Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010   #16
Forum Moderator
 
T14086's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Preston
Posts: 29,985
Thanks: 1063
Trader Rating: 0
T14086 has donated!
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by matty_oakley View Post
i assumed fiat uk would "give the dealer the tool, but i was told they had to pay for it themseves(chorley fiat/kia dealer) and fiat uk just pay there labour charges(alot of )
Fiat do refund dealer for wrench

Quote Originally Posted by Ffoxy View Post
It would be harsh to charge a dealership to fix a problem from Manufacture though, or maybe the Fiat contact I have was mis-informed. The dealerships would back charge Fiat anyhow... so maybe its a deal they do... no doubt some Fiat clever person will let us know.
Fiat never refunded the multipla spring compressor tool, same price as torque wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_oakley View Post
i can guarantee the dealer aint losing out, it took them fifteen mins to fix mine, yet i caught a glance of the job card, and it said 1.5 hours!!

whats the hourly labour charge these days?70-80/hr? jeees
0.5 is the allowed time, dealer lucky to get 18-20

Quote Originally Posted by bagmagtag View Post
Goes to show why servicing costs are so high! They charge Fiat for a two hour job when it only takes 15mins.
servicing costs are not high (read the servicing threads) and Fiat dictate the time allowed for recall work and pay the going rate...no more no less.
__________________
http://www.chryslerforum.co.uk//
T14086 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #17
West Wallaby Street
 
sledge's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Megawatt alley
Posts: 1,667
Thanks: 122
Trader Rating: 0
sledge has donated!
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

I was talking with our company solicitor today and just in conversation mentioned the fact my car had been recalled. He raised an interesting point regarding liability in this situation. It is his belief that as soon as you sign for the letter informing you of the exact details of the issue the responsibilty, should an accident occur as a result of the problem is totaly attributable to the owner, not the manufacturer and its for this reason they choose to use this way of notifying owners. In short its a way of shifting blame.

Its all on the basis that it could be argued the owner has made the choice to carry on using the car despite being made aware directly of the fact it could have a potentialy dangerous fault condition by the manufacturer themselves.

In the event of an accident manufacturers could defend themselves by saying....well, we told the owner via letter it ....**could**.... be dangerous and have proof of the fact they received it. We did everything we could within reason to put him in the picture but he made the choice to carry on using the car so its his fault not ours. If this was in a court attention would then turn to the owner and the following question would be asked. The manufacturer has told you it was potentialy dangerous and can prove the fact so why exactly did you carry on using it???......This is the point at which the blame shifts and you need to talk your way out of it........errrrrrr!!!.

Furthermore your insurance company are also within rights to refuse to pay out in the event of an accident if it was proven to be related to the fault for the same reasons ie: you knew the car had a possible safety related issue but chose to carry on using it, all of which can be proven.

Its in a very grey area and all scary stuff, his bottom line advice was dont use the car until its sorted and when it has been done get indisputable proof of the fact
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sledge is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #18
Computer says FAIL
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Staffs
Posts: 569
Thanks: 9
Trader Rating: 0
Shakey99 has donated!
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
I was talking with our company solicitor today and just in conversation mentioned the fact my car had been recalled. He raised an interesting point regarding liability in this situation. It is his belief that as soon as you sign for the letter informing you of the exact details of the issue the responsibilty, should an accident occur as a result of the problem is totaly attributable to the owner, not the manufacturer and its for this reason they choose to use this way of notifying owners. In short its a way of shifting blame.

Its all on the basis that it could be argued the owner has made the choice to carry on using the car despite being made aware directly of the fact it could have a potentialy dangerous fault condition by the manufacturer themselves.

In the event of an accident manufacturers could defend themselves by saying....well, we told the owner via letter it ....**could**.... be dangerous and have proof of the fact they received it. We did everything we could within reason to put him in the picture but he made the choice to carry on using the car so its his fault not ours. If this was in a court attention would then turn to the owner and the following question would be asked. The manufacturer has told you it was potentialy dangerous and can prove the fact so why exactly did you carry on using it???......This is the point at which the blame shifts and you need to talk your way out of it........errrrrrr!!!.

Furthermore your insurance company are also within rights to refuse to pay out in the event of an accident if it was proven to be related to the fault for the same reasons ie: you knew the car had a possible safety related issue but chose to carry on using it, all of which can be proven.

Its in a very grey area and all scary stuff, his bottom line advice was dont use the car until its sorted and when it has been done get indisputable proof of the fact
Thats a bit ghey, especially seeing as when i got mine booked in for this recall they cudnt fit me in for 2 weeks! thats not really fair or practical to expect a person whos too young for a courtesy car to not use their car for 2 weeks because there is a potentially dangerous fault with it, but the dealer cant fit them in! surely if it was that dangerous they would have gone slighlty out of their way to try and fit me in earlier?
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by manthatkidisscrewed View Post
"now presenting, the flaming man and his car" LOL
For sale 1.4 clio s, w reg, 68k, pm for info
Shakey99 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #19
West Wallaby Street
 
sledge's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Megawatt alley
Posts: 1,667
Thanks: 122
Trader Rating: 0
sledge has donated!
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

Well.......thats fair comment, but its not all about practicality, its about responsibility. If you have just lost your steering, run into a bus stop and wiped out half a dozen pensioners/schoolkids as a result and it could be proven you knew the car had a potential steering fault. Do you think the fact you couldnt get a courtesy car and had to wait for 2 weeks for the repair would be a reasonable excuse?....I dont.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sledge is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #20
Computer says FAIL
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Staffs
Posts: 569
Thanks: 9
Trader Rating: 0
Shakey99 has donated!
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

that is also a very fair comment, however, i am fortunate in the sense that i can walk to my place of work, however if i needed to drive to work or college, as some people will do, it isnt really a good reason or excuse to miss 2 weeks of work/education because your car has a potentially lethal defect that cant be sorted quicker?
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by manthatkidisscrewed View Post
"now presenting, the flaming man and his car" LOL
For sale 1.4 clio s, w reg, 68k, pm for info
Shakey99 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #21
Forum Moderator
 
T14086's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Preston
Posts: 29,985
Thanks: 1063
Trader Rating: 0
T14086 has donated!
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

I think if you explained your situation to the garage they could fit you in, if dealership chains were not so selfish and money grabbing they would pay techs overtime to get through the backlog of concerned owners!
__________________
http://www.chryslerforum.co.uk//
T14086 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #22
Computer says FAIL
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Staffs
Posts: 569
Thanks: 9
Trader Rating: 0
Shakey99 has donated!
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

true, it made me laugh more than anything, the fact that the letter said it was a serious safety issue etc and then they were like "we can book it in for 2 weeks yesterday"
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by manthatkidisscrewed View Post
"now presenting, the flaming man and his car" LOL
For sale 1.4 clio s, w reg, 68k, pm for info
Shakey99 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #23
West Wallaby Street
 
sledge's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Megawatt alley
Posts: 1,667
Thanks: 122
Trader Rating: 0
sledge has donated!
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey99 View Post
that is also a very fair comment, however, i am fortunate in the sense that i can walk to my place of work, however if i needed to drive to work or college, as some people will do, it isnt really a good reason or excuse to miss 2 weeks of work/education because your car has a potentially lethal defect that cant be sorted quicker?
So how did you manage before you learned to drive, and how would you manage if say.....your car developed a fault that couldnt be repaired within 2 weeks, or if it was stolen, or if for whatever reason you became unfit to drive, or we had a major petrol shortage??.....Life goes on and some people can actually cope without a car. I am sure you would find a way if you had no choice
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sledge is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #24
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 94
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

I agree, you have to be responsible and for safety, not drive it until its due for its recall..

However, if you can't drive it because its "unsafe" to do so, how on earth are you going to get it to the dealership lol. Secondly, as its a fault of fiat, and not something which has been done by the driver/owner of the car, fiat should pay for alternative transport. The guy who isn't old enough for a courtesy car should be entitled to either free bus or train passes or something similar. (Very unfair that they discriminate driver due to age!!)

Why should he have to pay for Fiat's crap service and faults?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

ut745 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #25
Computer says FAIL
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Staffs
Posts: 569
Thanks: 9
Trader Rating: 0
Shakey99 has donated!
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

As i live in a village in the middle of nowhere where busses run through just 5 times a day, stay in or walk about 10 miles to the nearest town.
I do understand that i am getting annoyed over a small issue because my car is used purely for social use, im just saying that its still a bit ridiculous as regardless of what a car is used for, making someone wait 2 weeks for a serious problem to be fixed is a bit cheeky.
Also just had another thaught, what happens if it fails when youre on the way to the garage to get it fixed, is it still youre fault?
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by manthatkidisscrewed View Post
"now presenting, the flaming man and his car" LOL
For sale 1.4 clio s, w reg, 68k, pm for info
Shakey99 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #26
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 94
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

One more thing, if it was such a "serious" issue, why would they send a letter in the post... Letters can get lost and can take time to come. I wasn't home when my recall letter came a week ago so they sent it back to fiat.. I'm sure it will take another week for them to send it out to me again. If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have known about the steering issue.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

ut745 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #27
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Solihull
Posts: 1,523
Thanks: 36
Trader Rating: 0
JimbbobW1977 has donated!
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

Got the letter as well the other day, booked it in this afternoon and they will have it in Tuesday, told it takes less than half an hour.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

JimbbobW1977 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #28
Computer says FAIL
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Staffs
Posts: 569
Thanks: 9
Trader Rating: 0
Shakey99 has donated!
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by JimbbobW1977 View Post
Got the letter as well the other day, booked it in this afternoon and they will have it in Tuesday, told it takes less than half an hour.
yeh mine was in for half 10 n out by 11
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by manthatkidisscrewed View Post
"now presenting, the flaming man and his car" LOL
For sale 1.4 clio s, w reg, 68k, pm for info
Shakey99 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #29
West Wallaby Street
 
sledge's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Megawatt alley
Posts: 1,667
Thanks: 122
Trader Rating: 0
sledge has donated!
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey99 View Post
Also just had another thaught, what happens if it fails when youre on the way to the garage to get it fixed, is it still youre fault?
Absolutely, no one, least of all Fiat or your dealer has told you to drive it there. You would have made that choice yourself. But if you could prove the fact you were taking it to be repaired which wouldnt be difficult if it was booked in I would imagine some leniency would be applied. I am looking at the recall letter now, its very cleverly worded so as not to incriminate. Its says there is a possible safety related issue and to make an appointment with your dealer, it doesnt say you must drive your car there. Fiat are telling you there is a possible problem and that the dealers will fix it FOC. It doesnt say how long the will take to fix it or what owners should do in the interim. The choice as to how to get the car to the dealer is being left with the owner.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sledge is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-02-2010   #30
West Wallaby Street
 
sledge's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Megawatt alley
Posts: 1,667
Thanks: 122
Trader Rating: 0
sledge has donated!
United Kingdom 
re: Recall 5397 - Steering Column Shaft

Regarding registered letters, there is indeed no guarantee they will be delivered to the recipient first time round......but at least Fiat can turn around and say....we did everything we relaisticly could to ensure the owner was informed, the fact he wasnt in when the letter was delivered is not our fault and is beyond our control.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sledge is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Punto electrical steering column/power steering fairview7 Punto (Mk2/2b) 3 19-02-2011 19:33
(G) Recall notice for old car. (5397) low610 Grande Punto 21 07-02-2010 19:36
(T) Steering column recall Daver Grande Punto 32 02-06-2007 01:53