Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 51
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Car Failed MOT and needs parts

Hi all,

My car has failed MOT this week which I was not surprised as needs welding on subframe to reattach rear bump stop. It will be coated with hammerite or something similar and then new springs added also.

Mot test centre has advised the following,

Repair immediatley

Nearside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn trailing arm bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Nearside Rear Shock absorbers has a serious fluid leak (5.3.2 (b))
Offside Front Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.1.3 (b) (i))

Advisories

Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))
Nearside Rear bump stop corroded

I will not be doing the job myself but my friend is local mechanic and will help me out. He has had the car up on the ramp and advised that changing the trailing arm is a right pig but says best thing to do is change the ABS track control arms. - I plan to head down later today to look at the car underneath.

Where is the best place to source parts cheap please?

I have looked on Auto doc and the swing arms are 65.00 - any idea on length of time / labour. Read previous threads of around 4 hours.

on the plus side the clutch and gearbox has holded up well and my car is doing regen
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Hulk83 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Aylesbury
Posts: 162
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Hi.I've just changed my nsr swing arm bearing and bought a Borg and Beck kit from ebay for under 20. It took me just under 3 hours to change, but I'm no mechanic and was working on a gravel driveway. I'd doubt you'd need a complete swing arm as it's usually just the bearings that collapse.
Shocks are also fairly easy to change,and you'll be undoing the bottom shock bolt anyway whilst doing the swingarm.
Good luck,and these jobs tend to sound worse than they usually are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190509_190310915.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	201201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190521_105616382.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	201202  

__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Tubthumper73 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 51
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Car Failed MOT and needs parts

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper73 View Post
Hi.I've just changed my nsr swing arm bearing and bought a Borg and Beck kit from ebay for under 20. It took me just under 3 hours to change, but I'm no mechanic and was working on a gravel driveway. I'd doubt you'd need a complete swing arm as it's usually just the bearings that collapse.
Shocks are also fairly easy to change,and you'll be undoing the bottom shock bolt anyway whilst doing the swingarm.
Good luck,and these jobs tend to sound worse than they usually are.
Thanks for the information. I did visit the garage today and was put up on the ramp. Mate says to do swing arms but will put this to him again as changing bearings seems alot less labour and also cost as well. Needs quite a few bits sorted at back and hoping this is the end of it.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Hulk83 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 51
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Car Failed MOT and needs parts

Hi, mechanic doesnt want to agro doing bearings on their own so going the swing arms route.

also need Abs Sensors.

my car is the 1.9 diesel multijet - 2006 model.

Please can someone point me in the cheapest and best place to source.

Autodoc was where I have looked but dont have the ABS sensors.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Hulk83 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 51
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Car Failed MOT and needs parts

Hi,

can someone help me out sourcing new rear ABS sensors?

Part numbers are 51705197 & 51705198

many thanks.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Hulk83 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Las Tablas
Posts: 38
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
Spain 
Re: Car Failed MOT and needs parts

__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Txuchin is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 51
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Car Failed MOT and needs parts

Thanks for the info.

awaiting swing arms and suspension springs from Auto doc.

They do not have the rear left in stock. No one seems to have them in stock from what ive seen on net.

I could get used ones from DAM Motors. - Is it best to just use new ones?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Hulk83 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Las Tablas
Posts: 38
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
Spain 
Re: Car Failed MOT and needs parts

It is an error of Eper. He says "left" to both sides but they are two different references:
46519893 and 46519894

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/...OEN%2046519893

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/...OEN%2046519894
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Txuchin is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 51
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Car Failed MOT and needs parts

Quote Originally Posted by Txuchin View Post
It is an error of Eper. He says "left" to both sides but they are two different references:
46519893 and 46519894

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/...OEN%2046519893

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/...OEN%2046519894
Just re-read my message. wasnt clear at all! - sorry!

The abs sensors i was referring to. - seems difficult to get the rear left on Autodoc. I may have to use Eurocar parts.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Hulk83; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:35.
Hulk83 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
semper in merda
 
widemouthfrog's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deepest darkest Wiltshire
Posts: 1,995
Thanks: 154
Trader Rating: 0
widemouthfrog has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Car Failed MOT and needs parts

Do you know if it's the round, or square plug type that you're after?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

widemouthfrog is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 51
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Car Failed MOT and needs parts

Quote Originally Posted by widemouthfrog View Post
Do you know if it's the round, or square plug type that you're after?
Not sure. Car is at the garage atm.

All I know from calling Fiat garage is that the parts are

51705197 - Rear left

51705198 - Rear right.

Car is 1.9 diesel 2006

Any help would be much appreciated.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Hulk83 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
semper in merda
 
widemouthfrog's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deepest darkest Wiltshire
Posts: 1,995
Thanks: 154
Trader Rating: 0
widemouthfrog has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Car Failed MOT and needs parts

OK. I'm digging around on ePER having a look atm. I can never remember which section the ABS wiring is in. Don't think it's Brakes......

If they haven't already removed everything from the car, it would be worth asking your garage to lift the carpet next to the internal plastic sill trim, for the rear doors, and check which plug type is actually on the car. There is a white connector that they'll have to pull apart to remove the back axle (and the sensors). From memory, the earlier cars have a round plug and later ones are square/rectangular in end shape. I would think yours is the latter, but it would be worth checking. The 5170xxxx part numbers you've listed suggest they are the square ones - earlier part numbers for the Multipla are usually 46xxxxxx
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

widemouthfrog is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 51
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Car Failed MOT and needs parts

Quote Originally Posted by widemouthfrog View Post
OK. I'm digging around on ePER having a look atm. I can never remember which section the ABS wiring is in. Don't think it's Brakes......

If they haven't already removed everything from the car, it would be worth asking your garage to lift the carpet next to the internal plastic sill trim, for the rear doors, and check which plug type is actually on the car. There is a white connector that they'll have to pull apart to remove the back axle (and the sensors). From memory, the earlier cars have a round plug and later ones are square/rectangular in end shape. I would think yours is the latter, but it would be worth checking. The 5170xxxx part numbers you've listed suggest they are the square ones - earlier part numbers for the Multipla are usually 46xxxxxx
Appreciate your help with this. - just called the garage to take a look for me so will let you know the outcome. Do you normally buy your parts from Autodoc?

Got some parts today but awaiting swings arm. Be nice to finally get this car back on the road for hols after the big overhaul.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Hulk83 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
semper in merda
 
widemouthfrog's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deepest darkest Wiltshire
Posts: 1,995
Thanks: 154
Trader Rating: 0
widemouthfrog has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Car Failed MOT and needs parts

If I'm not in a hurry I'll often buy from Autodoc. It means planning ahead and giving yourself enough time to get the parts in. They are always slow in delivering. However, their prices are excellent and the sheer range of supplier choice they offer makes EuroCarParts look like a car boot seller. I very rarely buy from ECP now. That may change come October 31st.....

There are some sellers on ebay coming up with the 5170xxx part numbers. However, reading their descriptions in detail, some are showing both the old (468xxxx) part numbers and the new (5170xxx) as compatible. I know from personal experience that they are not! Tread carefully.

The picture at the bottom of this listing (with a natty little turntable video):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Rig...EAAOSwZA1aZy8g

Unfortunately the seller is away atm so you can't ask them questions. The video shows the later-type end plug. It's the black obround thing at the bottom of the picture before the video starts. That is the plug that's under the carpet. On earlier cars, that plug is white, hard plastic and round in cross section. They are easy to tell apart.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

widemouthfrog is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 51
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Car Failed MOT and needs parts

Quote Originally Posted by widemouthfrog View Post
If I'm not in a hurry I'll often buy from Autodoc. It means planning ahead and giving yourself enough time to get the parts in. They are always slow in delivering. However, their prices are excellent and the sheer range of supplier choice they offer makes EuroCarParts look like a car boot seller. I very rarely buy from ECP now. That may change come October 31st.....

There are some sellers on ebay coming up with the 5170xxx part numbers. However, reading their descriptions in detail, some are showing both the old (468xxxx) part numbers and the new (5170xxx) as compatible. I know from personal experience that they are not! Tread carefully.

The picture at the bottom of this listing (with a natty little turntable video):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Rig...EAAOSwZA1aZy8g

Unfortunately the seller is away atm so you can't ask them questions. The video shows the later-type end plug. It's the black obround thing at the bottom of the picture before the video starts. That is the plug that's under the carpet. On earlier cars, that plug is white, hard plastic and round in cross section. They are easy to tell apart.
Yeah I agree Autodoc is slow but cant grumble with the prices. Looked on ebay and their prices are ok but like you say best to tread carefully.

DAM motors advised they had them in stock but not sure I want used as better to have new really. - He is a good bloke mind you as put new clutch and gearbox in mine.

ECP are may use as they have 35% off at mo which helps bring price down.

Spent a fair whack on this car but it is very unique and dont see many about plus they have a niche in market. - Only other six seater is the Honda FRV
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Hulk83 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Help car failed MOT on front subframe PuntoRich Punto (Mk2/2b) 23 24-02-2015 12:37
(G) Car Failed MOT messybadger Punto (Mk2/2b) 6 13-02-2012 19:19
(G) Failed MOT, failed suspension strut Scorg Bravo / Brava 10 04-08-2006 09:13
my car failed mot beau Lets Talk FIAT 8 12-01-2005 22:53