Register Login
im Axle Specialists
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2014   #1
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Middlesbrough
Posts: 506
Thanks: 17
Trader Rating: 0
kyle96 has donated!
United Kingdom 
2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

After telling myself I was not going to get another Fiat I went and got an orange mjet with 57k on the clock, in perfect condition too!

So far, I've only transferred over my TH window deflectors, I've got a few plans so far though:

-Rear 3 windows tinted professionally.
-Alloys refurbished in anthracite. (the stock alloys are too good to replace!)
-Paint the calipers orange, will look nice with 4 calipers and not just 2
-baseless grille, black or anthracite vinyl behind the number plate as usual
-new head unit and use the sub from my old car, edge 2 x 12 inch

Then that's it for looks I think, after that I want to look at some performance mods.

-speaking with gsr to have an induction kit made for it, mainly for turbo noise but maybe some better pick up when the car is mapped.
-forge fmic for the tjet, maybe spray an orange forge logo onto it too.
-double decat, midbox and backbox removed, for a nice noise.
-egr delete.
-then a minor service before a remap which I plan to get done at West Yorkshire tuning, great lad that does a good job.

Any ideas or suggestions on what I should do please mention

Click image for larger version

Name:	1404822864609.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	140076
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404822886441.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	140077
Likes RowingLad87 liked this post
__________________
^First car
Currently own an orange 1.9 mjet sporting
kyle96 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-07-2014   #2
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St Neots
Posts: 1,596
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 2
Modette has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

I love that colour In regard to painting the callipers, my sons wants to do mine and I am wary of letting him loose on them. What is the best (safest) was to go about that?
Likes kyle96 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Modette is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-07-2014   #3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Middlesbrough
Posts: 506
Thanks: 17
Trader Rating: 0
kyle96 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Post Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Modette View Post
I love that colour In regard to painting the callipers, my sons wants to do mine and I am wary of letting him loose on them. What is the best (safest) was to go about that?
Thankyou! And well this is the way I do it, safest way to do it at home but I'm sure there are places that could do it for you

Slacken the wheel nuts,jack each corner up 1 at a time when you do each caliper, put an axle stand under there too.
Take the wheel off, using 'brake & clutch cleaner' spray the caliper and use a wire brush to scrub it as clean as you possibly can, then rinse off with more brake&clutch cleaner, and put news paper around the caliper try slot it under if you can, to protect as much of the disk and brake lines as you can.
It's better to use the tin of caliper paint (from halfords they have a good choice of colours, tbh I wish I had done my orange now!) I like to use a medium brush and a fine brush to get to the more delicate places while avoiding the brake disk and brake pads, paint it, can do a 2nd coat if you like but 1 should be fine.
Only needs about 2 hours to dry then should be fine, don't forget to torque the wheel nuts properly with a torque wrench if you have one, the setting for a grande punto is 120nm.

It's an easy but slightly tedious job taking each wheel off and doing it, I'm assuming he has 4 calipers, if he has drum brakes on the back then it's a lot different for the back drums if he wants to do them too
Likes Modette liked this post
__________________
^First car
Currently own an orange 1.9 mjet sporting
kyle96 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-07-2014   #4
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Middlesbrough
Posts: 506
Thanks: 17
Trader Rating: 0
kyle96 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

Painted all 4 calipers today, decided to go with blue as it goes well with the orange, however they don't stand out that much, might paint them orange in the future but for now blue will do




__________________
^First car
Currently own an orange 1.9 mjet sporting
kyle96 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-07-2014   #5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,715
Thanks: 30
Trader Rating: 0
Mjet220 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

Why didnt you get a tjet, this will only break
Likes rayrayli88 liked this post
Dislikes BenNWuk, Reuuk disliked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mjet220 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-07-2014   #6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,715
Thanks: 30
Trader Rating: 0
Mjet220 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

And the only place to go in yorkshire for tuning is RS
Likes SJB1985 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mjet220 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-07-2014   #7
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St Neots
Posts: 1,596
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 2
Modette has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

Quote Originally Posted by kyle96 View Post
Thankyou! And well this is the way I do it, safest way to do it at home but I'm sure there are places that could do it for you

Slacken the wheel nuts,jack each corner up 1 at a time when you do each caliper, put an axle stand under there too.
Take the wheel off, using 'brake & clutch cleaner' spray the caliper and use a wire brush to scrub it as clean as you possibly can, then rinse off with more brake&clutch cleaner, and put news paper around the caliper try slot it under if you can, to protect as much of the disk and brake lines as you can.
It's better to use the tin of caliper paint (from halfords they have a good choice of colours, tbh I wish I had done my orange now!) I like to use a medium brush and a fine brush to get to the more delicate places while avoiding the brake disk and brake pads, paint it, can do a 2nd coat if you like but 1 should be fine.
Only needs about 2 hours to dry then should be fine, don't forget to torque the wheel nuts properly with a torque wrench if you have one, the setting for a grande punto is 120nm.

It's an easy but slightly tedious job taking each wheel off and doing it, I'm assuming he has 4 calipers, if he has drum brakes on the back then it's a lot different for the back drums if he wants to do them too
Thanks for that, I was worried that it required removing them and that was my concern.

The car is mine its a 1.9 M-Jet Sporting, but my son wants to get one, and has been looking at orange ones, what colour is the interior on yours? Mine is completely black but I have seen some that have different colours on the risen bumps on the seats that look good.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Modette; 09-07-2014 at 10:07.
Modette is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-07-2014   #8
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Middlesbrough
Posts: 506
Thanks: 17
Trader Rating: 0
kyle96 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Modette View Post
Thanks for that, I was worried that it required removing them and that was my concern.

The car is mine its a 1.9 M-Jet, but my son wants to get one, and has been looking at orange ones, what colour is the interior on yours? Mine is completely black but I have seen some that have different colours on the risen bumps on the seats that look good.
You could remove them and do a better job, but can do a sufficient job with them left on as I've always done. And mines pretty much black too apart from a new steering wheel with orange stitching, I've seen some of the orange cars with an orange interior before!
Likes Modette liked this post
__________________
^First car
Currently own an orange 1.9 mjet sporting
kyle96 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-07-2014   #9
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Middlesbrough
Posts: 506
Thanks: 17
Trader Rating: 0
kyle96 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mjet220 View Post
Why didnt you get a tjet, this will only break
There's a place called West Yorkshire tuning that I like. And I got an mjet because there was such a good one for sale, I fancied driving a diesel, mjet is easier to tune, tjets turbo is pretty much at its limit,
Keep it well maintained and there should be few problems if any

Oh and for some reason insurance is really cheap for an mjet, tjet costs a lot more for me
Likes BenNWuk liked this post
__________________
^First car
Currently own an orange 1.9 mjet sporting
kyle96 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-07-2014   #10
Grande Punto Fanatic
 
SJB1985's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tyne & Wear
Posts: 3,291
Thanks: 148
Trader Rating: 0
SJB1985 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

Quote Originally Posted by kyle96 View Post
There's a place called West Yorkshire tuning that I like. And I got an mjet because there was such a good one for sale, I fancied driving a diesel, mjet is easier to tune, tjets turbo is pretty much at its limit,
Keep it well maintained and there should be few problems if any

Oh and for some reason insurance is really cheap for an mjet, tjet costs a lot more for me

I appreciate all that's been said mate but knowing Mick, @Mjet220 and know of the amount of problem he has had and others, I really would have had to think twice, having said that, lovely looking car I hope you are happy with it and I hope you are one of the lucky ones along with @Reuuk who hasn't encountered a wrath of problems.


On a side note @kyle96 don't break this one! (LOL)


Regards
Stephen
Likes Reuuk liked this post
__________________

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

Instagram: 1985SJB
SJB1985 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-07-2014   #11
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Middlesbrough
Posts: 506
Thanks: 17
Trader Rating: 0
kyle96 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

Quote Originally Posted by SJB1985 View Post
I appreciate all that's been said mate but knowing Mick, @Mjet220 and know of the amount of problem he has had and others, I really would have had to think twice, having said that, lovely looking car I hope you are happy with it and I hope you are one of the lucky ones along with @Reuuk who hasn't encountered a wrath of problems.


On a side note @kyle96 don't break this one! (LOL)


Regards
Stephen
Hahah I've learnt from my 1st car mate, no more bodge jobs or anything like that on this car, also the service history for this car is top notch, pretty much everything has been replaced on it that would need replacing at a higher milage, tbh every car can have it's problems and my 1.2 threw up just as many problems as I've seen with the mjets, even the engine supports are stating to go on it and it's only got 47k miles!
Thanks for the comments though
__________________
^First car
Currently own an orange 1.9 mjet sporting
kyle96 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-07-2014   #12
Anti-lag ftw!
 
Reuuk's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: cheshire
Posts: 3,716
Thanks: 120
Trader Rating: 1
Reuuk is part of the official FF Events Team :)
Reuuk has donated!
Babe Jump Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion, Space Explorer Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

Can I ask where you purchased this from? I recognise the plate!


1.9's are very reliable and great fun, I have mine for two years and I still like it with the odd modification like the FMIC, currently wanting a change though.
__________________
follow me on Instagram: @reuuk
Mini Cooper S & Abarth 500

Last edited by Reuuk; 09-07-2014 at 14:53.
Reuuk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-07-2014   #13
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,715
Thanks: 30
Trader Rating: 0
Mjet220 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

I wish you the best also rue's hasnt skipped a beat so hopefully you have a good one, for a 2nd car its great and i agree with insurance was low group when i owned 1.

On the tuning note i havent heard about them so cant comment, tip for anyone look at the whp not the estimated fly power can tweak this as you please, expect anywhere between 10-25% transmission losses much more there blagging your power
Likes kyle96 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mjet220 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-07-2014   #14
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Middlesbrough
Posts: 506
Thanks: 17
Trader Rating: 0
kyle96 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Reuuk View Post
Can I ask where you purchased this from? I recognise the plate!


1.9's are very reliable and great fun, I have mine for two years and I still like it with the odd modification like the FMIC, currently wanting a change though.
Purchased it from a very nice chap called Stephen I think, have a look at the grande puntos for sale on this forum I think the listing is still there! It's in perfect condition apart from an eml coming on but I got it checked at the garage and apparently it's nothing.
Aye I have some good mods planned such as the fmic, did it make a decent different for you?




Quote Originally Posted by Mjet220 View Post
I wish you the best also rue's hasnt skipped a beat so hopefully you have a good one, for a 2nd car its great and i agree with insurance was low group when i owned 1.
Thankyou! I think I have a good one tbh
__________________
^First car
Currently own an orange 1.9 mjet sporting
kyle96 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-07-2014   #15
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,715
Thanks: 30
Trader Rating: 0
Mjet220 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2nd car, 1.9 mjet sporting in orange ;)

A good one with the eml on lol jokes mate
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mjet220 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grande Punto 1.9 MJet Sporting in Orange silverzx Newbie Central 4 21-03-2014 21:14
Grande Punto Jamie's Orange MJet eimaj Members Motors 126 18-07-2012 21:55
Grande Punto Orange stickered MJET Sporting (Vinyled Grill) WK07 *** MrBoney Spotted / Was It You? 0 10-06-2010 15:12
(S) First Fiat on the way - 1.9 mjet sporting (Orange) angeline1988 Grande Punto 24 14-05-2010 11:29