Register Login
endrop - for all your online needs
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2006   #1
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

hey guys, Im a newb here...


so happy to have found a fiat community. I recently purchased a fiat 132s 1800 and i like very much! is nice!

Ive heard that the old fiats rust a lot coz the Italians built a car plant for the USSR and they gave em a whole heap of crappy steele...is this true?

also, has anyone here owned a fiat 132s? is there anything i should know about them? Ive had so many troubles so far, I need to go register it and it's not roadworthy; had troubles with rust, engine smoking, electrics and it has no mirrors or visors... i took her for a spin and she flies though! love teh twin cams.

anyway, I just want to rest easy knowing there is a Fiat 132s thread up on teh net.

will add pics soon.

peace.
__________________
wow wow weee waah!
Persica is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-01-2006   #2
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Llanymynech
Posts: 11,903
Thanks: 35
Trader Rating: 0
sammiboo has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

Hi there,

I dont know anything about that car TBH i am sure there are plenty of people that do Welcome to the forum anyway and I look forward to seeing some pics
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sammiboo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-01-2006   #3
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: sunny Spain
Posts: 1,768
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
Cocoon Island Champion, Cupids Crush Champion, Crazy Pinball Champion, Pinball 7UP Champion, Rotamania Champion, Starsky n Hutch PinBall Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

Quote Originally Posted by Persica
hey guys, Im a newb here...


so happy to have found a fiat community. I recently purchased a fiat 132s 1800 and i like very much! is nice!

Ive heard that the old fiats rust a lot coz the Italians built a car plant for the USSR and they gave em a whole heap of crappy steele...is this true?

also, has anyone here owned a fiat 132s? is there anything i should know about them? Ive had so many troubles so far, I need to go register it and it's not roadworthy; had troubles with rust, engine smoking, electrics and it has no mirrors or visors... i took her for a spin and she flies though! love teh twin cams.

anyway, I just want to rest easy knowing there is a Fiat 132s thread up on teh net.

will add pics soon.

peace.
yes, ive owned a 132 ! worked on plenty too.
the steel story is true. they used "black metal" which is recycled metal pressed together. they also imported it from australia[ who supplied the japs]. the waferering of the metal would start to turn back into ferous oxide causing chunks to fall off cars.
the engines are pretty much bom proof as long as proper servicing has been done. i would change the cam belt and tensioner as soon as possible. the smoking could be hardened valve seals, valve guides or rings. if you change the belt, take the head off and check it out.
the rust issue is uncertain. they can and will rust everywhere. i would take the capet out and check all the floor and if the sills a good, waxoyl everywhere especially the box sections.
the electrics are typical 1970's italian car. will mostly be poor earthing and broken brittle wires. lights will be the main problem but are easy to fix.
enjoy the car. they are fast. infact, they were quicker then the later 2000 models.
to moderators. maybe this should move to other fiat section?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sumplug is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-01-2006   #4
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

Quote Originally Posted by sumplug
yes, ive owned a 132 ! worked on plenty too.
the steel story is true. they used "black metal" which is recycled metal pressed together. they also imported it from australia[ who supplied the japs]. the waferering of the metal would start to turn back into ferous oxide causing chunks to fall off cars.
the engines are pretty much bom proof as long as proper servicing has been done. i would change the cam belt and tensioner as soon as possible. the smoking could be hardened valve seals, valve guides or rings. if you change the belt, take the head off and check it out.
the rust issue is uncertain. they can and will rust everywhere. i would take the capet out and check all the floor and if the sills a good, waxoyl everywhere especially the box sections.
the electrics are typical 1970's italian car. will mostly be poor earthing and broken brittle wires. lights will be the main problem but are easy to fix.
enjoy the car. they are fast. infact, they were quicker then the later 2000 models.
to moderators. maybe this should move to other fiat section?

Thanks for the feedback guys, i'm so excited as I have no idea what waxoyl is, possibly coz of 2 reasons, A) im a newb or B) Im in sydney.

ummm I also hate to mention that even though I have a service book that's printed in the UK on it's way in 2 weeks I have very little Idea what to do with the tensioner, although I have some idea of where it is...Im assuming the main wheel of where the drive belt runs?

2nd Question is:
if I open the head...is it easy to put back on? as far as an ignorant car user goes; I have no idea how to open the head properly and I heard (I think, I tend to dream things up) that heads must be tightened at a certain tension and cannot be done by the average tom dick n harry.

if you could answer these i'd be really gratefull.

Ive also been advised that with 70's italian electrics; it's a necessity to carry 'round 1200 grit sand paper. esp if u keep the original clay fuses. (which mine has)
__________________
wow wow weee waah!
Persica is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-01-2006   #5
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: sunny Spain
Posts: 1,768
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
Cocoon Island Champion, Cupids Crush Champion, Crazy Pinball Champion, Pinball 7UP Champion, Rotamania Champion, Starsky n Hutch PinBall Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

Quote Originally Posted by Persica

Thanks for the feedback guys, i'm so excited as I have no idea what waxoyl is, possibly coz of 2 reasons, A) im a newb or B) Im in sydney.

ummm I also hate to mention that even though I have a service book that's printed in the UK on it's way in 2 weeks I have very little Idea what to do with the tensioner, although I have some idea of where it is...Im assuming the main wheel of where the drive belt runs?

2nd Question is:
if I open the head...is it easy to put back on? as far as an ignorant car user goes; I have no idea how to open the head properly and I heard (I think, I tend to dream things up) that heads must be tightened at a certain tension and cannot be done by the average tom dick n harry.

if you could answer these i'd be really gratefull.

Ive also been advised that with 70's italian electrics; it's a necessity to carry 'round 1200 grit sand paper. esp if u keep the original clay fuses. (which mine has)
waxoyl is a thick rust protector/neutroliser that you spray in to the cavities. proberly not reqiured in australia, but would use some form of anti rust anyway.
the tensioner is the small pulley that tensions the cam belt. you will see it when you remove the yellow cam belt cover.
the head is easy to remove and put back. on re-fitting, as long as you torque the head down in the right sequence and right torque[ref to manual], no real problem. use the later ritmo/ beta volumex head gasket.
anything else, just ask. i will try and answer your questions. btw, is the service manual by haynes?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sumplug is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-01-2006   #6
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

thanks a lot!

I'll have plenty of questions in time. don't you worry. the manual Ive ordered is an oldy. VERY old. but I will be getting a haynes one too.

thanks a lot for the advice. Im not sure if I'd be able to find the head kit u described coz a lot of stuff out here from the auto shops such as repco, auto barn etc are generic.

thanks again. will post soon.

as for the rust, its RUSTY and Ive sprayed the hell out of it with silicone spray and then will try to get something that lasts longer.


peace.
__________________
wow wow weee waah!
Persica is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-01-2006   #7
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: sunny Spain
Posts: 1,768
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
Cocoon Island Champion, Cupids Crush Champion, Crazy Pinball Champion, Pinball 7UP Champion, Rotamania Champion, Starsky n Hutch PinBall Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

Quote Originally Posted by Persica
thanks a lot!

I'll have plenty of questions in time. don't you worry. the manual Ive ordered is an oldy. VERY old. but I will be getting a haynes one too.

thanks a lot for the advice. Im not sure if I'd be able to find the head kit u described coz a lot of stuff out here from the auto shops such as repco, auto barn etc are generic.

thanks again. will post soon.

as for the rust, its RUSTY and Ive sprayed the hell out of it with silicone spray and then will try to get something that lasts longer.


peace.
for the head gasket, ask for a fiat ritmo 130 abarth asadur gasket[standard item] or lancia beta volumex gasket[standard]. they are inpregnated with a polymer which sets with heat to give a cast iron seal. good luck.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sumplug is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-01-2006   #8
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

thanks, will let you know around next monthish.

I just have one question, after staring at the electrical diagram, looking all over the user's manual I cannot find the bloody hazard...any ideas? there is a light for it in between the oil and water temp gauge, but I cannot find any way to put on the hazards...

thanks a lot for your help(s)

I am 2 days away from the Fiat on the road!!! YAY!!!
__________________
wow wow weee waah!
Persica is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-01-2006   #9
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: sunny Spain
Posts: 1,768
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
Cocoon Island Champion, Cupids Crush Champion, Crazy Pinball Champion, Pinball 7UP Champion, Rotamania Champion, Starsky n Hutch PinBall Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

Quote Originally Posted by Persica
thanks, will let you know around next monthish.

I just have one question, after staring at the electrical diagram, looking all over the user's manual I cannot find the bloody hazard...any ideas? there is a light for it in between the oil and water temp gauge, but I cannot find any way to put on the hazards...

thanks a lot for your help(s)

I am 2 days away from the Fiat on the road!!! YAY!!!
there was no hazard switch fitted to the 1800 models. only later 2000 models! you could wire one in using a relay and dash light.
2 days to go! nice one. good luck, and enjoy
PS;- I bet its hot in sydney at the moment!!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sumplug is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-01-2006   #10
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

it is raining today, and has been the last few days, its really good because there was bushfires up north a little while ago, but it is stinking hot out here, if any of you head down give me a buzz yeah?

anyway, I put in some stop smoke (thick oil) today to stop it from smoking, it still smokes but less, what ive noticed coz its been raining lately is it blows a lot of misty stuff out the back...is this normal? I cant figure out what's going on.

thanks a lot for your help sum plug.

if this car get's on the road i will go nuts!

I love driving it; except i'm used to my old 240 volvo and that had a great power steering and even better turning circle, alas! i'll get used to the fiat's twin cams of glory instead.

thanks again
__________________
wow wow weee waah!
Persica is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-01-2006   #11
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: sunny Spain
Posts: 1,768
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
Cocoon Island Champion, Cupids Crush Champion, Crazy Pinball Champion, Pinball 7UP Champion, Rotamania Champion, Starsky n Hutch PinBall Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

Quote Originally Posted by Persica
it is raining today, and has been the last few days, its really good because there was bushfires up north a little while ago, but it is stinking hot out here, if any of you head down give me a buzz yeah?

anyway, I put in some stop smoke (thick oil) today to stop it from smoking, it still smokes but less, what ive noticed coz its been raining lately is it blows a lot of misty stuff out the back...is this normal? I cant figure out what's going on.

thanks a lot for your help sum plug.

if this car get's on the road i will go nuts!

I love driving it; except i'm used to my old 240 volvo and that had a great power steering and even better turning circle, alas! i'll get used to the fiat's twin cams of glory instead.

thanks again
the infamous poor turning circle of twincam fiats
misty stuff is possibly condensation. it should clear when you rev it a bit, then return when it idles. if it is very white looking and constant, then that shows headgasket blowing. check dipstick for water droplets and radiator for oil. i think either the valve stem seals have hardened[not uncommon on twincams] or the valve guides are worn or both. see how it runs after a good blast at speed.
btw, ive got family in bundaburg, 45 mins north of Brisbane on the south tip of the Great Barrier Reef. actual town is Baggara. always warm to hot with hardly any rainfall. paradise!!
hopefully going out to aussie in dec for several weeks. you never know, might drop in on you in sydney. you can give me a tour of the place
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sumplug is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-01-2006   #12
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: sunny Spain
Posts: 1,768
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
Cocoon Island Champion, Cupids Crush Champion, Crazy Pinball Champion, Pinball 7UP Champion, Rotamania Champion, Starsky n Hutch PinBall Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

btw, any photos of the car?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sumplug is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-01-2006   #13
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

photos coming soon, it looks awful at the moment... I'm gonna paint her soon.

what colour makes it go faster? red only works for sport cars


will be glad to give you a tour
__________________
wow wow weee waah!

Last edited by Persica; 07-01-2006 at 15:47.
Persica is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-01-2006   #14
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: sunny Spain
Posts: 1,768
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
Cocoon Island Champion, Cupids Crush Champion, Crazy Pinball Champion, Pinball 7UP Champion, Rotamania Champion, Starsky n Hutch PinBall Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

Quote Originally Posted by Persica
photos coming soon, it looks awful at the moment... I'm gonna paint her soon.

what colour makes it go faster? red only works for sport cars


will be glad to give you a tour
i always like 132's in silver or light met blue. flat colours dont suit it.
if the visit to family go's ahead, i will take you up on that. ive always wanted to see sydney.
according to websites, there is a thriving fiat club scene in aussie. plenty of classics around[ good climate]. 124 sport my favorite
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sumplug is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-01-2006   #15
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: The Fiat 132s 1800 Thread!!! YAY!:slayer:

fotos of her when i bought it.

rusty as hell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiat.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	10457   Click image for larger version

Name:	fiat2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	10458  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fiat3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	10459   Click image for larger version

Name:	fiat4.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	10460  

__________________
wow wow weee waah!
Persica is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manchester, B'burn, Keighley & Shef Fiat Garages boywonder Garages 5 05-08-2005 10:52
How many Fiat?... roby76it Leisure Lounge 14 20-11-2003 20:31
Autumn Fiat Day Dillinger Events 0 12-09-2003 17:46
Historical Fiat success in C.I.R. rally roby76it Lets Talk FIAT 3 31-03-2003 13:24