Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2017   #16
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Limerick
Posts: 1,644
Thanks: 59
Trader Rating: 0
Ireland 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Just had a quick look, 2 cables €50, shoe set €27, 2 Drums €40 wheel cylinders€50, cheap for everything. I did my Mk1 Cabrio recently, everything new except front calipers for €150 (Just fitted new front caliper seals) These rip off places are desperate. Need a few women to open their own place, bound to do a lot of business especially with female motorists.
Thanks cherrycrush thanked for this post
Likes SB1500, oldhammer liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

digger58 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 22-01-2017   #17
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South East, Berkshire
Posts: 18
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Thank you for your opinions! I went for a quick check today to see whether I really have a problem with the parking brake, and I was told that I need to change my brake shoes as they are around 75% worn (and cost 32 pounds from my local Euro Car Parts), so nothing near the ridiculous amount the first garage told me.

There is another local garage nearby, so will ask them tomorrow how much they will charge me to repair that and for MOT, as they do it there too, and I think that a smaller company which I'll use to do the repairs anyway, if they give me reasonable price, will have less incentive to charge me for more work later.

What's ridiculous is that the first garage wanted to charge me for a shoe (98 pounds only for 1, have no idea why they wanted to change one but not the other) AND 2 drums, so will check the drums and if they're ok and I pass the MOT, will talk to the Trading Standards about them giving me misleading information. On the phone they tried to convince me to change every part in the system, pretending that I'll pass the MOT in that way. Oh, and they gave me a quote from the previous day, dated one minute after my MOT receipt, although they "needed to check it the next day, as nobody knew what the problem was" - such scammers shouldn't be allowed to do any business.

@burrowsdeano - thank you for your kind words and advice! I would love to come to your garage, the problem is that I really have no whole day to spare to travel that far, as I'm working as well and I should get it done by the end of this week, preferably by Wednesday, when my current MOT expires, and I need to renew my tax too. But will keep you in mind for the future, should I need some specific work done.
Likes SB1500 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by cherrycrush; 22-01-2017 at 20:52.
cherrycrush is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 22-01-2017   #18
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 316
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Just to add to the weight of numbers, Cherrycrush, I also feel that's an outrageous price you've been quoted. I maintain my daughter's 1.2 and as others have said, there are very few parts that make up the handbrake system. The self-adjusting mechanism on the back brakes is notorious for packing-up and has to be adjusted manually but most people don't bother and try to adjust on the cable because that's easier. I imagine that will be your problem.

Brake drums tend not to wear out. They sometimes wear in such a way as to make garages prefer to change them because it makes their life easier when it comes to re-assembling. An "old school" motor engineer would be able to put them in a lathe and fettle them up in a few minutes.

Brake shoes (by law) have to be sold in axle sets. There are a total of 4 on the car and changing only one of them is dangerous (and absolutely pointless, considering you get all 4 in the set)!

One thought. If you go elsewhere for the work and an MOT, see if they will check the handbrake efficiency BEFORE they do the work. Is your handbrake actually poor? Does it hold the car on a reasonable slope? How many "clicks" do you get on the lever as you pull it up slowly, until you can't pull it any further? The reason I ask, is that if it meets the MOT requirements, you can appeal to the government department that runs the MOT scheme (DVSA) and complain about your previous station. The mere mention of an "appeal" strikes terror into the heart of most MOT testers because if the appeal gets investigated and goes against them, they can lose their tester's licence. You can access the forms online if you want to, but you need to do it within 14 days of the test:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...n-about-an-mot
Thanks SB1500, cherrycrush thanked for this post
Likes digger58 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Avocet is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 22-01-2017   #19
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Limerick
Posts: 1,644
Thanks: 59
Trader Rating: 0
Ireland 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Agree Avocet, but usually if brake drums have enough of a lip on them that they are hard to take off, it's often cheaper to fit new ones than take off old ones put them on lathe and skim them,(It's the time you're paying for) I have my own lathe and usually after removing a slight lip, the drum is very near its max and that contributes to braking inefficiency, For my own piece of mind I replace them if they are any way approaching max diameter. They are cheap, less than €30 for 2 for the cabrio!
Thanks cherrycrush thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

digger58 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 23-01-2017   #20
Dean
 
Zeewulf's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Redditch, West Midlands
Posts: 1,027
Thanks: 45
Trader Rating: 0
Zeewulf has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Quote Originally Posted by cherrycrush View Post
Thank you for your opinions! I went for a quick check today to see whether I really have a problem with the parking brake, and I was told that I need to change my brake shoes as they are around 75% worn (and cost 32 pounds from my local Euro Car Parts), so nothing near the ridiculous amount the first garage told me.

There is another local garage nearby, so will ask them tomorrow how much they will charge me to repair that and for MOT, as they do it there too, and I think that a smaller company which I'll use to do the repairs anyway, if they give me reasonable price, will have less incentive to charge me for more work later.

What's ridiculous is that the first garage wanted to charge me for a shoe (98 pounds only for 1, have no idea why they wanted to change one but not the other) AND 2 drums, so will check the drums and if they're ok and I pass the MOT, will talk to the Trading Standards about them giving me misleading information. On the phone they tried to convince me to change every part in the system, pretending that I'll pass the MOT in that way. Oh, and they gave me a quote from the previous day, dated one minute after my MOT receipt, although they "needed to check it the next day, as nobody knew what the problem was" - such scammers shouldn't be allowed to do any business.

@burrowsdeano - thank you for your kind words and advice! I would love to come to your garage, the problem is that I really have no whole day to spare to travel that far, as I'm working as well and I should get it done by the end of this week, preferably by Wednesday, when my current MOT expires, and I need to renew my tax too. But will keep you in mind for the future, should I need some specific work done.
Glad your getting it sorted. If you do have ANY questions about your car feel free to ask on this forum. I'm sure plenty of people will give you advice and hopefully we can save you a few pounds in the process
Thanks cherrycrush thanked for this post
__________________
Blue & Me Website - http://www.blueandme.net/blueandme/index.aspx/

Zeewulf is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 23-01-2017   #21
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South East, Berkshire
Posts: 18
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

@Avocet - Thank you for the info! My car actually stays on a slope, sometimes it moves just a little bit as soon as I release the foot brake, other than that I've had no problems with it (and hopefully I won't!), and I didn't know that it shouldn't be that way, as it's pretty much the same since I got it (it had MOT passed). Probably it became a bit unstable with the time, although the MOT didn't have any advice on that last year. It seems to me that it was a bit harder to pull before, but I just gave it to the fact that I got used to it with the time and started pulling it up easier and from the first time.

It does 5 clicks when I pull it slowly, how many are they supposed to be?

I booked a diagnosis with the other garage tomorrow, they said it may need only adjusting but I'll know for sure when they check it.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by cherrycrush; 23-01-2017 at 09:29.
cherrycrush is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 23-01-2017   #22
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Lambie's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stuck in A414 traffic
Posts: 163
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
Lambie has donated!
Egg Catcher Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Quote Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
[...] Is your handbrake actually poor? Does it hold the car on a reasonable slope? How many "clicks" do you get on the lever as you pull it up slowly, until you can't pull it any further? [...]
Mine holds on the last two pegs of the ratchet, any less than that and the car will slowly roll. Is this the normal amount do you reckon?
__________________
Lambie is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 23-01-2017   #23
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 316
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Quote Originally Posted by cherrycrush View Post
@Avocet - Thank you for the info! My car actually stays on a slope, sometimes it moves just a little bit as soon as I release the foot brake, other than that I've had no problems with it (and hopefully I won't!), and I didn't know that it shouldn't be that way, as it's pretty much the same since I got it (it had MOT passed). Probably it became a bit unstable with the time, although the MOT didn't have any advice on that last year. It seems to me that it was a bit harder to pull before, but I just gave it to the fact that I got used to it with the time and started pulling it up easier and from the first time.

It does 5 clicks when I pull it slowly, how many are they supposed to be?

I booked a diagnosis with the other garage tomorrow, they said it may need only adjusting but I'll know for sure when they check it.
That doesn't sound too bad? 5 clicks is reasonable (depending on how strong you are)! You could maybe get it down a bit with some adjustment but unless anyone has fiddled with it, the fact that it holds on a hill and only comes up 5 clicks all sounds fairly normal to me. Digger makes a fair point, by the time someone has taken the drums off and put them in a lathe the labour will come to something similar to the cost of a new pair, so it's maybe not worth messing about.

Good luck! And let us know what the other garage finds.
Thanks cherrycrush thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Avocet is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 23-01-2017   #24
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 316
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Quote Originally Posted by Lambie View Post
Mine holds on the last two pegs of the ratchet, any less than that and the car will slowly roll. Is this the normal amount do you reckon?
I can't remember off-hand how many pegs the ratchet has, and my daughter's car is away at present, but I think it's probably excessive. I like to see 3-6 clicks for full actuation but it depends on the car and how fine the teeth on the ratchet are, to be honest. The whole handbrake setup is a system of levers and they only really work effectively if every "link in the chain" is adjusted up, starting with the shoes. If you've ever stuck a crowbar under something to try and lift it, you tend to get the best leverage right at the start of the movement. After that, it gets harder and harder. The handbrake is much the same. DON'T be tempted to take the easy way out and adjust it on the cable under the centre console though. You have to start at the drums and work backwards towards the handbrake lever, adjusting the cables last.
Likes digger58 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Avocet is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-01-2017   #25
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South East, Berkshire
Posts: 18
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Here is an update on my handbrake situation:

I went to get it adjusted today, they didn't want to change anything and told me that it's almost sure it will pass the MOT, which I'll book for tomorrow with them. The good thing is that if it doesn't then it will be their fault so they'll repair it further, but I was told the shoes are ok for now (may need change as an advisory, but we'll see), and regarding the drums - I have no problems with them.

It feels different though, as it has 4 clicks now and it needs a lot more strength to put it up - probably how it should have been in the first place. And thanks a lot for your advice and time!
Thanks Zeewulf thanked for this post
Likes Pickwick, varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

cherrycrush is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 25-01-2017   #26
Dean
 
Zeewulf's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Redditch, West Midlands
Posts: 1,027
Thanks: 45
Trader Rating: 0
Zeewulf has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Quote Originally Posted by cherrycrush View Post
Here is an update on my handbrake situation:

I went to get it adjusted today, they didn't want to change anything and told me that it's almost sure it will pass the MOT, which I'll book for tomorrow with them. The good thing is that if it doesn't then it will be their fault so they'll repair it further, but I was told the shoes are ok for now (may need change as an advisory, but we'll see), and regarding the drums - I have no problems with them.

It feels different though, as it has 4 clicks now and it needs a lot more strength to put it up - probably how it should have been in the first place. And thanks a lot for your advice and time!
Did it pass the MOT ?
Likes cherrycrush liked this post
__________________
Blue & Me Website - http://www.blueandme.net/blueandme/index.aspx/

Zeewulf is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-01-2017   #27
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 316
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Quote Originally Posted by cherrycrush View Post
Here is an update on my handbrake situation:

I went to get it adjusted today, they didn't want to change anything and told me that it's almost sure it will pass the MOT, which I'll book for tomorrow with them. The good thing is that if it doesn't then it will be their fault so they'll repair it further, but I was told the shoes are ok for now (may need change as an advisory, but we'll see), and regarding the drums - I have no problems with them.

It feels different though, as it has 4 clicks now and it needs a lot more strength to put it up - probably how it should have been in the first place. And thanks a lot for your advice and time!
That's very encouraging. I doubt it would get an advisory for brake shoe wear because the MOT tester can't see the brake shoes without taking the brake drums off (and they're not allowed to dismantle). If it gets an advisory for the handbrake efficiency being borderline, that's a different matter. However, a pass is a pass! I don't think the handbrake should need more effort to apply? Might it be the case that you're having to pull it a lot harder to get it to the same position is used to be before it was adjusted? If so, that's hopefully a good sign (because it should mean you're getting a lot more "stopping" power from it if they've done their job right)! Do you have any steep hills nearby where you can go and try it to see if it will hold the car any better than it used to?
Thanks cherrycrush thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Avocet is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-01-2017   #28
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 316
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Oh, just out of interest, does your FOOTbrake feel any different? Have you noticed the pedal not moving as far as it used to for the same amount of stopping power?
Likes cherrycrush, varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Avocet is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-01-2017   #29
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South East, Berkshire
Posts: 18
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Hi again, here is an update of my situation, it started sounding like a joke already

So after the adjustment, it again failed the MOT, so I was told they really need to change the shoes. Managed to get a reasonable price for that (I even paid less for it than we initially agreed, which was a surprise), and afterwards I got my MOT certificate yesterday.

BUT I have an even bigger problem now. Yesterday it made me an impression that it makes some noise when I get in/out of the car and it was stopped on slight slope. Today, I went to test it on a bigger hill, to realize that they've made it worse, as it doesn't hold at all and it slides down. I have no problems in front of my house, as it's even here, but it started preoccupying me a lot. So I booked it in first thing on Monday morning, as the guy who did the work was off today - does anyone know what they may have fitted wrongly? When it failed it was doing 5 clicks, it used to do 4 clicks and to be heavier after their adjustment, now they're 6, but it takes a lot less effort to pull it up than before any adjustment.

I can't really tell whether the footbrake feels different, probably it doesn't or at least not too much to make me an impression. Is that a good or a bad sign?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

cherrycrush is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-01-2017   #30
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 20,171
Thanks: 720
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: MOT Failure - Parking brake problem

Need a 2nd opinion..

Something has MOVED..

Take it to a high street chain for a free/cheap brake inspection

TBH..I suspect only 1 side is actually working..

Which area of Reading..?
Im Streatley side

Charlie
Thanks cherrycrush thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by varesecrazy; 27-01-2017 at 13:25.
varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Electronic parking brake problem azafran 500X 9 04-07-2017 08:19
(G) binding rear brake MOT failure please mark seicento activesport Cinquecento / Seicento 14 14-04-2012 18:52
Rear brake MOT failure Seany84 Tech Talk 7 30-01-2012 19:39
(G) Brake Pressure Regulator: MOT Failure chr1s Ulysse 14 16-08-2009 20:31
(G) MOT failure, brake binding and headlights too high? jammydodger87 Cinquecento / Seicento 4 30-04-2008 17:03