 15:07.
p6baseunit is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-10-2017   #27
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 2,357
Thanks: 136
Trader Rating: 0
frupi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Paraflu Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by John202020 View Post
I got Fiat to do my cam belt, it was the cheapest around, didn't ask, but after collection I noted they did not replace the water pump, they said they don't replace it unless there's signs of failure?
I have to admit John, when you had your cambelt done, I thought you'd had the waterpump replaced at the same time. I truly hope it lasts the test of time during your tenure of ownership. For me, it's just something I would have had done. I know too many people who've had snapped cambelts purely as a consequence of waterpump failure. Indeed, on my Saab 9-3, which is fitted with the Fiat 1.9 engine, all Saab, Croma, Vectra and Alfa owners sharing the same engine variant, have the waterpump and tensioner swapped out during cambelt change.

To me, it's just the sign of a poor or inexperienced mechanic who doesn't advise a waterpump replacement at cambelt change, but of course, if it fails and wrecks the engine 12 or 18 months down the line, there's potentially money in it for them should you take the car to them for repairs. If you don't take it back to them, they don't care anyway because if asked, all they'll say is, 'He didn't ask us to do the job!'.

I'm assuming in your case, that the mechanic took the time to unbolt the waterpump and physically check it, including the bearing in the pump?.....I possibly think not!
Likes p6baseunit liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

frupi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-10-2017   #28
It's always more involved
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Tynemouth
Posts: 1,766
Thanks: 66
Trader Rating: 0
John202020 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by frupi View Post
I have to admit John, when you had your cambelt done, I thought you'd had the waterpump replaced at the same time. I truly hope it lasts the test of time during your tenure of ownership. For me, it's just something I would have had done. I know too many people who've had snapped cambelts purely as a consequence of waterpump failure. Indeed, on my Saab 9-3, which is fitted with the Fiat 1.9 engine, all Saab, Croma, Vectra and Alfa owners sharing the same engine variant, have the waterpump and tensioner swapped out during cambelt change.

To me, it's just the sign of a poor or inexperienced mechanic who doesn't advise a waterpump replacement at cambelt change, but of course, if it fails and wrecks the engine 12 or 18 months down the line, there's potentially money in it for them should you take the car to them for repairs. If you don't take it back to them, they don't care anyway because if asked, all they'll say is, 'He didn't ask us to do the job!'.

I'm assuming in your case, that the mechanic took the time to unbolt the waterpump and physically check it, including the bearing in the pump?.....I possibly think not!
I had wrongly assumed it was a routine replacement whilst getting the belt done so didn't mention it until I picked it up when it was too late, time will tell?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

John202020 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-10-2017   #29
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 2,357
Thanks: 136
Trader Rating: 0
frupi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Paraflu Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by John202020 View Post
I had wrongly assumed it was a routine replacement whilst getting the belt done so didn't mention it until I picked it up when it was too late, time will tell?
Sadly John, it is not. Unfortunately, there are Service Managers out there who haven't got a scooby about much mechanical, if they did, they'd have said something at the time. However, any decent technician would have gone to the effort of speaking to the Service Manager at the time and double checking that the customer didn't want the waterpump changing.

I can only stress to those people who have yet to have a cambelt replacement, don't forego the opportunity to have a waterpump replacement at the same time, it's only a few quid extra to get it done. Almost all cambelt failures resulting in a wrecked engine, are entirely down to the failure of other components or more rarely, an incompetent mechanic not doing the job properly. The cambelt itself is an extremely strong bit of kit.
Likes p6baseunit, jrkitching, John202020 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

frupi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Fiat Stilo 05 Antifreeze/coolant/paraflu top up advice Jbent Stilo 3 22-10-2011 19:44
(T) Paraflu 11? ruttyboy Punto (Mk2/2b) 17 27-01-2010 10:41
(T) Alternatives to paraflu coolant tonyhag Ulysse 6 08-08-2009 23:10
(T) Problem with engine coolant What is paraflu? Please help! Laserboot Bravo / Brava 23 10-08-2006 21:24