Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2017   #1
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Best Automatic Fiat‽

So Iím wondering whatís the best automatic Fiat? I have to drive automatic due to having arthritis in my left ankle (despite being only 20) and Iím going to be driving again soon.

At the moment, me and the wife (whoís getting a 100hp Panda for herself) think I should get an Abarth 595 with flappy paddle, but Iíve heard they arenít so good to be honest (the gearbox that is) and theyíre quite pricey, so to recap...

Fiat or Abarth Ofcourse
Any year
Any price realistically
Insurance group 30u preferably due to my age
If Car is old, as reliable as possible

Letís see if thereís anything creative or different out there!

Tusen takk!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by JohannesAudvardYngvi; 27-09-2017 at 17:28.
JohannesAudvardYngvi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-09-2017   #2
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 122
Thanks: 7
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Best Automatic Fiat‽

I have a grande Punto with Dualogic box and have had others too. The Dualogic box is great while it works but it is quite liable to expensive faults. I also have a Twingo with a twin clutch auto box . That's excellent for quick changes but can't be overridden when in 'auto'. I'm looking forward to the day when a twin clutch auto Panda is made with paddle override. I'll be the first to order one.
Likes JohannesAudvardYngvi liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

DavyP is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-09-2017   #3
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Best Automatic Fiat‽

Quote Originally Posted by DavyP View Post
I have a grande Punto with Dualogic box and have had others too. The Dualogic box is great while it works but it is quite liable to expensive faults. I also have a Twingo with a twin clutch auto box . That's excellent for quick changes but can't be overridden when in 'auto'. I'm looking forward to the day when a twin clutch auto Panda is made with paddle override. I'll be the first to order one.


My perfect car would be akin to a 100hp Auto panda as you described there, this thread is made with the decision to not butcher a 100hp and force it to be an auto but yeah Iíve been looking at Grande Puntos a lot, my first car was a facelift Punto 04 plate
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

JohannesAudvardYngvi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-09-2017   #4
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 8,162
Thanks: 353
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Best Automatic Fiat‽

What sort of budget are you looking at? There is going to be a huge difference in price between an Abarth with a MTA box or an grande punto with a duologic thatís not been made since about 2010 so cars are old and relatively cheap.

On the other hand there are likely to be better Auto gear boxes from other manufacturers (Japanese are experts in auto boxes) also where 100hp is a relatively high power output for a fiat, but you can buy plenty of 100+ hp jap cars with auto gearboxes.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

AndyRKett is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-09-2017   #5
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Best Automatic Fiat‽

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
What sort of budget are you looking at? There is going to be a huge difference in price between an Abarth with a MTA box or an grande punto with a duologic thatís not been made since about 2010 so cars are old and relatively cheap.



On the other hand there are likely to be better Auto gear boxes from other manufacturers (Japanese are experts in auto boxes) also where 100hp is a relatively high power output for a fiat, but you can buy plenty of 100+ hp jap cars with auto gearboxes.


Aye I agree, however at the moment Iím browsing, and asking whatís the best fiat automatic, as in either the best car thatís automatic by fiat or the beast automatic gearbox that fiat has made, I like Jap cars too, but without tying to sound like a bellend I wouldnít ask in a Fiat forum if I wanted a Jap not trying be a dick though, realise nŚ how bad that sounds
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by JohannesAudvardYngvi; 27-09-2017 at 21:47.
JohannesAudvardYngvi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-09-2017   #6
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 253
Thanks: 8
Trader Rating: 0
France 
Re: Best Automatic Fiat‽

Leftfield suggestion - Alfa 156 Selespeed?

Older car, but has the advantage of being well understood by the community, if you prefer to do things yourself.

Could get a nice one for your budget and still have lots of change.


Tipo Due platform based (with lots of modifications), Pratola Serra engine block with Alfa head (or a lovely V6), so it's part of the large Tipo family, Selespeed box is the grandfather of the Dualogic, can be troublesome, but there are people out there who know them inside out.
Likes JohannesAudvardYngvi, AndyRKett liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Steve145; 28-09-2017 at 06:05.
Steve145 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-09-2017   #7
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 8,162
Thanks: 353
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by JohannesAudvardYngvi View Post
Aye I agree, however at the moment Iím browsing, and asking whatís the best fiat automatic, as in either the best car thatís automatic by fiat or the beast automatic gearbox that fiat has made, I like Jap cars too, but without tying to sound like a bellend I wouldnít ask in a Fiat forum if I wanted a Jap not trying be a dick though, realise nŚ how bad that sounds
If youíre just browsing with no real intention to buy anything then it becomes a case of top trumps, (this car has more power than that car) however if youíre looking to buy something then budget it going to be the major factor, if youíre only looking to spend a couple of grand then the Abarth is irrelevant, but the reliability of the gearbox is going to be much more importantĒ if you can afford an Abarth 500 £10kish then the reliabilty is still important as youíll be buying an older car with several years of abuse on the clock.

If you have £10k you could probably buy a nearly new fiat 500 with a warranty and then the reliability is not going to be so important as the car will have covered minimal miles and had minimal use.

So the Ďbestí automatic fiat is going to be the newest, with the most recent updates to improve reliability and least amount of use. If you want a fast car then the best to you may well be an Abarth, but an older Abarth may not be the best?

Itís very much a ďhow long is a piece of stringĒ type arguement.

In this case assuming youíre not going to be buying a brand new car, Iíd say the suggestion above is best and look at an Alfa if itís something from the fiat stable youíre set on.

Other than that, Iíd look else where for an auto box, as fiat donít have a great track record in that department. Which is a shame because their manual gearboxes are pretty good.
Likes JohannesAudvardYngvi liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

AndyRKett is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-09-2017   #8
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Best Automatic Fiat‽

Quote Originally Posted by Steve145 View Post
Leftfield suggestion - Alfa 156 Selespeed?

Older car, but has the advantage of being well understood by the community, if you prefer to do things yourself.

Could get a nice one for your budget and still have lots of change.


Tipo Due platform based (with lots of modifications), Pratola Serra engine block with Alfa head (or a lovely V6), so it's part of the large Tipo family, Selespeed box is the grandfather of the Dualogic, can be troublesome, but there are people out there who know them inside out.


Ya know I was actually looking at them, purely because my day loves them as he had one and can help me when it inevitably goes wrong
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

JohannesAudvardYngvi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-09-2017   #9
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Best Automatic Fiat‽

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
If youíre just browsing with no real intention to buy anything then it becomes a case of top trumps, (this car has more power than that car) however if youíre looking to buy something then budget it going to be the major factor, if youíre only looking to spend a couple of grand then the Abarth is irrelevant, but the reliability of the gearbox is going to be much more importantĒ if you can afford an Abarth 500 £10kish then the reliabilty is still important as youíll be buying an older car with several years of abuse on the clock.



If you have £10k you could probably buy a nearly new fiat 500 with a warranty and then the reliability is not going to be so important as the car will have covered minimal miles and had minimal use.



So the Ďbestí automatic fiat is going to be the newest, with the most recent updates to improve reliability and least amount of use. If you want a fast car then the best to you may well be an Abarth, but an older Abarth may not be the best?



Itís very much a ďhow long is a piece of stringĒ type arguement.



In this case assuming youíre not going to be buying a brand new car, Iíd say the suggestion above is best and look at an Alfa if itís something from the fiat stable youíre set on.



Other than that, Iíd look else where for an auto box, as fiat donít have a great track record in that department. Which is a shame because their manual gearboxes are pretty good.


Perfect reply, indeed thatís exactly the dilemma yeah, it is indeed a toss up between new fiat or used abarth or maybe an Alfa but the reliability does scare me on those

Also as you said because of going Auto that adds more worry onto the thin layer of ice thats the reliability card
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

JohannesAudvardYngvi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-10-2017   #10
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Best Automatic Fiat‽

The Alfa TCT gearbox is the best twin clutch gearbox on the market. It's fitted to the MiTo and the Giulietta. In the Fiat range you'll also find it in the 500x and 500L and new Tipo.

Avoid any 'automated' manuals with a single clutch. A good explanation here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-c...n_Technologies
Likes JohannesAudvardYngvi liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

OldEngineer is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-10-2017   #11
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Best Automatic Fiat‽

Quote Originally Posted by OldEngineer View Post
The Alfa TCT gearbox is the best twin clutch gearbox on the market. It's fitted to the MiTo and the Giulietta. In the Fiat range you'll also find it in the 500x and 500L and new Tipo.



Avoid any 'automated' manuals with a single clutch. A good explanation here...



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-c...n_Technologies


Ah yes I forgot about the MiTO! Theyíre great little cars, and yeah? I wouldnít know to be honest, so try and get something with twin clutch?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

JohannesAudvardYngvi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-10-2017   #12
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Best Automatic Fiat‽

Yes. Single clutches lead to hesitant progress. And the Alfa TCT was modified about 3 years ago to introduce a 'creep' function to mimic traditional auto gearboxes which makes parking so much easier.

Non creep and single clutch gearboxes have to use the throttle far too much when parking and just jerk into the spaces.
Likes JohannesAudvardYngvi liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

OldEngineer is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-10-2017   #13
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Best Automatic Fiat‽

Quote Originally Posted by OldEngineer View Post
Yes. Single clutches lead to hesitant progress. And the Alfa TCT was modified about 3 years ago to introduce a 'creep' function to mimic traditional auto gearboxes which makes parking so much easier.



Non creep and single clutch gearboxes have to use the throttle far too much when parking and just jerk into the spaces.


Interesting stuff, Thank you! Iíve never been in an Auto that doesnít ďcreepĒ and Iíd imagine being in one that didnít would be awful to park
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

JohannesAudvardYngvi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-10-2017   #14
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 24
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Best Automatic Fiat‽

Hi I have a 500X 2.0 Auto 4x4 which until recently I would have recommended. The gearbox is 9 speed ZF box I think and is pretty smooth. Mine is 9 months old but has a really annoying clunk from the drivetrain that Fiat are now saying is normal despite having replaced lots of parts and had about 7 attempts to fix so their record on honoring my warranty is not good. I have several other automatic cars and have had many over the years so my advice is buy a BMW Mini automatic. The mini has, in my opinion, the best auto box I have ever driven in a small car. If you can afford the insurance get a Cooper or Cooper S. Sorry to the Fiat fans but Fiat have annoyed me so much I would never recommend a Fiat to anyone again. I used to have a 14 plate Panda 4x4 which was brilliant but if Fiat won't honor a warranty then why deal with Fiat.
Likes AndyRKett, JohannesAudvardYngvi liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Barry G is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-10-2017   #15
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Best Automatic Fiat‽

Quote Originally Posted by Barry G View Post
Hi I have a 500X 2.0 Auto 4x4 which until recently I would have recommended. The gearbox is 9 speed ZF box I think and is pretty smooth. Mine is 9 months old but has a really annoying clunk from the drivetrain that Fiat are now saying is normal despite having replaced lots of parts and had about 7 attempts to fix so their record on honoring my warranty is not good. I have several other automatic cars and have had many over the years so my advice is buy a BMW Mini automatic. The mini has, in my opinion, the best auto box I have ever driven in a small car. If you can afford the insurance get a Cooper or Cooper S. Sorry to the Fiat fans but Fiat have annoyed me so much I would never recommend a Fiat to anyone again. I used to have a 14 plate Panda 4x4 which was brilliant but if Fiat won't honor a warranty then why deal with Fiat.


Interesting comment there! And no itís fine I really like Fiat group but Iím no way a fanboy, my favourite cars are Toyota group and VW group so I canít comment on the affiliation to bmw/mini, I love them also sad to hear about them being abit douchy with that, itís the kinda stuff that puts you off a manufacturer
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

JohannesAudvardYngvi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Automatic Fiat 500 fiat500chelt 500 5 30-04-2013 00:10
fiat punto automatic wizard79 Lets Talk FIAT 1 22-12-2009 01:04
(G) Automatic Fiat 500 Charlotte 500 13 29-01-2008 21:16
(G) Fiat Bravav 1.6 Automatic stef69 Bravo / Brava 12 02-07-2006 22:18