Register Login
Lamps by Post - For all your lighting needs
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2017   #1
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 71
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
GP Sporting oil change less than a litre.

So I've just done a third oil drop in a month and half but finally got my old oil filter off. I'm a little concerned at how much oil didn't come out haha, the first two times I did it on a cold engine and then the last on a warm engine both only put out about a pint of oil not even a litre.

I'm just concerned to where the other two litres is, have I got sludge somewhere in my system I did buy engine flush but really don't want to use it. The oil before I dropped it was at the top of the oil dip stick.

I didn't even get a litre out I don't get it and my engine sounds like a diesel. Does sound like my bottom end as the noise is coming from the top. TiA
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

somesickjoke is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-03-2017   #2
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 919
Thanks: 107
Trader Rating: 0
Belgium 
Re: GP Sporting oil change less than a litre.

Hi [First_Name],

how much did you put back in after draining to reach the dip stick top mark ?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Bernievarian is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-03-2017   #3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 71
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by Bernievarian View Post
Hi [First_Name],

how much did you put back in after draining to reach the dip stick top mark ?
About a litre after driving it and letting it settle again.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

somesickjoke is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-03-2017   #4
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 919
Thanks: 107
Trader Rating: 0
Belgium 
Re: GP Sporting oil change less than a litre.

So you're telling us that the complete oil change including oil filter replacement is only one liter and your petrol engine sounds like a diesel from bottom-end but coming from the top !?

This last part is a bit confusing me...
BTW why don't you want to use the engine flush ?

Regards, Bernie
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Bernievarian is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #5
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 71
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by Bernievarian View Post
So you're telling us that the complete oil change including oil filter replacement is only one liter and your petrol engine sounds like a diesel from bottom-end but coming from the top !?

This last part is a bit confusing me...
BTW why don't you want to use the engine flush ?

Regards, Bernie
Yeah the noise was coming from the top, I'm assuming the lifters, but it's gone for now. I'm still concerned at the lack of oil that came out I know some sticks to the engine parts but surely not 2 litres. I've heard bad things about flushes so I'm a little scared. Tia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170319_113137.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	178610  
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

somesickjoke is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 1,420
Thanks: 79
Trader Rating: 0
Romania 
Re: GP Sporting oil change less than a litre.

Please humor me:
A stupid request: tell us how you usually check the oil level. (do not leave anything out).
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

aurick86 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #7
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 71
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: GP Sporting oil change less than a litre.

With the dipstick buddy.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

somesickjoke is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #8
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 919
Thanks: 107
Trader Rating: 0
Belgium 
Re: GP Sporting oil change less than a litre.

Is it you own car from the beginning ?
Could it be that the disptick is a replacement one :-( ?? i.e; longer than the original ...

Rgds, Bernie
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Bernievarian is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #9
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 71
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: GP Sporting oil change less than a litre.

Well when I bought the car the one on it broke off as I pulled it out but luckily got the broken end out and the replacement looked the same and is the same length. I thought maybe it's leaking somewhere but surely if it's leaking the oil wouldn't stay the same on the dipstick.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

somesickjoke is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #10
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 919
Thanks: 107
Trader Rating: 0
Belgium 
Re: GP Sporting oil change less than a litre.

Sounds like the begining of an explanation...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Bernievarian is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #11
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 71
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: GP Sporting oil change less than a litre.

Oh and my tapping noise has come back think I'll send it to the rac garage.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

somesickjoke is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #12
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Faringdon, Oxfordshire UK
Posts: 4,729
Thanks: 377
Trader Rating: 1
portland_bill has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: GP Sporting oil change less than a litre.

A possibility is that prior to your ownership it has been neglected, no oil changes. Over a long time, old oil has turned to sludge, and your sump is mostly full of this. Luckily it does seem to drain through or past it.

Get the sump plug out again.
Poke around inside with a probe, like a bit of wire coat hanger. (Don't lose it inside)
I think you may find black goo.

If so, it will be gumming up all the oilways, restricting the supply to the top end. If you are only using a litre to lubricate the engine, that oil will work hard, and the engine will be wearing rapidly.

If it is that full of goo, it is dead. To properly renovate means sump off and clean out, crank bearings off to inspect, probably need new bearing shells at best, a crank grind or too far gone.
Then head needs to come off to clean out oilways, will probably need a new camshaft and followers, and they might be slack in their holes, so a new head needed.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom, but it is the most likely scenario from your description.

A replacemetn engine from a scrap car seems a good bet. Try to get one from as near identical year as poss, and from a Punto. Panda engine is tuned differently, later engines have more electronic control, etc.

Oh, and if posting any more pics, can you try to get them the right way up please. So much easier to view.
__________________
13 years motor trade, 16 years motor industry. 13 years Driving Instructor & 6 years Fleet Trainer
Panda Alessi

Last edited by portland_bill; 20-03-2017 at 23:34.
portland_bill is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #13
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 71
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by portland_bill View Post
A possibility is that prior to your ownership it has been neglected, no oil changes. Over a long time, old oil has turned to sludge, and your sump is mostly full of this. Luckily it does seem to drain through or past it.

Get the sump plug out again.
Poke around inside with a probe, like a bit of wire coat hanger. (Don't lose it inside)
I think you may find black goo.

If so, it will be gumming up all the oilways, restricting the supply to the top end. If you are only using a litre to lubricate the engine, that oil will work hard, and the engine will be wearing rapidly.

If it is that full of goo, it is dead. To properly renovate means sump off and clean out, crank bearings off to inspect, probably need new bearing shells at best, a crank grind or too far gone.
Then head needs to come off to clean out oilways, will probably need a new camshaft and followers, and they might be slack in their holes, so a new head needed.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom, but it is the most likely scenario from your description.

A replacemetn engine from a scrap car seems a good bet. Try to get one from as near identical year as poss, and from a Punto. Panda engine is tuned differently, later engines have more electronic control, etc.

Oh, and if posting any more pics, can you try to get them the right way up please. So much easier to view.
Well it was definitely neglected however he did but new oil in but no filter it looked to old, the spark plugs were old too even though he said he had changed them.

I'll do this next week and have a look I may order one of them probe cameras haha.

Do you think if it is gummed up a flush will do more harm than good.

I won't comment on the new parts as it is depressing me hahaha.

Anyway on another note if the dips tick is too long and hits the bottom of the sump surely as there is only an inch marker and I'm thinking it's full because it's at the top, in actual fact it isn't full because it isn't reading the level correctly. Does that make sense.

Thanks a lot buddy for the good reply hehe.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

somesickjoke is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-03-2017   #14
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 919
Thanks: 107
Trader Rating: 0
Belgium 
Re: GP Sporting oil change less than a litre.

That's what I said with the dipstick length, don't you read our replies ?? :-(

FIRST: have (borrow) a dipstick from an EXACT SAME engine and compare with your current one. Probably one kind forumer can measure his properly .

THEN: it will be time to decide what to do...

BUT: as Nigel says, your engine is probably already badly dammaged (diesel sound) :-((

Regards, Bernie
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Bernievarian is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-03-2017   #15
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Faringdon, Oxfordshire UK
Posts: 4,729
Thanks: 377
Trader Rating: 1
portland_bill has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: GP Sporting oil change less than a litre.

Quote Originally Posted by somesickjoke View Post
Well it was definitely neglected however he did but new oil in but no filter it looked to old, the spark plugs were old too even though he said he had changed them.
He may well have changed the oil, but how much? This is long-term neglect, so may go back over several owners.
Quote Originally Posted by somesickjoke View Post
Do you think if it is gummed up a flush will do more harm than good.
It is likely well past that. A flush is supposed to remove light deposits, not a wheelbarrowful. It'll just clog the filter in a few hours, leaving the rest more mobile, but with nowhere safe to go.
Quote Originally Posted by somesickjoke View Post
Anyway on another note if the dips tick is too long and hits the bottom of the sump surely as there is only an inch marker and I'm thinking it's full because it's at the top, in actual fact it isn't full because it isn't reading the level correctly. Does that make sense.
Does the dipstick hit the bottom? Or does it sit in its tube properly? Finding another disptick from an identical engine is a good plan, but if different to yours, you then need to be sure which, if either is correct. So choice of comparison is critical. Check sump depth of yours and 'donor'.
The dipstick is never meant to reach the bottom, only needing to measure the top part of the contents. If you can straighten a coat hanger (Wire, not a wooden one), put it all the way down the dipstick hole until it hits the bottom and see what it brings up. Clean or goo? Insufficient oil is either wrong dipstick, or crap in the bottom. Need to start there.
If it has been run with insufficient oil for some time, it will always be noisy, although may be rescuable.
Likes Bernievarian liked this post
__________________
13 years motor trade, 16 years motor industry. 13 years Driving Instructor & 6 years Fleet Trainer
Panda Alessi
portland_bill is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Oil usage - Mobile 1 new life, One litre and no oil on dipstick??? Smartarse84 Stilo 33 29-01-2016 08:34
(G) Ducato oil filter 3 litre errolmorris Ducato 24 23-01-2016 10:52
(T) Just had to put in over half a litre of oil... roadster1_98 500 6 16-11-2008 13:49
Head gasket change 2 litre 20 valve Trev FIAT Boo Archives 2 22-10-2008 20:48
Fiat Cinq sporting (p reg) - Oil Change My wife has a Cinq Sp! Lets Talk FIAT 2 27-03-2005 12:55